Why even bother having Roads anymore in zones? Just make Airports

Don’t blame me for your lack of reading comprehension.

1 Like

It’s not really blame… more like pity :frowning:

Why pity me for your shortcomings?

I hope we do honestly. But for the majority sake, hope y’all get what you want.

The future is looking good. Dynamic flying will be available day 1 in TWW. I consider that a huge win.

They need to find a modern way of making it feel like a world again. Not just a zone with portals. Or a zereth mortis v. 4. I hope we all get what we want in the long run. After all we invest a crap ton of time into the game

To a degree. Anyone besides me remember the “death run” from Westfall thru Darkshore to the Rebel Camp in Stranglethorn Vale down to Booty Bay to catch the boat to Ratchet? Now a lvl 10 can hop on their mount and ride the whole distance unmolested. No sense of danger at all.

Or fighting your way into Moonbrook and then through the underground to get to the entrance to Deadmines? Now it’s a cake walk.

Did you feel like TBC was a “world”? How about Wrath?

I’d like to see as many players happy as they can be. It’s difficult, flying is one subject in this game that I will defend no matter what happens. I’ve been in flying threads for 10 years now and it’s finally starting to improve for me personally.

Definitely true.

I can see both sides of this. I miss the exploratory feeling. I even used my ground mount for a while exploring the dream. It was fun and interesting, but not sustainable. That rare or seed you’re chasing is going to be gone by the time you arrive. But we don’t really want to slow the entire game just to accommodate grounded explorers.

On the plus side, I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve used flight points this expac. World traversal is now fun and that’s a good thing. But we do lose something in the process.

Different strokes and all that, but I’ve never understood why it’s such a big deal.

For me, flying is just a thing in WoW. It doesn’t really make or break my experience. If they want flying, they’ll design zones around it. If not, they can do that too.

I used to do some similar things. But that was in the days before scaling. I really dislike scaling for that reason. I think that scaling has had much greater impact than flying.

1 Like

Agree with OP. The most pathetic argument I hear for flying is “jUsT dOn’T fLy If yOu DoN’t lIkE fLyInG”. If you didn’t play wow before flying was implemented then you probably won’t appreciate the idea of no flying. And that’s fine. You have every right to be wrong :wink:

2 Likes

Forcing it as a max level only function, when 10 levels per expansion are gained, simply forces everyone to trudge along those ‘roads’ until they hit max level, at which point they no longer care if they even exist.

You are concerned about immersion at the questing level, I assume, and here’s a news flash, if you don’t want to fly, don’t fly? Pretend those flying above and past you are some sort of futuristic NPCs that have a technology you haven’t acquired yet, and you are GTG.

Or is this simply about controlling everyone else? I assumed it was a “you” issue.

1 Like

It enhances the enjoyment I get out of this game. After playing in an era where we could fly right at max level to going to an era where I was forced to be on a ground mount for half the expansion made me hate the game for a while. It made me bitter.

Flying = freedom = good.

6 Likes

Regular flight was kinda boring. Ground mounting (outside dungeons) is tedious and annoying.

Dragonriding is perfection. :sparkling_heart:

As many others said here, go hang around classic and embrace the “true rpg” style if you must.

Or play Everquest. I wonder if they even have maps these days. /loc /loc /loc /loc /loc…

I can understand the desire for more grounded gameplay (heh) but dynamic flying opens the way for exploration of the z-axis (vertical) that lets them make some really fantastic locations. Flying around the Isles is a real joy.

Roads still exist because it’s still a setting. Just because we don’t sleep doesn’t mean there shouldn’t be houses.

1 Like

this… so much this… specially since I love my druids.

1 Like

These analogies are always so awful. It really shows how little thought any of you have put into this.

Essentially 100% of travel at max level in WoW is not exploration or adventuring. It is commuting. It always has been. It is getting to your objective and back. Commuting isn’t generally entertaining. I hated travel times in Vanilla. It was my biggest complaint about the game. Flying improved the game enormously.

WoW really isn’t in any way analogous to an art gallery, but if the exhibits were several miles apart I would like to get to each exhibit as fast as possible. And if I were visiting the gallery every day I would like to get to it and back home as fast as possible.

And if I don’t have any immediate objectives and want to just enjoy WoW’s scenery? That is always an option.

And I too find WoW far more immersive with flying than without. The least immersive thing in WoW is other players. Always has been and always will be. Just the nature of MMOs.

I don’t need to “pick up details” while commuting. I’m commuting not sight seeing. If I want to examine details I can choose to slow down.

And for the guy who said people who like flying aren’t real gamers good lord get over yourself. Utterly asinine.

4 Likes

I want zones to be bigger, ok? But. With dragon riding… they need to be bigger still.

I crave immersion. Looking at butterflies and squirrels. Seriously. I stop and look at lots of little things.

With dragon riding there is no immersion.

I encourage everyone to level War Within on the ground, where possible, to appreciate the incredible art. Just my opinion

If you think we were paying attention to environmental details in Vanilla while on the ground or in TBC pre-68 outside of the first time visiting a place, I’ve got news for you.

Additionally, your personal opinions and/or preferences are not locked in facts nor gospel truths. They are just that, YOUR personal preferences and opinions. There might be others who share those preferences, but there are just as many who do not. The sooner you understand and accept that, the better off you’ll be in general.

5 Likes