Why do so many people dislike skyriding / dragonriding?

I’m glad it’s at least managable. Mine fluctuates between unbearable to managable depending on the day. The last surgery I had on my foot and ankle just made the pain worse for me sadly.

2 Likes

I just want the fast flying speed, the vigor and other stuff I just don’t need.

Was fun the first few days I played DF, running out of vigor but realizing I could just land on the side of a huge mountain next to me, then sliding down the side of it into the ocean. :tropical_fish: :fish:

1 Like

Currently (with Dragonriding) it’s probably due to the lack of mount variety.
Other than that, it can be annoying if you just want to fly a short distance or straight up. Also, they can be annoyingly noisy if they’re standing a fraction in the wrong place!

2 Likes

That must suck, especially when surgery that is meant to fix you leads to more long-term pain.

I like and use both
Sometimes it’s nice to hover.
I prefer flight form when I’m questing picking herbs and dynamic flight for distance
I have some issues with my hand and dynamic flight requires my hand movements
It’s nice sometimes to point and auto fly to rest my hand.

2 Likes

The surgery only had a 50/50 shot of fixing the issue. It did not work. So now I have very limited mobility with my left leg, and chronic pain. They offered to try the surgery again, but at this point there’s no real point to it.

2 Likes

I have all of the glyphs unlocked, I understand how the Vigor system works, and I even have the [Now THIS is Dragon Racing!] achievement. But I still find Dragonriding tedious and irritating much of the time. Certainly not “the best thing added to WoW in forever” like some say.

The camera zoom effect when surging forward is annoying. I had to check the motion sickness option to get rid of that. I can’t hover to take scenic screenshots or quickly go afk when my 5 yr old needs something.

It is stupid that using the flick-trick is the fastest way to get anywhere. I rarely use the term “immersion breaking” but flying like I’m having a seizure to game the system and go faster is definitely that. Blizz should definitely find a way to remove that, even it it makes races harder.

As some here have said, I don’t need a mini-game to get from A to B. I’ll have to see how the faster regular flight feels in TWW before I decide if I’ll keep Skyriding turned off. I’d like to have regular vs Skyriding on a per-mount basis, but Blizz thinks there is something necessary about having friction there. :roll_eyes:

15 Likes

Its not that i hate it, its that its not the one tool fits all that people make it out to be.

Old school flying is much better in some situations vs sky riding.

Having that choice taken and being forced to use an inferior tool when they have better available at the ‘flick of a switch’ is what grinds my gears about it. Its not a technological limitation, just an ideology driven decision.

14 Likes

Much like that reading issue you appear to have. I already addressed this in my post, so inane prattle is inane.

4 Likes

It’s a tedious and unfun minigame management system, that’s all. It’s not innovative, unique, or creative either. They literally ripped it out from another MMO. WoW players are just so used to getting nothing that even the blandest and minor thing can seem “special”.

Edit: The bad news for everyone is that they made the camera for ‘skyriding’ even more wonky. I am unsure if it’s an accessibility/motion sickness setting but it’s noticeably different than DFs version. Good luck y’all.

14 Likes

The same reason many hate anything in this game: because they suck at it.

That’s the entire history of World of Warcraft…

1 Like

Well for me, I get motion sickness fairly easily. Also I’m not the most coordinated person around…

It’s super fast, I have trouble controlling it, I puke a lot and I crash into mountains, trees, buildings…

It’s to the point I usually ride but… That takes up 1/4 of my playtime sometimes, depending… So Drac. flight is a bit easier, but not much I still crash a LOT. lol

With all the crashing, I end up wasting flight buttons or whatever they are called, so have to wait until they all fill up again before I can give it another try.

Just let me fly dang it. lol I’m really tired of puking and having to have a basin beside me when I play the game… Or, take forever to get from point A to point B.

That’s my reason. I totally love flying, but not this stuff. :nauseated_face: - :face_vomiting:

This is just not how I want to lose weight… sigh :weary:

:sunflower:

5 Likes

I still think it is a very vocal minority that dislike the new flying. I would love for Blizzard to introduce a poll system upon login to ask one question each week to gather data on what people enjoy. First one “Do you enjoy Dragon/Sky riding?” Then we could actually find out who does and who doesn’t. Asking on forums or social media outlets or wowhead you won’t get even 5% of the playerbase so not very good statistics.

I love the new flying myself, it flows very well. I also think both methods should be available day one with absolutely no extra required achievement, quest, task, to do list, etc. To each their own.

In my case it’s a bit of difficulty doing anything precise but mainly it’s because it makes me nauseous

3 Likes

I am glad to hear that. I thought I was the only one.

Not a thing. Vocal minority.

skyriding is better for long distances and normal flying is better for close distance questing

3 Likes

I need to pay attention
Bonus: when I need to rush to a place, there is always a little branch stopping me with zero vigor began I used it all dash some more.

3 Likes

I love dragonriding! I’ll actually just spend a good chunk of time just flapping about aimlessly for fun. I was so happy when they let Dracthyr properly fly without a mount.

1 Like

I love it. The issue is when you’re trying to go short distances or fly up onto a ledge and then you run out of vigor in those moments where then you’re just stuck there on the ground waiting, or you’re forced to use the recharge spell.

I think if you touch the ground on your dragon mount, the vigor recharge needs to be much faster than it is now, and also, it shouldn’t cost 1 vigor to “take off” from the ground so you’re already down one when you begin flight, it’s annoying.

1 Like