Why do so many people dislike skyriding / dragonriding?

I’ll bet they’re going to phase out static flight in a subsequent expansion and they’re making it a 5 sec pain to switch flight modes towards that end. Mark my words, static flight will be gone before long.

1 Like

I think it is to encourage people to not use both but while that is a possibility it is unlikely now. It is unlikely now because how popular it is for players to use both which is why five second toggle switch is hurting players that want to use both.

:surfing_woman: :surfing_man:

1 Like

Sure, but traveling long distances isn’t the issue. What Blizzard is trying to discourage is the hop and plop local gameplay style where you kill a mob, lift off and fly 15 feet, land, kill a mob, lift off and fly 15 feet.

Also the “float in the air to avoid aggro while waiting for the quest item to respawn” , or “float in the air waiting for the elite mobs to pat out of the way so you can precisely land and click the thing and avoid combat”.

That stuff is much easier to do with TBC flight. You don’t have vigor that will run out forcing you to the ground for a sec, and you can literally hover in place.

Idiocy???

Especially since no clip is not in game. No clip means you can go through anything.

2 Likes

How is that wrong game play? Rogues can stealth from mob to mob or even avoid an entire area filled with mobs with precision.

Saying TBC normal flying precision with hover and hopping is overpowered but then in the same time ignoring that so many specs and classes have stealth and invisibility doesn’t make sense. Please make it sense.

2 Likes

If you think for one moment people would be missed if they stopped coming to the forums to troll because Blizzard made the WoW forums work like say the Diablo forums where everyone is identified as a single ID.

No one would care really. I no I sure wouldn’t miss people who think it makes them more important to swap between a dozen hidden toons ID’s to sound more important than what they really are on this forum or to simple troll.

Yeah no clip does not exist in WoW. Maybe they are thinking about clipping of capes with weapons with transmog?

1 Like

you don’t use vigor to do that, you find an ledge to wait on till you see the spawns. same difference.

1 Like

Yeah I got no clue, like I have no clue about Gabitha’s policing thinking we are all 1 person.

1 Like

We are indeed different people and we are united against PF shenanigans.

4 Likes

At least that’s interacting with the actual world geometry. There was gameplay involved in looking at the world around you and identifying that spot in the world and then flying to the ledge, and it’s somewhat immersive and cinematic to sit on a dragon on a cliffs edge.

That’s far more awesome than just letting go of the W key and hovering in place, ignoring the zone around you.

Thank you for your eloquent and thoughtful post. Let me add there is more to gain from not locking steady flight behind pathfinder.

:surfing_man: :surfing_woman:

1 Like

annoyance isn’t immersive. and cliffs being everywhere is no different then just fly above. no skill involved. You can create as much excuses of this as much as you want, but it’s the same. No skill, no interaction with foes, mount up and fly to mob to mob, gathering mot to gathering mot the same way. The only real difference is one is faster and with a unwanted mini-game attached to it, with obnoxious animations that causes people to get sick.

1 Like

Try to spin it as negatively as you want, but dragon riding is objectively interactive, requiring player inputs to stay in the air, otherwise you will eventually be forced to land. Steady flying has no such restrictions, and ceasing to input commands results in hovering in the air indefinitely.

If you can’t see the difference, I don’t know what to tell you.

Gliders and stealth can ignore most of these “challenges” I don’t see the whining about this from those that makers or designers of the game.

So why is TBC normal flying being singled out here?

4 Likes

And I don’t think that’s a bad thing. I don’t think it’s bad limiting the usage of no clip. It having much stronger negatives than before I think is a good thing. Just like I want hammers to be limit so that they are not used to break windows all the time.

It is bad to gate and I will tell you why:

No clip does not exist in WoW. WoW has TBC normal flying and DR.

Second, there are no stronger negatives as TBC normal flying is slower than DR.

And third, if you think TBC normal flying breaks the game why was it buffed?

The hammer was buffed.

It is now a jack hammer.

3 Likes

The ability to hover in place, there being no cost to skip past things, and the free access to it are negatives.

Ability to hover has never been OP. Stealth is stronger because it can be done indoors and outdoors. I can hang out for hours on end in stealth. Hover only works in outdoor settings and there are flying mobs that auto daze from behind.

With stealth I can use vanish to enter back into stealth.

Stealth beats out hovering all day and every day.

Your move Druid.

:surfing_man: :surfing_woman:

4 Likes