Why do you allow griefing?

would that work tho???im not a warmode expert.

" A griefer or bad faith player is a player in a multiplayer video game who deliberately irritates and harasses other players within the game (trolling), using aspects of the game in unintended ways. A griefer derives pleasure primarily or exclusively from the act of annoying other users, and as such is a particular nuisance in online gaming communities, since griefers often cannot be deterred by penalties related to in-game goals.

Killing the NPCs that lower level players require to turn in their quests and advance their gameplay, is a form of griefing, in the context that it is purely to annoy other players, and serves no purpose to the griefer other than the enjoyment they derive from annoying other players.

40man raid on a city has a purpose, because there is an achievement for killing the factional leader there. There are achievements for killing other player characters in volume, which you can achieve inside the city.

However, if a 40man raid went to a capital city, killed only quest turn in NPCs, left lower level players without the means to play the game – because they cannot get around the dead quest NPC – and a GM was contacted, those players in the 40man raid would likely have action taken against them for griefing the low level player characters.

31 Likes

It is a different phase, but it’s not a solution. Not with all of the crap someone would have to go through just to do that.

If someone is at an outpost in Feralas and they’re Alliance, they’d have to travel all the way back to Stormwind, travel back to Feralas, get to their quest turn ins without dying, and someone different could be camping that place. I’ve seen that happen before.

As I said, the easy solution is make quest NPCs neutral not targetable. Not all NPCs, just the quest ones.

14 Likes

they arnt doing that tho they are killing npc mobs not targeting players at all just killing mobs.

2 Likes

would it work tho?would turning on warmode phase you to where the quest gvers are alive?

Dude, if you’re about to turn in a quest, and I walk up and kill the NPC who gave you that quest, which means you must now wait until the NPC spawns again, if I don’t kill it again – you wouldn’t consider that irritating or harassing?

23 Likes

You aren’t being clever by faking quotes that I didn’t say.

13 Likes

Aha, they have to flag themselves then? The enemy isn’t just made hostile to you.

Still griefing then.

2 Likes

no i would say the person is an A you know what but i dont see it as griefing another players personally.

they arnt targeting the player in any way.

You’re thinking purely of griefing in PVP. Griefing in PVE is exactly what the OP is talking about. Griefing does exist outside PVP – and it’s exactly what I just described.

Seriously, Kelgar, i think you’re griefing me on the forums now with these responses.

28 Likes

There’s no guarantee, no. Yes, it’s a different phase. But those quest givers could be camped and dead there, too.

Like I said, I’ve seen that happen. Some guild on one of my other servers was camping the same spot in Wetlands in both Warmode and Normal, one group in Warmode, one group in Normal.

It’s a weird pasttime, to be sure. But it’s not that uncommon when PvP guilds get bored. People got a kick out of that when Warmode was first introduced.

2 Likes

People have been doing it for a long time - I recall levelling my first toon in 2009 and being frustrated by a bunch of Alliance players smashing the npcs in Crossroads.

At the time I called out to my guildies and asked them to let people know in Org, and a bunch of players turned up and a big fight ensued, which was fun to watch. Sadly its not easy to organise that now due to phasing.

It is annoying but unless you have warmode on, OP, you just have to adjust your playstyle accordingly. You may not want to but if you can’t quest there at that time, you will need to. You may consider it griefing but clearly Blizzard doesn’t or they would have changed it by now.

6 Likes

Yes they are. They are targeting low level players who are trying to quest by making it impossible for them to pick up and turn in quests.

15 Likes

the players arnt targeted so to me its not but to each their own.

The person attacking the NPC IS vulnerable to anyone who decides to attack them so… No.

9 Likes

The players are targeted, even if indirectly. Since the Alliance can’t kill the players since they aren’t flagged, they keep them from questing. So the end result of them killing the quest npcs has a direct negative effect on the players.

18 Likes

from your own post there is nothing wrong with what they are doing it doesnt violate tos.

2 Likes

Okay. Let’s put it another way. You’re heading to your car on the street. When you’re 20 ft away, I slash your car’s tires. Now you can no longer drive wherever you were going.

I didn’t slash YOU, but you are still affected by me slashing your car tires. I have griefed you, by taking action that impedes whatever you were about to do.

14 Likes

its in the post you made it doesnt violate tos.

1 Like

They get it. They just like to troll.

13 Likes