Why raid logs/parses destroyed the WoW Classic experience for me

You can compare yoruself to other players of the same spec/class.

Which is why most of my effort goes out the window after a death that I couldn’t avoid.

You used to be able to gear check other people to see if theres a massive difference gearwise. Alittle deeper diving does tell you if someone is outgearing you substantially.

The utility shows up in kill speeds and lack of deaths. The faster somethign dies the more likely you are to parse well.

This would be an awesome feature ie a “how much damage did I add to the raid/group” feature would be amazing.

healing parses ARE a joke. if you look at healers in speed running guilds’ parses, they are usually all over the place. 99’s randomly happen because of speed and RNG. However, there are certain fights where i expect people to parse well. If you’re a priest assigned to heal melee dps on firemaw…there’s almost zero chance that you can do your job properly without doing a high amount of HPS. this is speaking for my guild only. healing parses CAN be useful but it requires knowledge of the healing assignments as well as general knowledge of raid strategy, to know exactly when healers will have to pump out more heals.

Clearly that’s not true, but it’s nothing compared to the mechanics in retail.

I guess the default raid UI is OK
In raids, i prefer z-perl with partyframe hidden.
No macro, i would not like much at all, i would need more keybinds
and no mouseover, that would mess me up terribly

Same roll and class, not same spec. One of the top 10 Boomkins on Ony is actually a feral because warcraft logs just guess at your spec. Heck our feral MT is listed in the DPS section on many bosses.

Prses push a culture of “If you die, further effort is pointless” it creates a mentality that killing the boss is not the priority, parses are. I often find that on trash the priority becomes “dont die” over “kill target”.

Ilvl in wow is deceptive since a well optimized piece might have a lower Ilvl than another piece since much of the stat allocation was garbage in vanilla. It also doesnt really capture the extent to which any particular upgrade will impact damage. A warrior might have the same Ilvl but one has armor upgrades and one has weapons. The weapons will do significantly more.

Utility shows up in succesful kills, but it doesnt necessarily show up in kill speeds. Most of the fastest clears just stack warriors and drop the bosses in like 15-30 seconds. There is little opportunity for utility to even manifest since it shines most often when things are going poorly. Its kinda like insurance, its very hard without significant calculations and knowledge of variables to put a value on it. My main team is super druid heavy, not optimal, but we have often been saved in a sticky situation by having 3-4 battle rezzes ready and available while one of our other teams has only 1-2 druids and there have been many situations where not having that B rez resulted in a wipe. When your logs only include one factor(DPS or healing) there is no room to add those situation values in as a consideration.

I guess the biggest problem I have with the CULTURE of parses/logs is that it enables a very black/white mentality that bleeds into everything else.

1 Like

Pretty much. Healing parses depend a lot on your assignments. While the % is fun to look at, it’s often more useful to check other things. Overhealing, casts, raid deaths, clustering with other healers etc.

I’m always assigned to raid healing on fights like Vael. I’m going to absolutely demolish the healing chart compared to my peers who are assigned to the tank. This does not mean I am doing a better job than them just because I’m going to “parse higher”. Healing is much more of a group effort than an individual one.

2 Likes

Its useable. But having to click the target, then start a cast is two actions instead of one. It also doesn’t give you information about incoming healing etc, so you are much more likely to have selected a target that is already going to get healed and have to cancel or overheal.

So, it’s just usually going to be less effective than something else that organizes the raid info in a more easily useable way.

It also doesn’t help that people dont really assign heals like they used to. Basically if you dont spam a fast heal they will often be completely wasted.

Yes but this is not always the case re: raid healing leads to better parses than tank healing. Sometimes the raid takes so little damage even from an expected mechanic, so tank healing becomes more conducive for parsing, because its the only source of damage taken for an entire fight. An example of this would be broodlord. We have 2 guys assigned to do nothing but shield the tanks after MS and top off all the melee after a blast wave. in a 40 second kill this week we actually got no blast waves. But its a lot of give and take considering the endless amount of RNG you have to deal with.

