Why do so many people dislike skyriding / dragonriding?

Well everyone who played DF knows how to Fly up from the fishing hole in Waking Shores up to Valdrakken with no issues, even before they added the Second Wind.

In TWW there are 2 places that would be a bit challenging, that is to Fly back from Azj-Kahet to Hallowfall, which has a very steep ascent, and from The Ringing Deeps to Dornogal.

But guess what, Blizzard added an air flow that you can just enter and you’ll be flown up top like you were riding an air current. It is quite good actually and feels rewarding. So, that problem is literally solved (even though I was able to get up without using it both times).

Also for the PPL that are thinking of going AFK while flying in Azj-Kahet in their TBC Flying: it will be hilarious seeing you being shot down all the time by the NPCs.

For that, make sure you use Skyward Ascent…NEVER surge forward for climbing…its a battery killer.

When youre out of vigor, nose down a bit until your charging in air…once you get a vigor or three, nose straight up and skyward ascent…heres some videos that might help…

nose straight up…skyward ascent…level off and nose down till charging.
Keep repeating till you get to the altitude you need

2 Likes

do yourself a favor and ignore that one. hes not here to help, hes here on his high horse to demean and insult and hes not worthy of your time and energy.

2 Likes

People don’t hate it, they just want the option for both. Others want there to be no option because they like that other people aren’t happy. They hate THOSE people, not the flying.

5 Likes

Yeppers.

There is no skill involved with poor design.

:surfing_woman: :surfing_man:

2 Likes

Because most people while farming/questing etc on alts or whatever… They Multi-task while moving from point A to B. with skyriding you have to be focused and pressing buttons… or you will fall and slow down to Earth… while in Steady flying you can just Auto-run(fly) and reach your point without focusing on anything.

There is nothing hard about it, like the others have been saying here… it’s not good while farming herbs/leveling/questing etc. so many reasons.

4 Likes

its hilarious how that other side trolling in here screeches that skyriding is easy and takes no skill…then the next one rolls in here when someone is having trouble with it and says “its a skill issue” lmao.

either skill IS required…or its not…and with that group of trolls evidently whether skill is needed or not depends on their mood for the day, lol

4 Likes

Even assuming there was a skill issue, what the trolls don’t comprehend is that scenario would be more of a reason to not restrict standard flying.

If there is a significant skill gap > people will eventually get frustrated and stop playing. A smaller player base degrades the in-game experience for everyone, both in the short term (player population) and long term (financially). If you make a game that a material number of people can’t play, then they’ll stop paying for it.

That’s why we have dungeon and raid finders to begin with. It was designed to provide broader access to end game content among the sea of group demands for 5k gear score’s and achievement links.

The danger is, if they were to actually remove standard flying, there could be hard consequences. With potentially far less people farming materials, the in game economy can go off the rails or collapse as the few people doing it will absolutely try to price gouge. The more tedious the game becomes for casuals, they more they will quit. They subsidize content production. So the slow WoW death cycle repeats itself …all because of a 12 year old named Trevor who’s dad left when he was 4 wants to make some other people as unhappy as he is.

3 Likes

True can not have it both ways.

Can’t claim it is meta and at the same time as easy as pie.

:surfing_man: :surfing_woman:

1 Like

they remind me of the “You get Pathfinder by just playing the game” sorts who came SCREAMING in here when bliz removed WoD and Legion requirements for flight…“You negated all my hard work!!!” lmao.

So it was “just playing the game” till bliz gave it flight for free…THEN it became “all my hard work”

lol.

just cant take them seriously in here

1 Like

I understand. :slight_smile: <3

1 Like

Well, the player base tends to cycle over the years, people who can’t adapt end up moving to something else.

That is how life it is. Nothing lasts forever.

The skill required to use Skyriding is so low that it is very questionable someone not being able to use it even with all the accessibility features added.

Which makes them immediately more noticeable and gets them banned that much quicker.

I hope you know what you just described is the incorrect way to gain altitude and at the same time maintain vigor charge. There are so many Videos out on WoW guilds on different content creators about how to do it correctly so one never runs out of vigor. You can fly as high and as far as you want without ever having to land and recharge or fall out of the air because you have ran out of vigor and momentum.

Its because saying its a skill issue wont get you banned from the forums. If most of us said what was in our head. We would always be on a break from the forums. So we say it in a nice way. Its a skill issue of you cant figure out how easy it is to fly or do anything in the game that requires a person to have a heart beat, a half a brain cell and able to sit Infront of the game for a few seconds and face roll their keyboard to accomplish.

