Why do you like/play Survival Hunter?

Considering I literally can’t play MoP-era Arms or Glad Stance anymore, it’s not that hard to imagine. Still not going to go into every thread, be bitter about it, demand to be catered to at all costs, and call everyone who disagrees with me an idiot. What purpose does it serve?

1 Like

I’ve played the game long enough to know that helpful meaningful discussion doesn’t get through to Blizzard, especially new Blizzard. Anyone whose played long enough should know that by now. They don’t care about what is well reasoned. They just care about what is loud and what costs them money.

The well reasoned arguments have been posted for years and continue to be posted, without anything resembling a valid rebuttal made in response to them. The well reasoned arguments were posted during Legion alpha and beta, back when this entire mistake could have been avoided, yet they were ignored back then too. So what are we supposed to do if we want our voices to be heard after years of numerous valid reasoned arguments being completely ignored?

8 Likes

so i take it you have nothing meaningful to say got it

4 Likes

If I could tell you what makes Blizz finally listen to players, then I wouldn’t have been the first to know it, that’s for sure.

Ultimately, it’s Blizz’s decision. Something as complicated as changing a spec wholesale or adding a 4th spec is something that has to be started by them long before even an alpha drops. All you can hope for is that the pressure of “we want Ranged Surv” is enough to make them change and do another big overall on the Hunter class or Surv spec.

Otherwise, folks not trying to turn every Hunter thread into a poo-flinging fight over Ranged vs. Melee Surv is probably a good start at least.

1 Like

Which is what blizzard already did when they deleted SV. They should have foreseen this. Anyone with two brain cells to rub together would know that this would end badly. At this point I am left to conclude that WoW is merely whatever aligns with blizzard’s ‘vision’ and player feedback has zero value to them.

9 Likes

thousands of “they took my toy away, I want it back” don’t count as valid arguments

Took you long enough…

1 Like

SV popularity dropped like a rock when it was changed to melee. The Hunter class lost a ton of players, way more than any other class, going into Legion when SV was made to melee. Blizzard has never in the past deleted an entire spec from the game, and in fact has prioritized keeping specs in the game at the cost of adding in a fourth spec, as is the case with feral/guardian.

The Hunter class has always been a ranged class, and a melee spec contradicts the class and its fantasy. There are already too few ranged weapon users, which is a problem due to weapon drops and raid viability (either ranged weapon hunters are too favored due to certain raid mechanics that particularly favor mobile ranged (such as the belts on Blackfuse), or they aren’t necessary due to too few or even no raid mechanics that favor mobile ranged). There still aren’t enough fantasy ranged weapon using archetype specs in the game; MM is the sniper and BM is a beast master (which isn’t even necessarily a ranged archetype), and ranged SV filled yet another archetype that is more akin to a ‘hunter’ hunter, survivalist, trapper, demolitionist, even bounty hunter, while melee SV fulfills none of these and is closer to yet another beast master archetype than it is anything else.

Referring back to feral/guardian, Blizzard has already shown that they will make fourth specs when it feels like there should be two specs instead of one. We have exactly that situation, where Blizzard is trying to make melee SV more ‘ranged’. It would make much more sense just to make another spec that is specifically ranged SV while keeping melee SV as exclusively melee.

But naw those are all just “they took my toy away, I want it back”, right?

13 Likes
  1. I like to play survival because of the use of a pole-arm, pet, and somewhat spammy rotation.
  2. I like bleeds, I originally liked class fantasy of traps, then I liked harpooning to targets.
  3. Fantasy would be somewhat of a stealthy character who puts poisons, traps, and salves out to self buff and debuff enemies and do damage over time with cd based burst windows that hit for big numbers when maximized.

Opinion on what could help this would be: improve the duration of poisons on targets, improve the length of crit window and make certain abilities baseline (mongoose bite), and give the class more interesting interactions with bombs.

The idea with bombs was good from the start with the talents but the duration of time for it to be useful is kind of negligible in m+ content unless mobs live quite a while. I think there is room for the ideas to work but they need revamped talents and chakrams is pretty much doa unless its pvp viable. Possibly just my experience but our current aoe is miles below the other specs which would be nice if our ST was the highest to compensate. Hope this helps a little bit I didn’t want to just reiterate points others have made.

1 Like

I’ve never really be a “hunter’s hunter”, but I’ve dinked around with them over the years. I really wanted to like them because collecting pets is really enjoyable.

The pew-pew bow or rifle thing has never really click with me, so my hunter was maxed for the expansion and then parked for the duration,

During Legion, I was really excited to hear about this new melee hunter. It amused me greatly because back in the day, the munter was a sort of meme (like all loot is hunter loot) before memes were a thing. But I was interested in the concept.

That being said, I really hated the spear mechanic. And the stupid monk like stabby-stab animation annoyed me. That is history. But now that we are at the end of the expansion, I’ve given my hunter a proper go. And, I gotta say, I like it. The bomb chucking, the hand crossbow, it’s really cool. Almost like a vampire hunter or something.

