Why do so many people dislike skyriding / dragonriding?

Dragonriding/skyriding has been viewed largely as a successful addition to the game. Nobody at Microsoft cares that a microscopic number of players have chosen to not play the game anymore if its inclusion engages the broader playerbase and potentially pulls new players in.

2 Likes

Or precise handling for that matter.

Or lacking spamming 1. Seriously, spaming 1 (it doesn’t matter if you time it just right, it launches you anyways) it’s just getting old at this point. It’s like the tapping sprint crud from GTA.

7 Likes

Honestly, if the people who don’t want to continue playing act like you are in this thread, I’m fine with them taking an obviously needed break. Doing an eight hour campaign and exploring the world is in no way shape or form something horrendous and it is the best the static flight squad has had it in over a decade.

I’ve explained this in multiple threads at this point. Throughout the history of this game, in most cases, you had to get to max level and do something to get flight, whether it be a price or something like that. Wrath with hitting level 77, and Cata, are the only two exceptions to this. For a decade since WoD, you have had to do pathfinder. For the first time in ten years, all you have to do is get max level, and do a quick achievement of running around after completing the leveling campaign, and you are done.

This is literally a gift.

5 Likes

So why is that a reason to cut those who do not like it or can’t use it out of the game? To force its use until pathfinding? To force its use in dungeons and raids?

Many like it so the rest just have to accept? Don’t think so.

8 Likes

I said 10% of the people posting here. Not of the game’s total population. The number of people with a disability that specifically inhibits the ability to use skyriding effectively is likely dramatically lower.

I have taken a break and will not be back to retail until pathfinding dies. I will not walk through future leveling and campaigns for reasons. Any reasons.

6 Likes

So that makes it ok then? How many people being hurt makes things become unacceptable?

6 Likes

Which they will have to do anyways, because that what unlocks world quests.

2 Likes

“I don’t hate it, I just can’t use it, due to some disabilities I have.”

9 Likes

Because they can walk on the ground until they unlock flying, since it doesn’t take that long. The main campaign for TWW is a lot shorter and all of the zones are accessible on foot. They also don’t feel as large as the dragon isles so there’s less to traverse.

A lot of people do that anyway out of preference.

You haven’t taken a break. You’re still here, whining about it.

I don’t understand why people, even those with disabilities, act like a game implementing new mechanics and systems that are more engaging to play around with is some irreconcilable nightmare scenario that Blizzard has forced them to endure.

Obviously, what is fun to the individual is subjective to that individual’s tastes, but I refuse to believe that anyone views the old form of flying as objectively more fun than skyriding. It’s just easier and more passive. Games are meant to be fun, so what exactly are we doing if we are actively denouncing the addition of things that make the game more fun to play?

1 Like

Not all of us do that. In fact a good many of us with disabilities do not want to be used as an excuse for this crusade.

4 Likes

It isn’t really flying, and there’s a “minigame” attached to it

On the other hand with traditional flying you just summon your mount and go - and 0 work or “buttons” needed to maintain the flight, it’s all automatic

If you stop playing the “minigame” with dragonriding, your mount will end up on the ground. Because traditional flying is 100% automatic you can safely afk or hover-in-place whenever you want, it’s chill and lets you get up to use the bathroom, answer the door, take a call, etc

14 Likes

Oh, I know that, but that still doesn’t stop people from doing it anyways.

I’ve already stated this prior, but skyriding isn’t anymore physically demanding than anything else in this game. I’ve done normal dungeons that are harder than controlling skyriding. It’s pretty low effort, especially when its been maxed out and you have your full utility available.

So unless you just suffer every second of every day playing WoW, I don’t know what it possibly is about skyriding that makes it demonstrably harder on you.

More to the point, but even if we are to assume that skyriding is a problem, I don’t think the answer should be “okay well disabled people get the inferior flying then,” because that sounds reductive in its own right.

Rather, I think the solution is a more robust accessibility system that gives players the tool to tailor skyriding to how they want to play.

2 Likes

There is plenty of us to make up for that “loss”

Honestly Blizzard is probably working on something like that. They’ve said before they are trying to improve the accessibility of it.

For me I usually just have to take small breaks in between bursts of content to let my hands stop hurting and the shaking calm down. It’s why I don’t do a lot of higher end content. I just don’t have the physical ability to react properly. It’s partly why I am so excited for Delves.

3 Likes

they’re lazy. I’ve heard the motion sickness excuse, but considering you can turn all the effects off, they’re just lazy.

I find the skyriding very disorientating which brings on feelings of nausea.

I also have lost fine finger motor control, due to a workplace accident, which makes it near impossible to do.

6 Likes

Ooof. I hope that the accident didn’t leave you with too much pain to deal with. Chronic pain is something I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy.

2 Likes

The pain sucks but it is manageable,