Why so much hate over high elf options

I have to disagree I think as a paying customer we all have our opinions so you’re right we can all argue for what we want. And I would use my voice to point out and remind Blizzard what they said about core races coming first, especially since in specific terms to the core race Void Elves parallel there is disparity, two visual themes VS one.

I would love if the Alliance got more options. I’m so tired of the Elfpocalypse that WoW has become. I used to find the humans boring, but my goodness are the various flavors of Elves worse (well, one in particular. I actually don’t mind Night Elves or Nightborne).

There’s no pleasing them, so they should be given what they’re given and Blizzard should focus on giving you guys something awesome and better. Like the freaking Mechagnomes from Northrend as skin options or something. Or Naga…I don’t know, something visually distinct and cool.

2 Likes

I mean, we agree on this. Void Elves shouldn’t have been and it just made things worse

But, if Blizzard didn’t want people on the Alliance to want High Elves, then, well, they shouldn’t have made High Elves a minor Alliance group who showed up in… Vanilla, TBC, WotLK, Cata, MoP and Legion.

Folks want those minor races who show up again and again. And unfortunately through whatever reason, the only minor Alliance groups who reoccur were the two non-playable dwarves (Now both playable as of SL), the Broken/Krokuul (WHO WE SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN RATHER THAN VELVES) and High Elves. So… Simply because of how Blizz had the game going, HElves were always going to be a request

4 Likes

Don’t apologize, I get tired of all these lovey dovey conversations after a while. :wink:

Stating your opinion is not being a jerk.

1 Like

Void Elves should have been made from the Silver Covenant. High Elves as a “race/faction” should have been wiped out.

And neutral races have been a thing for some time. We’ve had Ogres/Mok’nathol present in the Horde for a while. Perhaps not as front and center as Elves, but still.

I do agree Blizzard should not have had the Elves so front and center. They had a playable Elf race they could have used but they apparently only are around for punching bags and kindling.

4 Likes

nope but I really stuck my heels in with the cant and wont thing :stuck_out_tongue:

Personally, I see a group of people who have always wanted to play as a character with a specific RPG alignment that exists in-universe but were told no for reasons both kinda flimsy (There aren’t enough alliance high elves left when not only are there are canonically thousands of them and there’s literally now a system built-in to solve for this very issue, the horde needs the population boost granted by the exclusivity of pretty elves or whatever when it clearly does not, it would create silhouette issues when that ship has sailed long ago) and quite reasonable (there are quite a lot of elven races to choose from at this point, your average 5-man dungeon is already like 4/5 elves) expressing their frustrations with an implementation that was probably intended to satisfy them but didn’t at all give them what they wanted.

If Blizzard was going to do it, they should have just done it instead of designing Void Elves as they were.

3 Likes

I love the new High Elf options coming, especially for Blood Elves. Which is ironic, coming from me, who was formerly an Anti-High Elf type of person.

…says the Belf dk with ridiculously eyebrows. I mean look at them things! Unless the power of the belf dk is derived from the brows or unless you named them, ya gotta trim them man! :joy:

Also, a lot of the hate from posters in this thread and elsewhere comes from some kind of internalized anger toward and infantilization of people who like looking at pretty things and characters. People who like elves get made fun of more than teenage girls. Grow up.

Welcome to why I’ve been on the “I want Void Elves removed from the game” kick ever since we found out they’d be ‘original faction with no previous reference’. I’ve been arguing they should have been scrapped since we found that out and being through this expansion has not changed my opinion on them one bit

Ogres and Mok’nathal are totally viable options for Allied Races that should remain viable. I would not wish the monkey’s paw that were VElves on them and ending up with an ‘its almost what you want but not really’ like VElves were

Oh we agree there. I personally dislike the customization they’re getting because it’s basically “We’re now Blood Elves, but way cooler” since they’ll have twice the options of Blood Elves.

They were a mistake from day one, and they’ve seriously soured my opinion of most Alliance Elf players in general.

You’re correct here. Blizzard was playing with fire by having the High Elves be so front and center, and now we’re in this frustrating situation where they’re going to continue demanding for more until they can be Blood Elves on the Alliance side.

At this point, we may as well remove the factions and let everyone play whatever race they want. I’d support that more than continuing to keep giving to the High Elf fans because nothing is enough.

2 Likes

No I do not see any irony. Want to know why? Because:

Dwarves are getting options to look like Wildhammer Dwarves.
Trolls are getting options to look like… I don’t even know how many different troll tribes.
Humans are getting options to look like several other ethnic groups.
Gnomes are getting options to look like several other ethnic groups.

Need I go on? Or are we still holding Void Elves to a different standard?

Now that’s not to say I don’t think Blood Elves shouldn’t also have a second “theme” as it were. Lann and many others will tell you I am big supporter of Blood Elves getting the Darkfallen aesthetic options that are currently used by Dark Ranger and San’layn NPC’s. I also have no objection to sharing Void Elf hairstyles with Blood Elves, especially if they get Darkfallen aesthetic options since I think they’d look amazing for a gothic San’layn character.

