Why isn't DF selling like hotcakes?

I’ve personally been playing Wrath with a friend and hadn’t had time for DF. And I really want to finally finish that FFXIV storyline.

Which is a bit sad because DF seems to be everything that I want, but I would be playing on my own and it’s not as fun.

I just started Shadowbringers. It’s really good so far!

4 Likes

it helps to have a lore reason to do it for some.

Example. My eve return. Minmatar (race I play now most in faction warfare) has hated amarr for almost 20 years. This is eve’s 20th anniversary year as a side note. they have never been friends in that 20. Never ever eva…

amarr had us as slaves. now we are free. and we have jsut a bit of a chip on our shoulder about it.

and for the new expac the new reason to hate them. they torched a minmatar planetary system. They burned a tree like teldrasil so to speak.

we won’t in 2-3 years be going lets be friends. Amarr already had a blood debt to the minmatar not paid off. Now they tacked on even more.

old hatreds die hard theres your lore reason in wow your reason doesnt have to be the alliance’s or horde’s especially nelfs can say “Dey turk our treee”

There are a whole lot of people chipping in theories to explain a premise that has no foundation - that Dragonflight sold poorly.

We don’t know. We probably won’t have a better idea until the Q4 2022 ATVI reports, and that hasn’t happened yet. Until then it’s speculation, not fact.

Blizzard burned all their good will. So people have permanently moved on. Simple as that. It doesn’t matter if DF is “good”(opinionated).

3 Likes

We can draw conclusions from 2 things:

1. They haven’t announce first day sales, which they bragged about in previous expansion releases.
  2. There have been a great many promotions, including a free trial to roll and play a dracthyr if you haven’t bought the expansion.

I think that between these two we could reasonably guess that they didn’t break any records. In fact I’ve heard that they were surprised that prepurchases were down, which actually gave them a great deal of time to come up with subsequent promotions.

7 Likes

Well yeah, there are signs. But people are all over this thread stating it as a fact, when the reports for the quarter aren’t even released yet. So far it’s just speculation and guesswork.

Ultimately, if net bookings are still good for the quarter they’re going to tout a good quarter despite the specific unit volume sold.

Citation needed.

For previous expansions we knew well before the next quarterly that sales numbers were good.

And we will see how MAU’s turn out, won’t we?

1 Like

lol, that Earthworm Jim screen is my computer background. When I bought Win95+ I got a free copy of EWJ that included the EWJ Win95 theme. It was my favorite theme even if I didn’t like the game all that much.

1 Like

I can’t seem to get into DF. There are too many systems and grinds you have to do (more than in the past I think). Plus, they retired all the interesting lore characters in BfA and SL. It doesn’t feel like the same game anymore.

4 Likes

1> I got 30 posts into this and still no one has asked: where is the PROOF of sales data??

2> Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you should know by now that WoW’s demo DOESN’T HAVE TIME TO PLAY THIS GAME ANYMORE. And everything, specifically professions, in DF takes MONSTROUS amounts of time.

3> Imagine paying a sub-fee for a game, and yet everyone’s answer to everything is “meh… just buy a Token.”

As some have pointed out, I can kinda see the design and integration of micro-transactions for games that are free. Gotta pay for server rooms somehow.

But WoW isn’t free. I hate how so much of WoW revolves around the Token now.

4> I could go on but… until I see verifiable sales numbers…

8 Likes

The issue is when you have a clear pattern that has been deviated from, it makes people wonder.

They announced SL 3.7m sold in 2 weeks.
They announced BfA 3.4m sold in 2 weeks.
They announced Legion 3.3m sold after 1 week.
They announced WoD 3.3m sold after 1 week.
They announced MoP 2.7m sold after 2 weeks.
They announced Cata 3.3m sold after 1 week.

They also released some deals a week after it launched, the “we need to do better” interview, and the road map that came out super quickly. Also the Tyrael’s charger added to the cash shop. All signs point to DF having a less than stellar launch. Of course, a big reason may be WotLK. Right now zero of my friends play DF, but a bunch of them are all playing Wrath Classic.

5 Likes

Exactly… :slight_smile:

Not really, your ability to improve at professions has a weekly limit but the actual time investment required is low. Also the gold price of a WoW token has dropped by like a third, and it isn’t actually harder to make gold than it was in SL

You’re just talking about MAINS. On mains, it just “kinda sucks.”

I’m talking about ALTS. I’m talking about getting my main to be self-sufficient for M+ and Raiding.

I was 100% ready for that by the start of S1 in every expansion to date.

In DF, that will take me AT LEAST 9 months, if not a year.

That is RI - DICULOUS.

1 Like

If you wait until you get bored of your main to start doing weeklies on your alts then maybe that’s true, but you don’t even need to be at 70 to start doing profession stuff

1 Like

We have lives outside of Wow. Who has the time to advance in DF? It’s too much.

1 Like

Who said anything about PvP? Plenty of folks enjoy the Horde/Alliance story and dynamic without engaging in PvP.