Why is Alter Time dispellable?

the only thing I hate about AT is how it doesn’t also reset buffs and debuffs like in mop

current AT feels a little… bland

Why is spell reflect dispellable? Also shouldnt it reset the cd of unending resolve?

1 Like

Because people hate sheep

Think for some reason mages especially have these kind of cross-class mechanical comparisons going on recently. I guess it’s fine but it’s ridiculously limiting in context (e.g. “why can’t I dispel astral then?” but not asking “why doesn’t shaman get to blink 2x while casting”).

When cross class comparisons are made, there are two general points I think always worth considering:
(1) Does the problem you’re talking about either (a) lead to your class being weak or (b) lead to your class relying on bad tuning because of a lack of other mechanical strengths and
(2) Does the problem reflect such a unique circumstance that’s so unfun/frustrating/dumbfounding in design that even if you have other offsetting strengths, it should be looked at.

A good example of point (1) would be this thread’s point on AT. AT being dispellable does NOT lead to mages being weak in the meta and absolutely does NOT lead to the feel of a mechanically weak class. Mage has dozens of other incredibly powerful tools that are relatively unique & mage is almost never a “bad” class as a whole. 2/3 of its specs are always relatively high tier every season.

Point (2) I think of Icy Veins, where Blizzard decided that having an offensive purgeable only for mages was so outstanding that even with other strengths, it just was stupid to have your major go always countered if the team had priest/sham as an example.

I don’t think this is like IV though. Other defensives are purgeable. Alter not being purgeable would just feel too outstandingly powerful and would remove some skillcap. It also fits with the whole slippery wizard glass cannon image mage is supposed to be based around.

5 Likes

Really find it funny that a mage of all things is telling shamans purge is unfair, yet shamans lost gust of wind because it was too “similar” to mage blink.

The class with spam CC, immunities, cheat death, roots, and caster mobility, on top of damage potential, is saying something is unfair? Cry me a river.

that isn’t how i would describe the ability that exactly duplicates the functions of wild charge and disengage

2 Likes

It was like goblin jump, or a forward disengage.

What was their issue with it, exactly? Muddled identity? Too strong?

Inception

Imgur

2 Likes

It’s almost like maybe he’s quoting the reason blizzard themselves gave when they removed the ability. What a wild thought.

1 Like

Thank you, onlinecutie

You’re welcome rain man.

The issue is that Arcane has 30 second Alter Time so that change would likely make us unkillable seeing as we get to Blink stuns every 11 secs too with it.

1 Like

Isn’t ICEBLOCK dispellable?

That’s easily fixed by making alter a 1 minute CD by replacing master of time with arcane version of blazing soul though.

Blink shield is really whats missing from arcane/frost, Glacial Insulation and Master of time don’t hold a candle to it.

Glacial insulation is super troll and I think arcane would feel 100000% better with blazing soul version defensively over master of time.

11 second blink, new shield every blink + tempest blink shield and additional 50% wall for 2 if you run prismatic cloak.

I run it on fire and am basically immortal when I do, you can even fry shadowpriests 1v1 with that setup and triune just sandbagging their GCDs if they try to purge spam. Arcane/Frost could pull off same with it if they had talent as well

2 Likes

Not exactly. Even if Arcane would have 30s CD undispellable Alter Time, it is still counterable as I wrote in earlier posts. The only thing an enemy needs to do is to get you low enough and stun / silence / interrupt you on Arcane to block manual Alter Time reset and he might kill you before it autoprocs or the CC / interrupt effect ends. Stun can be blinked / trinketed out of and silence can be trinketed out of, but you literally can’t do anything to remove interrupt effect if you get caught with interrupt on Arcane school and it is very easy as almost every damaging spell you try to cast as Arcane Mage is Arcane school cast time or channeled spell. You might try to use only instants while Alter Time is up, but that would mean that you would do little to no damage and just be a punching bag for the enemy(ies).

2 Likes

Mass dispellable

Keep it dispellable, but make Temporal Shield undispellable.

But more importantly for Alter Time, make it so the mage can alter back even when locked out of Arcane. These are buffs that would help Arcane Mages.

1 Like

Arcane needs buffs badly.

give mw mana drain

1 Like

unless its a shaman, they dispel two effects on 1 press, your buffs can’t hide against a shaman.

1 Like