Why Is "Prestige" Attached to Achievements

Some people consider AotC or CE to be prestigious. Others consider KSM or KSH to be prestigious.

Why? These achievements require 0 effort for relatively a low amount of gold.

To me, prestige is the product of effort. The only achievements I’d entertain as being “prestigious” at this point are solo ones, e.g. Mad World or Mage Tower ones, although even with those some people will go into full stupid mode and share their accounts to boosters, or others will say “lol you did fury Agatha, worthless” or “you cheesed [insert any class here] pre-nerf”, rendering the achievement meaningless.

Maybe we should just entirely forget the idea of “prestige” in a game where gold gets you anything you want, and just be happy with our own avatars rather than making fun of the neighbor for their messy backyard.

2 Likes

I do these things for me. To hell with someone trying to justify why my accomplish doesn’t matter. Prestige should be in the game regardless if there’s bad apples trying to ruin it. Rewards for effort are important.

6 Likes

5 Likes

I think a whole lot of people already do ignore this and it wasn’t because people can buy things, it is because in my opinion anyway, it just isn’t anything special.

2 Likes

Ever since boosting was normalized, achievements have lost their value =(

1 Like

Why is prestige attached to achievements?
Because there’s dollars attached to them now.

That’s really all that’s left now. (pauses for "I’m sorry your poor " counterargument from somebody because I won’t buy gold)

To be sure there’s some things like the current mage tower that are (most of the time) your own undeniable skill at work… until you google it and find that you can RMT that as well.

Precisely my thinking. Anytime someone equates an achievement, or anything really, to prestige, I can’t take them seriously anymore.

My achievements have prestige to me. Yours don’t mean anything to me unless I know you. That’s pretty much how it works.

4 Likes

Some achivements are difficult or take a lot of time to acquire. I don’t consider AoTC all that prestigious because heroic raiding is no longer the most difficult content in the game.

What are some examples that come to mind and do you consider them prestigious?

Insane in the Membrane because it still takes a lot of time and the guards have only become even harder to grind over the years.

I have a Realm First, but it doesn’t matter. :man_shrugging:t5:

I think most people may look at my achievements and think “Wow that’s a big nerd”

But I personally like to look through them sometimes to remember some of the stuff I did. Sometimes I will think “Oh yeah, I did that!”

3 Likes

Fair point. Whenever someone posts in /2 looking for others to do For the Horde, I immediately think about the stupidly epic experience I had with that in 2008ish. What a blast that was.

Sorry, just because something is “zero effort” to you, doesn’t mean it is for everyone. Glad you find everything so effortless though. What’s your secret? I’m finding it challenging to get timed 15+ runs done beyond SD and Halls.

1 Like

Achievement matters to me sometimes, I also don’t know why achievements are shown in our forum profiles but our M+/pvp scores and raid progression are not.

If I’m asking someone for help with a strategy, I want to know that they’ve excelled first. Woohoo mr. 146 ilvl archaeology and old raid farms has 20000 achievements and wants to tell me my strat/build sucks. So I have to check the profiles of people giving me advice to see if they know what they’re talking about.

2 Likes

I don’t put a lot of effort into achievements. I do like the personal challenges, but tend to stay away from anything that has a gear check or odd gearing in general, like mage tower.

This reminds me that I should do proving grounds on this toon, or at least on this account.

This is my alt account.

Anything that X% players wont have is inherently limited or prestige.

`Prestige used to be about hard things that only a select few could achiev. That first High Warlord on your server, the guy with the T3 shoulder pads.

Nowadays anyone can buy those “Prestiguous” achievements with a credit card.

The things I find prestigious in game are things you can’t buy, there aren’t many lefts but its usually old titles and reputation grinds. Maybe some mounts.

Nothing is prestigious anymore, we’re all tamed in front of the CE raiders. We only care about who cleared mythic raid first and then we don’t care about anything else.

1 Like

I guess you didn’t read the second part of the 0 effort line?