I like is so much that SV is a STRONG contender as my alt come Shadowlands. I know that OG hunters want the old SV back, but me, I hope they don’t do that.

6 Likes

1- Tons of utility, traps, move, pet, tracking, small stealth.
2- Feels different from other generic melee (played a warrior for a long time)
3- SV hunter fit the fantasy of the “First hunter”. Not focusing on today’s hunter in life, aka sit and one shot to take down your prey. All on the base level, weaken the enemy at range, lay traps, come in close to finish it.

2 Likes

Ah yes because Mozart’ing dots was really fun.

The spec was designed to be melee for in alpha and beta, hell hunters could use shields too, hunters getting AP from dex only like rogues. They couldn’t balance it and didnt want to it was easier to just push all the stuff into ranged ap and give us bows. Polls come out all the time and melee rangers is far more a popular build in DnD than people think.

1 Like

And was quickly scrapped. SV had been ranged from the beginning of Vanilla to the end of WoD. It had some early talents that affected its melee attacks, but these were not for being a melee DPS. They were for when the Hunter was unfortunate enough to be caught in melee range, so that they could do more damage while working towards backing off so they could use their ranged weapon again.

Do you have a link to any of these polls? What the heck even is a ‘melee ranger’?

10 Likes

Maybe he’s talking about actual Polish people coming out and saying it. It would make more sense than what he meant, to be honest.

9 Likes

Follow my topic: All hunters should be equally good in AOE, and here is my Proposal Blizzard Staff for Survival Hunter - #5 by Mightyvun-ragnaros

Im discussing a possible change for AOE as a Survival

1. I don’t in BFA but I did in Legion. It was very mobile, cc master. Mongoose Fury window was unique and Butchery felt awesome.

2. Currently, BFA ruined SV for me and Harpoon and Flanking Strike leaping around is all that reminds me of Legion.

3. This is what I want https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/g9utgf/survival_hunter_reforged/?

1. I’ve played SV since Vanilla and never felt like I wanted to change specs. In Vanilla, SV had the most melee utility and I felt like this meant I was a threat at any range.
  2. I think I’m more tied to my character than I am to the mechanics of the class. If I had to pick, I’d say it was the mobility.
  3. I never wanted to be over-focused on either my pet or my weapon; SV was the “generic” hunter, which was closest to what I wanted. I don’t at all mind that the spec has become melee (as I mentioned, SV had the strongest melee utility from the start) but I would like to see more melee buttons on my bar.

yup im with you. if you look at my account you will see a big gap in inactivity from legion up until now. once they made the announcement of sv going melee thats when my thoughts about them and the game started to change. once legion was released i quit raiding with my guild and we were a top 300 u.s. and then i slowly backed away from the game and eventually quit for almost 3 years.

i only returned now with the hopes that "garbage no focus builder close your eyes and spam while pet does all the interactive fun of doing your damage " bm can F off and die and mm can at least be the “best” hunter spec for shadowlands with also the hopes sv goes back to ranged.

7 Likes

I’ll save you the time… Blizz has already said they are not making big changes to classes and specs. Good luck if you think adding a 4th spec or changing SV back to ranged isn’t a big change.

1. MM casting turns me off. BM I’m okay with but I prefer playing melee. Also, hunter was my main when I started playing the game in MoP. I have tons of memories with this character.
  2. Mongoose Bite spam is fun. Same as how spamming 5 Stormstrikes consecutively is fun for me.
  3. Big Tauren and his pet bestfriend smashing people (without the emo parts of being a DK).

I played Legion and SV Hunter was better there. The removal of Flanking Strike, Mok’Nathal, Fury of the Eagle and, correct me if I’m wrong, but we had 2 charges of wildfire bomb and can still have the Butchery ability. The changes made the class easier while making it feel like crap.

I enjoy juggling Mok’Nathal stacks with Mongoose stacks. Flanking Strike was a hard hitting button when there is no Mongoose stack. Fury of the Eagle was very good for AoE giving you a chance to recover focus for the next Butchery and bomb combo. I won’t lie tho, the spec was punishing. Incorrect ability use coud lead to losing Moknathal’s 12% attack power buff (at 4 stacks) and you had to reapply it again. Missing to use Fury of the Eagle just before your Mongoose Fury stack runs off means waiting for another Mongoose Fury phase in another > 15 seconds. But the weaving of ability was very satisfying to play, BfA SV leaves alot to be desired.

The only thing I did not like with SV Legion was the DPS. I was parsing at around 95 percentile for SV Hunters and was still playing catchup with my raidteam who were mostly in < 80 percentile for their specs. I felt cheated.

Shadowlands doesn’t seem to be better but we do get Kill Command back.

Man you’re just chomping at the bit to whine at people who give feedback, aren’t you?

6 Likes