Why raid logs/parses destroyed the WoW Classic experience for me

Parsing is kind of meaningless, and people need to stop giving it so much weight. A persons damage or healing in one raid would not be guaranteed to be the same if they had been in a different raid, and thus you cannot accurately compare people’s damage from one raid to another’s.

1 Like

Honestly reading this thread it more seems like OPs guild is actually pretty chill but OP was not only not trying to put effort in, but was also not a fun person to be around (read his posts around 120s where he starts trying to say disabled people can’t play WoW well) and doesn’t know what personal responsibility is

Parsing isn’t meaningless if you’re applying the numbers correctly though. No, you shouldn’t be expecting your entire raid to parse 90s. However, if you have two mages with about the same gear level and same spec in the same raid, one is parsing in the 90s and the other in the 40s, you should seriously be questioning what that 2nd mage is doing.

5 Likes

Damage meters and the people who live and die by them have indeed contributed to the destruction of community in this and other MMORPGs. From the people who refuse to move out of mechanics because they might not be first in damage (and then blame the healers when they die from standing in the fire) to the people who constantly spam their damage in chat and then tell you, “I am hardly even TRYING!”, e-peen meters and those who live for them are a cancer in many MMORPGs.

They turn what should be a cooperative effort into a competitive one and for no other reason than for them to feel slightly better about themselves because their e-peen is a bit bigger than the other members of the team. Now, I know there are people who only use damage meters to help themselves and their performance in the game but for every one of those people there are a hundred others who only want to use those tools to promote how “awesome” they are and to remind you just how much you “suck” in comparison.

The only thing you can really do is just what you did; leave those people and their e-peens behind. Find yourself a guild and people who play this game for the community and cooperative aspects of it rather than trying to turn it into a giant e-peen contest. One of the bad aspects of Classic as compared to Vanilla is that there are fewer RPG players and FAR more meta-gamers, but I have found a really good bunch of people to play with and I am sure you can as well. There are still a bunch of good community minded folk who play Classic.

I wish you well in finding them and getting back to your enjoyment of the game. :slight_smile:

Thanks.

5 Likes

I know man it’s annoying as heck. I’m in a guild who started out casual with a dkp system and then went to loot corruptsil for BWL saying if you don’t use consumes you’ll be less considered for loot. If you had the misfortune to make a mistake and pull aggro you’d get passed on for loot over someone who already has most big ticket items…

Like one of the mage in our guild has 4 trinkets, nels tear toep quickening gem and now the Hakkar one while a warlock who parses higher than all the casters including the mage still has 2 blues, eye of the beast and reef just because he doesn’t watch threat or bust the consume bank every raid lol…

And now they’re making flasking mandatory for everyone for AQ… rip having a fun long lasting guild I guess

The raid leadership should, but it’s of no business for others. Otherwise you get a very abrasive witch-hunting sort of atmosphere. This is why some raids keep their logs private - because it can encourage this kind of antagonistic behavior.

I agree that it should be addressed if it becomes a problem, but privately between those in charge and those in question. Unsolicited advice is unwanted advice, otherwise.

1 Like

sounds like you need to be more assertive

The truth is not in him.

i mean you would have to be cripplingly disabled to not be able to play a classic rotation its like 1-2 buttons for most classes

You aren’t even playing well relative to other ret paladins. Your argument sucks

2 Likes

lol enhance.
lol ret.

False, parsing IS stupid, and people like you, who think it’s essential, are what ruined WoW for me. Enjoy it with the folks who agree with you (there are several), but that’s not for me.

The game should have been about getting to know people, laughing together as you mess up and fumble through the content in a casual, social, fun sort of atmosphere. The kind of atmosphere that leads to funny stories and friendships which persist beyond the raid (or the game). Instead we have min/maxers and people with no social awareness (or inclination toward being social or fostering friendships), acting like drill sergeants over a game that should be embarassing to spend hundreds of hours playing if you werent just messing around with friends…but wait, that’s not the game anymore…it’s not a game, it’s a grindy job interview where the social interactions and friendships are secondary, if that. Frankly, it’s embarassing.

I’ve seen you around on the forums and am not trying or expecting to bring you around to my point of view. But maybe you will have a better understanding of why I (and the folks in my camp) are so frustrated with what you min/max parser types have done to WoW, and to modern gaming in general. Peace.

4 Likes

Why don’t you get together and play the game with those like-minded people? How are people you don’t have to play with ruining the game for you?

5 Likes

Parsing is neither stupid nor essential. It is a tool, like any other in the game, and it is what you do with it that matters.