So, I made it to the 4th zone, skipped half the content in the 3rd zone and decided I won’t be playing much of The War Within. Have 4 months left on my subscription, but just can’t do the “Sky Riding”, skip content just to unlock the pathfinder. So, I’ll stick to Dragon Flight and older zones or what’s maybe around the Isle of Dorn content. Offer what services for free as always crafting.

2 Likes

The worst part I think is forcing PF at this point when it is obvious it serves no purpose other than to hurt players that are impacted negatively.

:surfing_man: :surfing_woman:

4 Likes

yeah…I dont even get it at this point.
Prior to DF, we could all just TRY to believe that PF was actually for 'exploration on the ground"…feeling the danger…whatever…but now?

Now it just feels like the remnants of flight hate obstinance and petulance than something this game should still have in it.

And I could even cope with that if EVERYONE was affected equally and not literally it being used to torment lesser abled/disabled players who are literally the ONLY ones being affected by it…as per Ions own statement about steady flight being for ‘accessibility’ in that video many of us watched a bit back.

1 Like

PF is dying a slow death on the vine and it is the end. The end is sooner than many believe because patchfinder has been used as a backend retention mechanic truthfully for many expansions post WoD. But what has that done? Split the player base and it is obvious that that split hurt guilds, friends and family. And many of those players never came back and peeled away to Final Fantasy. That is why Final Fantasy was able to pull away and be on top compared to WoW retail early in BFA and beyond really.

We are seeing a reverse situation now unfolding with early access where the player base is split once more and that is only on a shorter time table of less than a week. Imagine splitting the player base in half by keeping TBC normal flying locked away for nearly 12 months ore more. If this was any other typical job it would cause an immediate job loss with such a decision that hurts business income and cash flow. Keep in mind that cash flow from shop sales, subs and services is what funds future projects.

Nearly 50% reduction in up front box sales at the start of the expansion, lost sub money for 12 months or more. Also leads to less shop and services in the store. Why do you need a character transfer if you are not even subbed? And if you are not subbed why even buy from the shop? And if you are subbed you are not in a hurry to buy a service as some are just going to play the older expansions.

Also keep in mind that Legion expansion was in development during MoP alongside with WoD. That is why WoD was the filler expansion and Legion expansion development ramped up during early WoD beta. But Legion was the last full fledged expansion.

The no fly ever decision and subsequent disasterous pathfinder decision that splits the player base really impacted how BFA was developed. BFA was really a shell of Legion expansion in many respects. And we see the same with Systemlands and to an exten to DF. In other words the player base was eroded badly by three major points: Trying to remove and gate TBC normal flying, mass pruning of Legion and rental system shenanigans.

Which is no coincidence that classic era of WoW is so popular witih players. DF expansion was supposed to be an olive branch offering to undo those three main points. But in reality they haven’t followed through with unpruning, and fixing the mess of rental system shenanigans which causes hollow class design to be left behind. That void left behind has to be filled in with actual class design (eg Demon Hunter).

But the worst is PF because it really hinders new players to WoW and has been acting like major road block for new players to engage with WoW content out in the world. But devs that do not play WoW would not understand the plight of new players or how during leveling they are missing too many class tools.

This is why feedback is important to pushback against decisions that impact the unabled, disabled, new or returning players. Patchfinder was a failed experiment of using it as a backend retention mechanic to prop up the tail end of expansions. At the same time now it is pushed forward at the start of the expansion but still gating exists.

We all know the truth and the truth is the ego and pettiness does not make good business sense. In business speed to adapt to customer needs and be agile is what makes you money and customers happy. Waiting ten years later to have PF unlocked with just starting expansion quest chains is a little too late. Delayed justice is no justice as the young ones say. And that is why PF must be removed so WoW can move onto a brighter, new future. A clean slate as we turn the page to a new era.

All the decisions that split the player base are avoidable with a flip of a switch. As long as ego is put aside by the devs.

But that is why we as players provide feedback!

Thanks for your time!

:surfing_woman: :surfing_man:

1 Like

I love it when the trolls come rushing in here with this laughable trash argument…“the game shouldnt be built around handicap players” like a long list of them have pulled over the years in here, including more recently.

As if there werent ALREADY accessibility features in the game, lmao.
As if Ion himself didnt literally use the word ‘accessibility’ referencing steady flight. lmao.

3 Likes