Why is there a shutdown on Wednesday?

They can hire my contracting company, but they can eat sand if they think talented engineers will apply and work grueling hours to repair that junk.

Fixing this as a salaried employee is almost impossible, fixing it as a contractor is often the only way because that’s the point in which a company has actually admitted they don’t know what they’re doing. Much harder to get a company to admit that as an actual employee from the inside.

They have my contact info, and they can see these forum posts. If they want this fixed, they can reach out to me :slight_smile:

IDk but yesterday I was able to unlock the Dark Iron Dwarves even though I had not met the requirements.

I know this stuff isn’t easy, but it’s not nearly as hard as everyone dismisses it as being, either.

Well, then if you work in gaming you are well aware that Blizzard is not trying to solve issues they had 18 years ago. They have changed the WoW code, systems, and infrastructure many many times. It changes nearly every patch.

Not every change goes as well as they would like, esp when subjected to live environments.

Example. Character boosts have worked fine for years. Something changed recently and now they are locked and unplayable. This is high priority to fix. Maybe today?

Really though, unless a game is very simple, any major change is going to have bumps in it when complex systems come together.

It is what it is.

2 Likes

Would we rather it be on turkey day?
Im sure could be arranged that way.
Better today than go hide from the family day til foods ready day .

2 Likes

Why do you think this has anything to do with infrastructure ?

More likely to be a code update which requires restarting.

1 Like

Made me spit my coffee everywhere, lol

Hotswapping means you can spool up a patch version of whatever you’re working on and cut traffic over, it’s often done slowly with a certain % of traffic being split between the old and new to make sure all is well. If the patched system handles load well, you then cutover everything.

It’s definitely a code issue at the core, but the code lives on infrastructure and that infrastructure can be handled in a way that those code updates do not cause downtime.

2 Likes

That would be my guess. Even if it is just server side code. There are some pretty big issues right now that need fixing.

Sorry guilty as charged :dracthyr_a1:

Dracthyrs keep chewing the power cords.

3 Likes

The most likely answer :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Works wonderfully for stateless applications like web pages.

Works less wonderfully for stateful applications like game engines.

No, it’s a “WoW is not a stateless Web Frontend” issue.

1 Like

Mmk, well, you can pose a question as bait and then switch to try and argue. My point still stands, these problems can be solved.

I didn’t bait nor try to argue. I’m just saying jumping on the “they’re bad and they don’t know infrastructure” is just asinine when you don’t actually know what’s going on.

If you’re talking about stateless web server farms, sure.

WoW just isn’t that. Games have state. Unless you can write an entire routine to copy over the state of a game into an upgraded version of it, and swap connections on the fly, taking into account any changes to the game state structure in the new build, you’ll never achieve it, and that sounds like a hot mess.

Restart it, it’s a game, not 24/7 mission critical infrastructure.

1 Like

Was thinking the same thing. Anything tightly coupled w/ dependencies that dictate state and vice versa can’t be so easily “hotswapped” (this isn’t a real term in the dev industry lol) w/o risking poisoning.

The implication here is that they are maintaining state on the servers themselves, again, major tech debt and design flaw.

These problems can be solved. You can believe they cannot be, and that’s fine. I know they can be.

Also guilty of this like not my fault that theres just a ton of pretty Ash bringers lying around the Paladin Order hall collecting dust and that cords are very delicious :dracthyr_cry_animated:

You have two downstream systems that both communicate with whatever maintains state. One has the patched version of what you’re working on, the other one does not. You A/B test and do whatever is necessary.

This isn’t that hard.

Uh ?

No.

What.

Dude. The server needs to know which mob is spawned, alive, dead, looted, unlooted, for the entire game world. Which event is triggered, what phase it’s in, what mechanic is currently firing, etc…

There’s plenty of state on the server side and none of it is a Flaw.

You literally have no clue what you’re talking about do you ?

1 Like