Dont join raids with people who are likely YouTube sheep or from private servers? Or total control freaks? For Ret: chill till AQ40?

I actually don’t mind private server guilds or YT acolytes at all…but…not on my Boomkin until I explain my role as Faerie Fire machine.

Its like pick-up games at gyms: assess your competition.

I mean, you knew the score after all that time, right?

This isn’t really controversial, or even new. I was making the same argument back in 2005, a long with many other people. Addons objectively held back tons of potential vanilla could’ve had. But we ultimately knew then what is just history now, there was no putting that cat back into the bag once it was already out. Just something we had to tolerate for the rest of our WoW careers

This has nothing to do with the game itself; it depends on the demands of your raiding guild.

If you are not meeting the demands of your guild, for whatever reason, then they are fully within their rights to ask why, and restrict you from raiding until you can improve.

If you don’t like that, then find a less demanding guild. It’s that simple.

2 Likes

This completely depends on the guild you run with. If it is pushing new content everyone is under a microscope. That doesn’t mean you are automatically eliminated, but you do receive suggestions on how to improve your performance, and, if it isn’t up-to-par you may be benched.

Yes, the raid guilds I ran with did use parses. As a healer we especially looked at over healing, and healing outside your assigned group(s). Heck we even checked consumables and you were benched if you didn’t bring the required consumables.

Of course things were much more relaxed once Raids were on farm, but yes, the kinds of things you are complaining about did exist in Vanilla. There were always more people that wanted to raid than could be accommodated, so, if you didn’t pull your weight, well, expect to be benched :slight_smile:

P.S. One of the go-to sites for most raiders was Elitist Jerks.

Resto druid here. The thing about not playing the flavor of the month class is that you have to work harder at it to do well with it or why take up the challenge in the first place? I know damn well I have to work harder than my fellow healers to keep up with them and I knew that going into it. My BWL logs aren’t where I would like them yet even if my MC and ZG logs are great but I’m not giving up just because “I’m a resto druid. I’m not supposed to heal as well as pallies and priests.” Screw that. I will dig through my logs until I find out why I’m not doing so hot and fix it. If you had a class or heal lead whose job it is to do the same thing for the guild then they did what they were supposed to do by digging through the logs and attempting to help you do better too. It’s not fair to the rest of your heal team to have to carry you and pick up your slack because you didn’t see fit to put in the effort to come prepared.

If you’re interested, I could tell you how to instantly boost your healing on a few of your fights in BWL.

I know what part of it is. My MT loves me and doesn’t want to share my HoTs. He’s also the raid lead so I get assigned to him on Vael and just about every fight. For the Dragons it’s because we only have 3 people taking damage and at least 8 healers on 3 people leaves me out in the cold. We were slower to start BWL but I have hopes that my healing will get better with time in there.

I did not originally bring it up.

Right, but you’ve been arguing back and forth for a while, it could be this, it could be that, which is kinda pointless when the thing you are arguing about can literally tell you very quickly who’s right.

If you care enough to argue about it, you really should just look.

What you and others cannot grasp is that no matter what, DPS should keep their threat below the tank. There is ZERO excuse to step over that line, ever. If a tank sucks, or if he is underbuffed/undergeared, the time and place to hash that out is not when they are in the midst of trying to hold aggro and you feel like padding your parse. Stepping over the threat line as a DPS is not just optional, and you risk the entire raid by doing so.

Bro just join a more chill guild. Sounds like you joined 2 elitist guilds. And theirs not many worse gamer personas out there than Classic WoW elitists. Theyre complete and utter spergs who think min/maxing a 15year old game thats has a joke for difficulty level is cool.

Stick to the more chill guilds you’ll still clear the raids no problem, it will just take longer. but on a plus side theyll most likely have more fair loot rules.

2 Likes