Why It's Time for Blizzard to Build Player Housing in World of Warcraft

Truth be told, I support the idea that Blizzard needs to invest in new features for guilds and give them a comprehensive overhaul—whether it’s the UI, guild banks, or the Looking for Guild feature. All of it is outdated and has been left behind. I made a post about it here: Revitalizing Guilds in World of Warcraft.

But the fact is, more and more people are playing solo. A big part of this is the difference in playstyles and the presence of toxic players—let me be clear, not all skilled players are toxic, just like not all solo players are. I’ve learned recently in another thread, I’ve Realized that What Makes MMOs FUN is NOT Playing with Other People, that it’s not just skilled players who have a “rush” mindset. Casual players who don’t have much time also want to get as much done as they can in the time they have. Let’s face it, we’re not in school or college anymore—time is no longer our friend. But there are also many players who enjoy taking their time during runs. Both types of players pay for their time in the game, and both should be able to play the way they want without being told how to enjoy it.

The “massively multiplayer” aspect means that many players inhabit the same world, interacting with it and each other. However, this doesn’t mean every player has to engage in group activities all the time. For many, part of the role-playing fantasy is the freedom to choose how they interact with the world—whether that’s forming alliances, crafting, gathering, exploring, or yes, even playing solo.

Solo players contribute to the world in ways that often go unnoticed but are vital to the game’s economy and community. For example, many solo players are dedicated crafters and gatherers who fulfill orders for gear, gather resources, and help stock the Auction House. Isn’t that a form of interaction with the world and other players? It might not involve direct communication or group activities, but it’s a crucial part of what keeps the game alive and dynamic.

Consider this: how many WoW players are solo players or prefer a mix of solo and group content? Compare that to the dwindling number of guilds, partially due to the difficulty of finding groups where everyone respects different playstyles. It’s important to recognize that not all solo players are opposed to group content; some simply prefer to engage with it on their own terms, perhaps joining in for specific goals like transmog runs or old content. If players who never group for content want to have a house and decorate it, let them. It won’t hurt those of us who are still doing group and guild activities. But solo players must understand that any solo content will never offer the best gear like M+ or Heroic Raid content. Group content will always be harder because humans are more dynamic and unpredictable, making encounters more challenging.

Lastly, I want to remind everyone to be respectful to each other. Not all skilled players are rude, just like not all solo players are.

Remember, guys, be kind to each other. We’re all members of the same community. Yes, we will encounter rude people, but that doesn’t mean everyone is like that. Let’s keep the community strong and supportive!