Why does Blizzard hate Night Elves?

Just wondering why the WoW devs seem to hate this awesome race they created for Warcraft 3?

From the underdeveloped, underutilized characters, lack of meaningful story presence, lack of any sort of satisfying progression, loss of cultural quirks and flavour… the list goes on and on.

Iconic characters such as Malfurion (or Tyrande, but don’t want to bring her up and derail the thread with talk of her warranted or unwarranted vengeance) didn’t even make it to even the in-game cutscenes - in an expansion where he lost his very home. Or at the events in Nazjatar…?

What gives?

Why is this okay? Why is this acceptable to treat a portion of your paying customers - who are invested in their race, their characters and the story - this way?

And mostly, why is it happening? Which Night Elf slighted you to deserve such treatment?

24 Likes

They don’t.

9 Likes

Sweet! Pack up, everyone. Rorrand has weighed in. We’re done here.

7 Likes

No need to be a jerk about it. I just disagree. Everyone else is free to weigh in.

5 Likes

That’s a good question, I guess mostly because the writers are obsessed with Sylvanas and Nathanos and they needed some race to suffer because of it.

Imagine playing a race that has only lost things since vanilla and finally lost everything in BfA.

Night Elves will never get a victory.

16 Likes

It would help if you explained your reasoning.

1 Like

Blizz doesn’t know how to write. So we get crap development all around.

15 Likes

Probably to much interaction with the other races - Hoping that since Tyrande has not responded to Anduin that it means Night elves are more going back to their roots - a more savage race that doesn’t really interact outside of player characters but responds with deadly force to intruders.

6 Likes

Cuz 90% of devs play blood elves, so by nature they hate night elves.

9 Likes

Judging by your response to a single post I don’t really feel like you made this thread to have an honest discussion.

7 Likes

A few plot points that you disagree with don’t mean there’s some vendetta against a particular part of the playerbase.

2 Likes

Because it’s much more important that we tell the story of a Sad Orc and how the Horde is super serially honorable (despite torching a tree full of innocents) right now.

6 Likes

My response was very appropriate to what you decided to contribute.

Good day!

6 Likes

illidan happned last expac

1 Like

Night Elves have only lost since Vanilla, not a single victory.

In BfA, Blizz finally finished the race off, there is no recovery from that blow.

3 Likes

Unpopular opinion but I think people just notice it more because it’s the night elves, if it were gnomes, draenei, dwarves, or humans etc. I rarely hear anyone complain, and some of those said races are treated even more horribly in the story in my opinion, and that’s just for the Alliance.

Some of these examples include;

Gnomes lost their home at the start of the Game, they are constantly ridiculed (just look at what happened to the gnome during the Alliance war campaign) , Mekkatork dead or incapacitated after getting less than half a minute of fame.

Draenei most of their history involves them being tortured killed etc. Look at BC there is a road made of bones of the dead Draenei, and look at wod where at the start you are made to watch as Draenei are repeatedly thrown into a boiling cauldron. To put it nicely, Draenei have also been used by the old horde as a resource for unsavoury means there is no Greater shame than that.

Aside from Cata where everyone got hit , BFA is probably the only time where the Night Elves from darnasus actually received a significant blow lorewise, and they didn’t even lose any major characters aside from delaryn who we never saw in-game or was never that important till bfa.

Quoting an Older Post I made.
TL:DR Other races have suffered worse fates than the night elves.

5 Likes

I was trying not to take it personally. Until several massive lore events happened, few of which very directly concern night elves - historically (Azshara, Nazjatar), geographically (events at Org), and just in significance (Siege of Org - you really telling me they don’t wanna be there to fight with those that destroyed their home?). Then it got into the realm of terrible storytelling and someone having a vendetta against the NEs.

3 Likes

Now now, you had your revenge when you killed a single Val’kyr and made Nathanos shout “enough.”

We’re all friends now. Anduin and Blizzard said so.

8 Likes

Oh yes, because Illidan has been an entrenched member of his culture and not a dissident who essentially abandoned his heritage in order to forge his own faction.

/s

5 Likes

Night elves just got the short end of the stick. Maybe in the future they’ll have some sort of redemption.

2 Likes