Why does blizzard prioritize fixing fun stuff instead of bigger problems?

That is not an exploit lol

They let people twink and even encouraged it with 111 BoE ilvl 850+ gear dropping and 111 legendary crafted items in legion.

All expansion people were selling dungeons with twinked bear tanks.

It’s all a play to get more played time out of people.

There’s a false either/or dichotomy (fallacy) intrinsic in all these arguments.

If they fix Schmoopie or whatever that pet is called, it must mean that they’re NOT working on the thing that’s important to me. EITHER they work on Schmoopie OR they work on what “really matters.” That’s the narrative.

They say that to GRRM about the Game of Thrones books, for example. If the man goes out to eat dinner or attends a charity event, people lose their collective minds because he’s not at home, chained to his desk, writing their next installment.

It’s ridiculous. GRRM can do both. He can write a novel and attend charity functions and eat meals without one activity stealing time/energy that would have been spent on the other.

The idea that because Blizzard fixed Schmoopie, it must mean something is being stolen from the team that is fixing or working on or reviewing or developing that thing you value as more important…is false. They’re doing both. They’re working on both.

Schmoopie is easier to fix than class balance, PvP balance, mob scaling, or developing new content…hence, its faster response time.

Finding a hot fix for a potentially problematic behavior pattern that leads to exploitation and imbalance is easier/faster than fixing class balance, PvP balance, etc., etc…hence, its faster response time.

The presence of the Schmoopie fix and the hot fix attempt for the leveling “issue” have NOTHING to do with the timeframe of the other work getting done. They simply do not. Nor, for that matter, do the art resources that are used to make store mounts. Those are probably totally separate commissions done by totally separate teams or individuals and have ZERO effect on any of the larger work being done on gameplay.

It’s nonsensical and a waste of time and emotional energy to be so constantly exercised over this stuff.

2 Likes
  1. Every person is different. What is important to you is not the same as what is important to other players. The devs are considering all players, plus their own internal views, in deciding “what is important”.

2. It probably depends on who is available. It is a myth to think “every dev can work on every feature”. I had a 32-year career in software and I never saw that. Usually 1 to 5 devs become expert in one area. I worked on plenty of 200-dev teams, but they were all split up by areas of code, and 1 to 5 devs “really knew” each code block.

If necessary someone outside that group can make changes in that code, but it will take 3 times a long (in man-days) and is more likely to have bugs.

1. Honestly I have NO idea about Blizzard’s priorities. They make no sense to me either. I don’t even understand their game features (pathfinder).

It literally is an accomplishment. There’s an achievement and everything for it!

I get that it’s not an accomplishment at the same level of cutting edge, but it’s still an accomplishment even if you don’t want it to be because that knocks down your argument.

Lol “it’s an achievement so it’s an accomplishment”

Capping isn’t hard. It’s easy. Literally everyone does it. Cutting down time to cap through clever use of game mechanics doesn’t cheapen your capping because it’s already a worthless “accomplishment”

Seriously if you don’t understand what I mean you’re a bit dense.

I’m not misunderstanding you, rather you’re just refusing to acknowledge reality.

I didn’t say hitting 120 was hard. In fact, I specifically said as much in my previous post. Just because something is easy doesn’t mean it’s disqualified from being an accomplishment.

You continue to coat your argument with your personal opinions, refuse to acknowledge that, and instead now think I’m dense. Grats for having nothing left to say but a personal insult.

I think it’s because the “fun” stuff is easier to fix without breaking something else in the game. Whereas the “unfun” stuff is more complex in the coding of the game to fix without breaking other stuff. Also just want to throw in my 2 cents; This is not the intended way to play the game and I don’t understand people complaining about fixing it. You don’t complain when a different game is only played one way like most single player RPGs are. At least there are several ways to actually play this game.

They removed the portals from the Vale of Eternal Blossoms, because I guess people enjoying the aesthetic of old zones isn’t allowed.

Maybe they’ll be adding city portals to the updated portal rooms in Stormwind and Orgrimmar, in which case… Adios, mages. You’ve outlived your usefulness.

1 Like

You said it a lot better than I did. A lot faster too lol

So, to recap your argument: powerleveling is an exploit because it was not intentional. It’s bad because it made leveling faster. Removing it was good because it was unintentional. Blizzards anti-consumer practices are good for me.

1 Like

But powerleveling isn’t what we’re talking about. We’re talking about the abuse of a mechanic for a use not intended (that being powerleveling).

You either don’t understand what’s actually going on here or are just being deliberately obtuse to try to prop up an argument.

Where did it ever say when they gave people the option to stop xp on their toons they could not use that to help other players power level through content. If you can find where that was actually said then I will admit that it is an exploit if not then I will continue as will others that this was done to further their time played metric and that they would rather have people buy boosts then have a 110 twink help them power level.

1 Like

If you can’t understand why it is problematic to have incessant spam (at least on larger servers) of paid power-levelling services (a la gold seller spam), then I really don’t know what to say.

It’s an unintended mechanic. Twinking has always been an unintended mechanic that added a lot of gameplay to wow. It isn’t necessarily bad that it’s unintentional. It improves the game for some people, while not making the game experience worse for anyone else. Losing it is therefore a net loss of fun: the people utilizing it are going to have less fun and the people not will be having the same amount of fun.

As opposed to the lively and fun chat typically reserved for trade chat? /leave 2. It’ll improve your game immensely.

So people are using trade chat to sell leveling services for in game gold and that is a bad thing ?

That is the kind of stuff trade chat is for and not the usual trolling , political religious bating cesspool it has become over the years.

OMG we have to stop these heathens for using trade chat for what it was meant for , next thing you know they might want to sell people gear through it instead of using the AH . We can’t let them disrupt the Troll Chat Channel in game or how else will all the trolls camping out in SW or ORG be able to grief other players.

No, they are selling it for RL money, which I thought I made clear comparing them to gold sellers. I guess not though. To repeat: People are advertising power-levelling for cash. Based on what Blizzard said, this change is to curtail that.

But we’re not talking about whether twinking is good or bad…

Does real world trading happen around powerleveling? Probably.

Now you can’t pay with gold, you have to go to a third party website and pay someone to level your account manually. You haven’t solved your problem. You’ve eliminated the legitimate way to powerlevel, leaving only the definitely-against-tos way to skip leveling.

Because too many people think “fun” is whatever benefits them and not someone else. Or they think “fun” is bending or breaking the rules. Usually it’s a certain generation raised with no consequences for their actions.