Why even bother having Roads anymore in zones? Just make Airports

Honestly , Flying completely ruins the feeling of an MMO and the feeling of a pilgrimage through an unknown land.

Say what you want , but I think the game would be much better if Flying was removed OR it goes back to the old pathfinder system.

Seriously whats the point of having roads in this game anymore? Just make airports throughout the zones with TSA agents. Its so stupid.

Hell just put teleporter pads to each quest objective at this point.

Like Do you people really want to zone into a portal to a NEW LAND and be able to fly to the other side of the continent in 20 seconds? What happened to exploration? Honestly This is “quality of life” gone way to far and really ruins the exploration.

Who cares right? Just fly to the random Dots on the map , kill x mobs, fly back up and do it again. Then log on for raid.

Ya great game Retail has become.

Update:

If Flying at Mach 10 is here to stay maybe some limitations should be in place and gameplay added surrounding dragonriding to make ground travel meaningful

EG.

• Using War Within as an example (only able to fly when the sky crystal is light, and make the sky deadly when the crystal is Dark)
  • The developers attempted something similar in BFA (serpants flying in the sky) but honestly it probably wasn’t as punishing as it needed to be.
  • Add Bat riders/ Void creatures or whatever, that will chase you on your mount when you’re flying. Add some form of gameplay to the process rather then just Fly to X dot on map and then fly back up. Its boring.
  • With added Dangers you can add abilities to the dragons to defend or attack these creatures
  • Obviously ground mounts wouldn’t have to experience any dangers.
39 Likes

Flying has been in the game since TBC. WoW is arguably the best/one of the best MMORPGS ever. Flying isn’t the issue WoW has for not feeling like an MMO.

33 Likes

Yep and it was always a mechanic that existed only at max level up until Wrath. THis game suffers from death by a thousand cuts and this is one of them.

6 Likes

Could just make the roads have enemy patrols or roadblocks. Would make it immersive while avoiding the path. :wrench::robot:

2 Likes

Then don’t fly. Problem solved.

Beings on the ground like Centaur, Keepers and Dryads don’t fly. They’re allowed to have paths and roads.

48 Likes

So, for a single expansion.

11 Likes

And there in lies the problem. The developer making a questing experience people find so boring they want to fly over the land and skip it. What a joke.

4 Likes

WoW has been dying since 2005, sure is taking its time.

Hard disagree but even if WoW ends and flying is listed as one of the reasons why it died being in the game since its first expansion and during its peak of popularity then it would be a paper cut compared to other issues that take away from classical ideas of what an MMORPG should be.

6 Likes

One of your weaker efforts.

12 Likes

Yeaaa I was expecting better.

Trolls are losing their touch it seems.

2 Likes

20 Likes

This isn’t the 90s and WoW was never like that to begin with.

If that were the case flight paths wouldn’t exist.

4 Likes

WoW was very much like that. At this point you must be trolling. Maybe you should Log onto classic.

3 Likes

I get where you are coming from, and there is a place for that kind of MMO. But that’s not retail WoW. That’s not even classic WotLK. It’s a completely different sort of game.

3 Likes

I get you also, I just feel the game was alot better earlier and the damage flying has done to this game really stands out when you have dragons that go 10000 miles/hr. It just makes exploration feel so pointless.

The Emerald Dream Portal should have felt really epic like walking into the TBC draenor portal, but nope, Just zone in, fly to your quest objective across the map, fly down, kill mobs, fly back up, turn in. Rinse repeat.

Also I should add, even though I dislike it, I can understand it being in this expansion because its the theme. But to think in the future you will have mounts going at the speed of light in every zone going forward really feels awful, It will make the zones feel smaller, you will miss out on the small details across the terrain, you wont feel like you’re on a journey… Its just bad.

5 Likes

No way to close Pandora’s box now. Flying should have never been a thing.

At least there’s WoW Classic.

4 Likes

my favourite implementation of flying was mop

2 Likes

You have the option to stick to ground mounts and walk to the objetives, annoying loser.

Why would you waste everyone’s time complaing about this

6 Likes

You know, it’s funny. I had never thought about this, but there is some semblance of a point in this post. That being said however, we have to remember the player character is part of a world, and not what the world revolves around. Roads and all of that should continue to be part of the world because even if we’re not the ones using them primarily, people throughout the world (NPC’s and such) who live more “ordinary lives” will continue using them.

4 Likes

For you. Not me, but for you. Just wanted to make that clear.

Traveling slower on foot does not improve the quality of the game for me and it never has. Maybe it felt a little more immersive up front, when the game was designed around the individual adventure and not chasing events and rare spawn windows, and when I was brand new. But once I got better forms of transportation I never wanted to look back.

I’m seeing plenty of other people in events all across the expansion, and I still had that sense of exploration each time a patch dropped.

If you want to mosey, mosey. I use my druid flight form a lot now instead of my dragon flying to drink in the environment and herb when I’m not in a rush to get something done. But I don’t expect everyone to match my pace for my personal entertainment. That’s silly.

11 Likes