Simply put, the player base is not the same as it was in 2004. Most of the players are either older, and have less time to fool around, or are used to different types of games than ones about ‘getting to know people, laughing together as you mess up and fumble through the content in a casual, social, fun sort of atmosphere.’ They want to get through the raids, to get the gear, because the ‘discovery’ aspect is already done. No one is discovering new things in Classic. Everything has been known and theorycrafted for years now.

Parsing is a tool. When used well, it shows where you’re weak, and things to work on, just like reviewing film after a game in any team sport. This leads to self-improvement, and the improvement of your raid team overall. The raids are a lot more fun when you’re making it through and killing Ragnaros than when you’re stuck wiping on Garr and Baron.

Where people take it too far is when they judge parsing high as the be-all and end-all. When they are getting numbers for numbers’ sake, so they can show off to other people. And this is nothing new. Even back in the day, you had people who would compare damage meters, to crow about being top DPS and the like. These people ignore that, for instance, a Warlock who kept his add locked down with Banish the whole fight is not going to parse well on Garr compared to the other ranged DPS, but that does not mean he wasn’t doing his job perfectly.

1 Like

It can be both. One doesn’t negate the other. I started posting logs for my guild just because I’ve been an officer in my retail guild for years and it’s just what I’m used to doing. Nobody asked me to. It started just so that I could gauge my own performance but I posted them for anyone else who wanted to look at them too. Now it’s a staple and my guildies are eager for them after raids. Not to stroke their e-peens but to genuinely see how they did and how they can improve. No one is using them as a weapon. I’ve heard one tank ask another to look at his logs and help him with his rotation. I’ve had a gaggle of hunters question me on how to read them so they can do the same and I’ve heard them pulling other hunters up. Never push them down using the logs. Last night I heard one of our rogues react with glee that he was beaten by another rogue in dps on a fight because he’s normally top dps. He was happy to see a fellow guildie step up. That’s the nature of my guild. We laugh together, we have fun together and we enjoy each other’s company. None of that is affected because we log raids.

3 Likes

Hey now: somebody has to unlock the loot.

Plus: we bail you out in open world pvp all the time!!

I’ve noticed a few people saying that you are wrong about certain things because they were in vanilla too. Yes meters were a thing in vanilla, same as DBM, or what not, but not right away. They game around what, half way into the game?

Back on topic though, min/maxing was kind of a thing in vanilla, now it’s just more wide spread. But those guilds that want to always clear all the raids with no wipes, well, they will ALWAYS want the raid to be performing at a certain %. They want to be “successful”, that’s all they want out of it. And to them, that’s there version of fun. I suggest just looking for a new guild that’s “casual” over hardcore. I consider myself a casual, I don’t care about parsing, just here for fun and to see the classic raiding scene. Told the GM that day one and he was ok with that.

You’re wrong dude. You can’t speak in absolutes like that.

I’ve tanked and DPS’d (warrior) at very high competitive levels in Classic. Primarily, I’m a tank at heart. I’m also old school, as I suspect you are. Generally, I believe what you believe. It is the DPS’s job to adjust their threat output according to the tank, not the other way around.

But to say that DPS should never, under ANY circumstance pull threat is just wrong. Obviously, there are situations where it’s going to happen. Sometimes that’s very bad, and sometimes it’s fine.

For example, if a DPS warrior is playing perfectly, they should absolutely be pulling threat at the very last second of the execute phase. In a perfect scenario, the tank should be taunting for this very reason. But sometimes taunts resist… The DPS should also be lipping while they pull aggro so they can go ham for the last 6 seconds etc…

Then there are entirely different encounters where bosses aren’t taunt-able, or they have aggro drops that happen (somewhat) randomly. Generally, yes DPS need to be monitoring their threat output. But If DPS are too cautious with their threat, they are leaving unspent aggro on the table. This means the boss died less quickly and healers had to heal more. If you’re playing competitively, playing too cautiously is also bad.

As for healing DPS, there is such a thing as AoE damage in lots of encounters, you know. It happens. Healers have to heal melee sometimes.

And then for every single situation I’ve described, there are situations that are totally different and require adjustment. Sometimes DPS should never pull aggro. Sometimes, the risk of pulling threat is acceptable because you’re speed clearing. Ideally, healers are aware of these risks and ready to react accordingly.

This whole argument you guys are having is just silly.

This.

I acknowledged earlier that there were select strategies and circumstances where it might be acceptable. But bottom line, in general if you are not specifically tasked with doing so as dps, you shouldn’t.

The argument started because someone tried to claim that if a DPS pulls agro it is always because the tank is bad. And wouldn’t acknowledge in the slightest that DPS are responsible for their own agro.

Does that mean DPS might sometimes have agro sure, but if they do they better have planned to do so and it’s not just because they were too lazy/incompetent to use a threat meter.

OP sounds like a real gem to group with

wants to play tourist and get loot

plenty of guilds dont care about parses. maybe try any number of those.