Why do so many people dislike skyriding / dragonriding?

I am not impressed with flying animations in Skyriding on several mounts, such as my Headless Horseman’s mount. Looks like he’s trying not to drown. He’s a magical Undead horse. He certainly doesn’t flounder around in the sky when the Headless Horseman is aboard. And he’s UNDEAD. His days of gamboling like a lamb are far behind him.
Even worse, even with motion sickness settings on, I cannot abide it for long. I have several mounts that I rarely (as in, not in YEARS) use, such as Vanilla Raptors and the Dragonhawks; they move around the screen too much for me to tolerate. I leveled my first toon ever in 2008: a Troll, who I then did the grind with Org rep ASAP because the starting zone quests gave rep for both races and wolves bounce less.

Unrelated: And why on earth did Blizz decide to take a toon I have done nothing with as my avatar?

3 Likes

I do not like Dragonflying or now Skyriding 100%. And yes I collected all power ups, and I know how to use it and I don’t get dizzy.

The thing I dislike, is the fact that in order for you to start generating Vigor(the resource to use skills) you need to push your nose way down, so far down that it feels unrealistic. Which means basically when flying you have to fly in a way where you soar down, then back up, soar down then back up.
Which is annoying when you try to enjoy the surrounding. I love old flying because for a change I can take a rest from actively “playing” something and just fly around.

9 Likes

Gliding or flying in a sinusoidal manner defies physics.

:surfing_man: :surfing_woman:

1 Like

gliding is good for long distance
but clunky for local punctuated
precision flight.
as long as i was able to hot key
one of each mount type…it was fine…
but they “FIXED” that…
and now it’s an acute pita!

1 Like

The 3 reasons people keep making threads questioning why people like or prefer old flying are:

1. They have superiority complexes because if you use macros and 3,000 add-ons you’re a better person
  2. They are narrow-minded snobs because they think everything is about pvp or being active 24/7 behind the screen, and HOW DARE anyone take a break without jumping through hoops!
  3. They are shallow and can’t understand other people have different opinions and reasons
11 Likes

I dont hate it but i def prefer static flying as i’m usually multitasking anyways so the whole flying mini game doesnt always work for me. plus i really hate the little “woosh” animations constantly happening on the screen.

6 Likes

If you all put as much effort into playing this game as you all do complaining about this game you all be world 1st mythic raid clearers.

You know, originally that little “woosh” animation… is not so little, and it annoyed and grated on me in a day.

Luckily this is among the few areas where Blizzard deemed that we should have the option… to turn that off. Hit ESC then select “Options”, on the left hand side search under “Accessibility” the section “Mounts”. There you find “Skyriding Screen Efffects” and if you turn those off those whole screen “woosh” effects are gone.
Unless you didn’t mean those… in that case please just disregard my post.

1 Like

The mini game is anti immersive and takes you out of the world which is why TBC normal flying is my winner!

:surfing_man: :surfing_woman:

6 Likes

Not everyone plays to be a sweaty 1%. Some of us enjoy the outdoors content in WoW.

8 Likes

“Exactly. Some of us are just here to have fun.”
/smile

5 Likes

I see some people have an issue with their reading comprehension as well…LOL

I like both types of flying and I enjoy how much dragonriding has enabled me to explore and just travel in the world. It’s really great but it is inferior to old flying in a few ways.

No hover and less precision in general. Short hop flights are annoying, gathering profs more annoying to do with it.

I was hoping for an instant toggle that could be used in flight. If I’m way up high going somewhere and I have to get up for some reason it would be nice to be able to swap and hover until I get back.

3 Likes

They should’ve made the toggle per mount instead of general. Flying was perfect with a quick mount/dismount depending on how much you extended it.

The biggest issue for people that are not phisically ill by motion sickness, is the obnoxious " 1 quick big way ride" compared to steady moving and standing still flying. You can’t mess around with dragonflight in huge zones compared to old flying. It’s really just a get fast from point A to B.

6 Likes

Because I just want to auto fly and alt tab but feel obligated to dragon ride for speed.

1 Like

Maining monk because at least I can still zen flight while having skyriding active.

Wait, what? Is “static flying” the same as TBC flying, and same as “Steady Flight”? I’m getting confused with all the names, and what it what? I need some clarity please.

3 Likes

Even the min/max players like outdoor content because they have to level up their alts in case of a spec becoming meta.

:surfing_woman: :surfing_man:

2 Likes

So Static Flying is TBC Flying which goes by the new name Steady Flight when it is toggled correctly. If it says Sky riding on the toggle, you’re in the new version of Dragon riding, but now is a lot more of your mount selection.

1 Like

Everyone accepts TBC normal flying. Steady flying or static flying do not stick.

Now when it comes to DR aka DF aka SR well who knows which will stick in terms of name that players will accept.

Most know it as DR because it was introduced during Dragonflight expansion!

:surfing_woman: :surfing_man:

1 Like