You were given the six and you want sixteen. Some people will never be satisfied by average, they always ask for more.

That’s your opinion. Mine differs. I wanted 8 inches. Void Elves were a 1 inch wonder. The new skin tones put us at a 4. Huge jump up but just shy of making my eyes roll back in my head. Once the hair colors and a tentacle toggle are squared away I’ll be satisfied and you won’t hear a peep out of me regarding requests for High Elf customization ever again.

You haven’t really helped the case of High Elves here, and really only further pointed out the various reasons why I really dislike the community and why Blizzard should have never even given you the inch in the form of Void Elves to begin with. It was a huge mistake, because no this will never end.

I’m not trying to make a case for High Elves here. That issue is almost completely settled once Shadowlands hits. I’m simply asking for the last thing needed to finish it off. There is no rule saying I can’t ask for what I want. I may not always get it, but nothing can stop me from asking for it. There’s also no rule saying that even if I get what I want that I can’t ask for more. I don’t see you complaining about Goblin, Blood Elf or Worgen players “asking for more”, so why should I be held to a different standard? The answer? I shouldn’t be and I won’t be.

It was a huge mistake, because no this will never end.

Requests from players for various things will never end. It’s human nature. But I can guarantee you one thing. Once Void Elves get some traditional hair colors and at the very least a toggle for the hair tentacles, I’ll be done asking for High Elf related customization.

6 Likes

I mean, I’m holding them to the standard of ‘Vanilla races should be getting the first customisation passes, not Allied races because if we were getting Allied races, then Nightbourne are priority 1’

8 Likes

I actually agree with you here. They could have made Void Elves wait for the skin tones for the allied race customization pass. Nightborne are in sore need of some major work :frowning: And that’s probably why they didn’t get first priority. Not enough time. Whereas Void Elf skins were copy/paste/done.

3 Likes

Because it’s a really dumb long-drawn out issue that people have even gone as far to doxx others over. I think most ppl are just tired and annoyed by the topic more than anything else.

3 Likes

Dwarves are getting tattoo options. That’s the only difference between Wildhammer and Bronzebeard: tattoos. And a total of three new skin colors.

Trolls are getting three new skin tones; two for “Dark Trolls”, one for Sandfury that already existed for Death Knights.

Humans are an outlier, they’re the only race getting more than any other of the playable races.

Gnomes are getting three skin colors.

Void Elves are getting 17 different skin colors: the Blood Elf options AND three new Void Elf specific options.

It’s not comparable. The only case you have is against Humans, who yes are getting more than anyone else because they’re the trophy case of Blizzard’s new customization.

Blood Elves, meanwhile, get four new skin colors. One more than some of the other races, but significantly less than what the Void Elves are getting. And you honestly claim that’s fair?

This is why I’m frustrated with the High Elves fans. So many new skin colors because they just gave you the Blood Elf customization, the Blood Elves get nothing unique outside of a black skin tone, and you still demand for hair changes as well. That is the irony that you’re missing.

You want High Elf and Void Elf options; no other race is getting that form of treatment.

There’s not for sure, but this is why I dislike the High Elf community. I’m sitting here with four face options, two antler options, and I don’t even get the Tauren customization that’s coming. Meanwhile I get to sit there and see all of the new options coming to Void Elves. Yes, I’m bitter. But it’s also a blatant walk back on what Blizzard promised about focusing on the base races first and letting the allied races be spruced up later. One of the allied races has been favored above all the others, and it’s definitely obvious which one has gotten the sheer amount of love.

They have every right to be requesting more because they were given, what, three new skin tones, a hair or two, and that’s it? Feel free to request more, but it hits a different note as you’re asking for a full Blood Elf to be playable on the Alliance side. Because you aren’t happy with Void Elves.

One out of however large number of people who will still be begging for more. I’m glad you’ll be satisfied, but it won’t end.

Void Elves were a mistake, that’s becoming more and more obvious.

10 Likes

All the while many HE fans want us to pretend the original VE options don’t count because were supposed to only “focus” the conversation to how Blizzard wants to give the HE customization to both VE’s and BE’s and “so much more” needs to still be done with VEs to do that.

Its annoying, I think they need to take a back seat I’m personally not against them in the future though, but I’m looking at my main / favorite race and seeing tons of people not return the same amount of effort I feel I’ve always extended and supported for them. Which is why I have less patience with a lot of HE fans as of late as well.

10 Likes

I think I can best explain this by showing my elf characters in the order I created them. First up is my BElf. I swore I wouldn’t make a BElf for a long time, they’re so ubiquitous. I needed a paladin, though, and I already had a Tauren Shaman. I made her female because I didn’t like the male model.

That’s really what it boils down to. I was fine with waiting, I didn’t mind it because the base races need a lot more love. And I was excited to see them get it.

Then an allied race gets a waterfall of new options, and they already had more than I have to start with. And they’re still demanding more. My patience is just…gone with them. They live in a bubble, and anything outside their bubble doesn’t matter.

14 Likes