Why isn't DF selling like hotcakes?

Seems weird, compared to Shadowland’s sales. It seems like the people who are playing like this game- at least during the honeymoon period but I guess the same for Shadowlands. I know we are starting to lose players and may lose some more when Ulduar releases, but I am confused as to why there are many less players for a relatively good expansion. Maybe WoW is just too old?

20 Likes

No lockdowns either, people can go out and touch grass with other real people.

65 Likes

Hotcakes are delicious and can be eaten. Once you buy one, you want to buy another every day going forward. WoW expansions only need to be purchased once. So to compare their sales is probably going to produce irrelevant results.

58 Likes

All sorts of possible explanations.

One of them being the removal of the franchise’s core. (But we’re not allowed to talk about that, around here.)

61 Likes

What do you mean by “franchise’s core?” Thanks for the input.

8 Likes

The Horde/Alliance cold war.

42 Likes

gotcha thanks

3 Likes

Because the game has been bad for years and more and more people are catching on.

150 Likes

If I had it to do over again I would have not bought it. It’s fun and all but I hate Dragon riding.

61 Likes

Honestly? After EVERYTHING that happened during shadowlands (from the hodgepodge story to all the dirty laundry aired) people are still skeptical, and are holding back waiting to see if blizzard has truly changed and or is finally listening.

Blizzard is very much still earning back trust, and that’s not an overnight thing, so time will tell I guess (though if you ask me so far this expansion is amazing)

71 Likes

Shadowlands released when it was world wide [almost] lockdowns.
Dragonflight was not.

Simple reason.

Hyper inflated sales.
What we are seeing now [guessing of course since I don’t have any numbers] is we have more or less the normal sales WoW tends to get at this point in it’s lifespan.

14 Likes

Uh raid the same raid for weeks? Do a million mythic+ runs? Pvp gearing isn’t based on rating anymore either so…

WoWs playerbase logs in less everyday, I think everyone has had a good amount of time to play and have seen mostly everything.

14 Likes

The logins have definitely fallen which is curious. I dunno.

3 Likes

people are still burned from 2 bad expansions and shadowlands was the nail on the coffin. df has proved to be better than the last 2, but it’s still pretty dry imo. they’re gonna need more than cool dragonriding to bring the people back. it’s still the same ol crap with boring time gating grinds, turd balancing and idiotic decisions such as group loot no one asked for. wow just isnt the same anymore.

65 Likes

probably because shadowlands was bad in a lot of ways, so people are less inclined to buy dragonflight unless they think it will be significantly better, but they don’t look into it enough to know what the improvements in dragonflight are, or the things that are important to them are not improved

7 Likes

Well by that logic, what really worked was “raid or die”, guess they should go back to that.

Why isn’t DF selling like hotcakes?

Hotcakes are cheaper for one thing.

22 Likes

After several failed experiments, it’s not surprising to see buyer’s hesitancy.

36 Likes

Actually, IHOP, and Denny’s sales are down significantly compared to the past. Maybe hotcakes aren’t the sure bet everyone thinks they are.

12 Likes

Could also be fatigue because nothing lasts, anymore. A lot of people got tired of Blizzard obsoleting everything a few months after it came out with their constant “catch-up gear”.

(Something else people never talk about.)

23 Likes