Why F R E S H is the way to go for BC

My argument with the op’s points are that it didnt fall in line with how TBC was when it was released. This is meant to be a museum piece, trying to bring the same experience to the players. Most likely they will allow people to either copy or transfer to the new TBC servers and they collapse a bunch of the classic vanilla servers together and keep the vanilla ones stagnant. For people leveling Shamans on alliance or Paladins for horde they had to level from level 1 as this was the norm for TBC. That allowed people to start new characters to level with their friends. Being 100% fresh isnt in the spirit of an “Expansion” as you are expanding on what you already have not a new game with different content.

Reasoning for fresh everyone at level 1 would be so the new classes for the factions dont have to level in quests so they can spam dungeons with mages and warriors that are now releveling. Plus when TBC was out alot of tanks still used Thunderfury (as well as some T3 set bonuses where used in tbc raid) and this was the normal when I first hit 70 on TBC release.

I really think it should be a blend of at least three of the ideas as in…

Designated tbc servers. Free transfers from van to tbc servers in which those who choose to remain in van don’t have to do anything. Those that do transfer will have a gold cap between 1k-2k max they can transfer with as a way to protect server economies, new players, and not have a unfair advantage at endgame. Needless to say when you transfer to TBC it is irreversible.

One free 58 char. This will run similar to how recent expansions have been done as a way to draw players into experiencing current content immediately who have returned. Requiring a person to grind through 1-57 who only has a couple of hours a night to play would be a bad move imo as in people are here to play tbc not spend weeks/months in van content. This also makes the decision easier for van players as they can dip their toes into the TBC pool before they decide to dive in by moving the rest of their chars over.

Subsequent chars. Apart from your transfer chars and your one free 58, you will need to level your alts 1-70 as this will keep the van zones relevant and allow players to experience the belf and Draenei starting zones.

Imo

Sadly its not as small of a group as you might think. I was a pserver junkie for years and once this started you could watch servers die on the launch of the new F R E S H server that was typically stock mangos with massive issues. It would thrive for 2-3 months and another server would do it and boom - dead servers again.

I agree with Drain though, F R E S H is a meme that needs to die.

1 Like

If it were larger, there would have been more than one at a time.

Highly doubt they are going to run multiple methods.
A blend was not even an option on what they wanted opinions on.

It was do you want chocolate, vanilla, strawberry or nothing

Guess you could say that is other opinion then

other was not an option.

None was

None of the above* which implies other* imo

depends on who gives you the survey

if i give you a survey, the option none of the above does not imply other options are available, it just implies you dont like the choices i offered, which is too bad because only what i offered is on the table.
It’s kind of a throw away response.

Mind you, i dont propose to know the mind of whom ever made the survey.

And I understand that perspective but I feel if they wanted to say no to tbc it would have been there as an option, none of the above* to me implies I don’t like any of these and would rather new options to be brought forward. This is all subjective mind you it’s just the way I interpreted what they asked :slightly_smiling_face:

Oh there was an option to say no i will not play TBC
that was in the 2nd part of the survey

Gotcha, yeah…totally playing tbc regardless lol

They are seeing what people respond too. It’s not about set options. If enough people want fresh servers, why couldn’t they allow a few to be fresh. It’s easier than transfers for them.

Well thing is, one can roll fresh on any server.
Say my guild wanted to roll fresh, we just do so.
Does not matter that you transferred over, we are all running around with our level 1’s, heck maybe you will buff us.

I would imagine, in the interest of maintaining continuity and community, that the server route to go, regardless of rollout choice, is to siamese the TBC realm to its classic realm so you have bigglesworth and bigglesworth-TBC.

Makes maintaining everyone easier, no wondering where to go etc.
And no looking for friends etc, if you go to TBC later.

Personally i’d do a method, which takes way too much developer time.
But i would use the phasing/layering mechanics.
Youd only see one realm, bigglesworth.
You opt in to TBC via some NPC, which flags you to be teleportable via the dark portal.
You go through, and it phases you into TBC.
If you come back through, it asks you if you are journeying to vanilla or tbc azeroth, if you pick vanilla it phases you back to classic and loads you as your level 60 as you are in the classic layers database.
And now you can go do something with friends that are maybe not doing TBC yet.

Same thing can be accomplished with visibly separate vanilla/tbc realms i realize, but that is more seamless, people can freely move between with no relogging, and you could possibly be able to talk between the layers to maintain contact and such.
Be real easy to zip back and help some friends run naxx or something, and then port back to tbc and resume punking out felreaver

That’s a pipe dream though, that is way too much development work to pull off correctly.
And of course there would be threads hating it because it doesnt allow bringing TBC items etc through the portal into vanilla.

EDIT
You would also need one of the NPC’s in each starting zone to offer to punt you to TBC layer starting zones, only available at level 1
to facilitate anyone who wants to roll fresh, but do so in the TBC layer

Do you really think the classic servers would be much fun to play on once 90% of the player base has moved on?

You need to consolidate all the ‘Classic only forever’ crowd into a few servers to have a healthy long-term server populations.

I dont think 90% of people would move on.
Even pro TBC people i know would actually still play both for various reasons, one of which is they have friends and guild mates that do not want to play TBC, or Wrath, and they do not wish to just abandon them.

I think a lot of people will play TBC, at least i hope they would.
I also think a lot of people that do not play classic at all might sub for TBC.

As for consolidating, it is called merging, and can be done on the fly when/if needed, with 0 disruption to those players communities

1 Like

Why didn’t they originally start you at level 1 and wipe the servers when BC was released?

But yeah, great idea bro… did you know you can start a level 1 character any time you want? I am assuming they wouldn’t take this option away in the burning crusade but char never know rite!

2 Likes

If I don’t get to bring my Thunderfury and Winterspring Mount, I don’t want to play it.

This! I’m a hardcore TBC fan. That’s when I first started playing WoW. I am 100% going to continue playing Classic after TBC Classic hits, while I enjoy getting stomped on by fel reavers in Hellfire Peninsula. 90% of players aren’t going to just move on. Classic has a huge fan base.

I hope Blizzard takes note that there are people who would absolutely play both.

F R E S H baby. Who’s hype from some F R E S H content?