Why hate neutrality?

Absolutely 100% agree.
My wife and I werent together back then yet, but both of us played the original, first warcraft game way back when, go figure. lol.
Great way to set the game up in the beginning, but once youve worked together so many times, if you then cant figure out how to get along permanently, maybe its time to just call it quits and give the planet over to the cats and dogs, lol

3 Likes

Yeah it wasn’t just harsh, it’s just plain ol’ nasty.

Like I pointed out: this is a computer game. It hurts no one and nobody to say “I like the faction war!”

I think the faction war has run it’s course too, for different reasons (population number decline) but I’m not going to call someone a failure at life because they disagree with me.

13 Likes

Easy there, I didn’t call anyone a failure. I’m talking about a mind set.

That’s literally what “peaked in high school” means.

All your accomplishments/success in life happened while you were in high school. I think the term you’re looking for is “rose-tinted glasses.”

10 Likes

Great, we get an army of Anduins.

Time to put on my troll mog and sneak into Org. :confused:

I would argue that the previous developers werent competent enough either in this regard.

The faction war story was always bad.

7 Likes

I don’t hate it. All races should have been neutral a long time ago. Not a fan of segregating players by race of all things. Extremely oudated and questionable system.
That being said, I’m also not a fan of how Blizzard portays stuff like night elves and Worgen sharing their home etc. Very poorly written. Factions overall just really don’t work in this game, as has been shown again and again by the devs and the way they treat them.

4 Likes

If you really want to be honest, it is because people would rather play house and dress up barbie than World of Warcraft.

A hardcore raider pays the same $15 a month as someone playing dress up so I don’t see why that matters.

This game has a population decline because of some derpy decisions made by Blizzard.

3 Likes

The “faction war” is not coming back. When they brought it back in BFA there was a severe decline in the game, and the end of the war was practically a copy of the same scenario in MOP, only with Sylvanas running away. It’s just not interesting. I enjoyed working with people from the other faction in Dragonflight. It’s time for peace.

3 Likes

The faction war in WoW is the only thing that has a greater potential for nuance. I liked Dragonflight, the story it told, and the enemies we fought in it. Raszageth and the primalists were interesting. The Titan lore drops we got were cool. Fyraak wasn’t on my bingo card as the last boss, but he’s at least dramatic and entertaining. But did I ever doubt these guys were dead sooner or later? No.

I suppose you could say that WoW’s story has always just been the vehicle in which we ride to new, cool pieces of content. Maybe how the story ends isn’t as important as the piece in between, where we see character growth and smaller conflicts among the less important characters. Those are fair points and since this is all subjective anyways I won’t begrudge anyone for throwing their hands up and saying the faction war is just boring and played out.

But for me, it’s the only thing that really keeps me engaged. I want to feel like I’m fighting for something real out there. I’m not just plugging away to parse good or top some charts. I like PvP because it becomes less about gear after a certain point. You don’t feel like you’re just in a game. You’re in your own story. I can suspend my disbelief and feel like I’m contributing to my faction’s glory, or failing it and leading to our defeat, when I’m going toe to toe with people I might have just downed a world boss with. That dynamic is so interesting to me. It’s gritty, sad, and uncertain. It feels like there are real stakes, because you don’t know how things are going to go both on a personal level and on a narrative level.

I think the faction war and PvP fosters community, creates friendships and rivalries, and provides better content than the status quo M+ or raid scene. Some folks get tilted, but I’ve seen more negativity in a flagging raid group than I ever have in PvP. Anecdotal, but true.

Anyway, that’s all a long way of saying that neutrality isn’t bad and everyone has their own preference, but the game is more alive when the story is interesting and folks aren’t just logging in to raid. The faction war helps facilitate prolonged interest and brings people together better than eyeroll neutrality ever can.

2 Likes

He’s got some great 1-liners. “Keep dreaming little one. Your mother isn’t here to save you.” was savage beyond all hell. Same deal with the comment toward Alex and her kids.

2 Likes

Never had a problem with it until I land in the wrong city and they kill me. I just want to graze in the fields by the Stormwind embassy.

:disappointed_relieved:

2 Likes

The faction conflict is fine, the writers just sucked at writing a good narrative around it.

The irony here is, in real life, faction conflicts last hundred of years sometimes never ending.

Humans are very tribal beings, and I think the faction conflict within the game represented this quite well.

People say that the faction conflict is boring, but so is the, oh the world is trouble from some cosmic threat and we need to band together to defeat them.

The more the writers move away from the faction friction, the more boring the game has gotten to me.

3 Likes

…so does PVE?

It never once created any friendships or rivalries for me. It never once provided any content.

It did constantly provide storylines that didn’t make sense, or were just horribly one sided.

1 Like

Good ol Akston, trying to pass of their anecdotal experiences as some kind of norm for everyone.

2 Likes

…the person I was responding to was doing the same.

Why are they allowed to but I am not?

(am I supposed to say something about Good ol New Forum Alt here?)

1 Like

I think this forum has heard enough from you. Remember, this forum isn’t your personal blog.

Who cares what toon I post on?

2 Likes

I think I agree with you.

It seems like their idea of a faction conflict is to hit the Horde with a villain bat. Maybe if that wasn’t so one sided it could have worked.

4 Likes

I just find it ironic you want to pull out the “good ol” card while hiding.

And I find it funny you think people you disagree with should just disappear or something.

3 Likes