Why is Alter Time dispellable?

Why sit on it long enough for it to be dispelled? o.O

1 Like

Because alter time, if undispellable, would become the best defensive in the entire game. On an already really strong class, might I add.

2 Likes

I think alter is fine the way it is. You can pop it and pillar/play LOS when needed.

Mage frustration with purge isn’t unwarranted though, I think purge itself is the mechanic that needs to be addressed. Its cost and cooldown.

Basically forces mage to play RMX if they don’t wanna deal with it.

Outside of RMX its a bit more difficult to cover your stuff better, which if I were to take a stab at it is usually the source of posts like this.

Someone plays a mage with shaky cross cc comps and/or vs stuff like 2 shamans, 2 priests on a team as well and just rage out.

Best advice? Play RMP and its not an issue ever again since as long as your covering a go it won’t be a factor. Defensively? if you need to alter a go hug and spam intellect and hope they lose the 50/50 if they come in LOS

edit: which also means spam intellect as your running away with alter as well :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I feel for you. Watching some of these negative replies that don’t make much sense, they obviously don’t play mage. But I personally applaud you for stating an issue you feel you are dealing with.

You have a fair point. But here is the thing. You can also heal to full in an ice block and remember your mirror images are also a wall. That gives you 3 walls. Yes ice block can be mass dispelled but if you upgrade your conduit for it enough you will heal soo much even before the MD lands on you :smiley:

A resto shammy can astral shift, but that’s their only real defensive and they can’t dispel your block. Yes, grounding totem is an annoying interaction but your rogue should be handling that for you and the totem will flop with almost no effort.

Funny, on my healer sometimes it can take 4 purges to get alter time. And when I’m on my mage with the shield legendary sometimes they get it on the 1st purge. It’s disheartening I know, but mages would have to be heavily redesigned to to fix these interactions.

My advice is don’t rely on alter time to win, make sure you have another out just in case it gets purged.

I can say that I personally feel that arcane mage in legion was a better design for PVP and had a great ability called displacement. It was 10x more fun to play around. I hope things get fixed with mages so we aren’t soo comp dependent in order to push.

2 Likes

None of those function like Alter time does though.

1 Like

Ya I mean even Ghost Wolf is dispelable lol.

1 Like

This and other people points might be true for Fire Mages, but not for Arcane.

If you run Triune Ward to protect Alter, you don’t run Infinity / Bombardment legendary and don’t deal much damage either.

Spamming Intellect is not a full solution - even with it every purge has around 20-50% chance to remove Alter still depending on how many other buffs you have. Also, if you spam Intellect you don’t do anything useful and don’t even refresh your Chrono Shift speed boost.

As a result, I think that giving Arcane Mages undispellable Alter Time could be warranted. The reason for that is also because the second way of countering it via interrupt / CC is much more effective against Arcane Mages, whose damaging abilities are both Arcane school and have cast / channel time.

2 Likes

Meta specs whining :frowning: big sadge

6 Likes

Already is dispellable. In two ways too. Maybe even three if you consider just blowing up the barrier in like 2 seconds.

Explain? By not hitting the monk? Lol.

what really grinds my gears is when they use alter to kite and just click it off when i stand on their image :imp:

1 Like

why shouldn’t it be? its not damage reduction, so i wouldn’t say that it is a defensive ability. I’d consider it more utility because its not always used to recover lost health.

It can be bopped/immuned and the DoT can be dispelled by any healer.

Why can’t I spell steal it?

Because you’re using the wrong spell.

yes I will gladly trade you for the wall. AT is too finicky.

Mage : “Time has been altered”

Shaman: *dispel”

Mage: “nevermind”

4 Likes

AT being dispelable isn’t what caused you to tank from 1770 to 1500 homie

fire shouldnt have ring of frost

7 Likes

why is bubble dispellable? Shouldnt it just be a defensive ability like most other classes have?

3 Likes