Why Do Raiders Care What iLvl Gear Open-World Players Are Running Around In?

All players have stat issues, the fix is to grind out content. You know we don’t get all our gear overnight, right? I mean, if we want say high haste low crit on a piece of gear, we have to grind for it, sometimes it takes way over a week. You guys have the same type of option in open world. Not all your gear is the same stats, you have to grind out the one that has the stats you want. You can also give up a few ilevels for better secondary stats. Being hand fed raiding gear will not solve your stat problem.

1 Like

He might not have known about the 262 BoE you can buy with selective stats. Hopefully that helps. Ring also comes with socket so that’s an extra 16 on top of the enchant.

yeah, i did buy one piece and even a 290+ legendary base. I really tried to make it work :).

In my experience, i have never had great secondary stats on my warrior or feral druid. But it happens a lot that at the end of an expansion, due to catch up gear, i get close to raider gear and rotations flow like butter and hit good.

Am i being too picky here? I just wanted to express this issue i had for the longest time. And i still believe that a fresh expansions with fixed haste for all classes at 30% (+ more from gearing up) would greatly smooth out global cd and general combat. (But that is far fetched for some, right?)

Also, english is not my main language, i may have expressed myself suboptimal.

Are you using the free Unity? If you get revered you can select the stats on the second 292 Unity legendary. If you post on your main, we can look at your gear and actually help you.

This is a weird discussion. In FF, “open world” players can receive 5 levels lower gear than end-game raiders. No one bats an eye.

If those players want to raid, so be it. You can’t restrict [in party finder] who joins your party if they meet the qualifications. If they fail the mechanics and clearly are unaware of the process, you kindly ask them to leave and start over.

Then again, FF raids are 10 minutes each as opposed to WoW’s 2+ hours.

I genuinely don’t see an issue with taking the FF approach specifically with gearing. Open world is also slow as heck compared to end-game raiding, so there’s that.

(Open world meaning running dungeons and other content. They don’t really have “open world” gearing outside of weapons.)

I’m also going to add this in hopes you understand the reason we don’t want to just give you free gear for nothing.

I made the swap from my Monk to my Druid for this raid tier, it took me 2 weeks of 10+ hours a day grinding out m+ and open world (which i’m still not done getting exalted on) as well as some raiding, to perfect my gear. And i got lucky

I have 141 dungeons logged on this toon. It took me 141 dungeons worth of content, say approx 30 mins per dungeon (sometimes more, but that’s a generous average), to get 3k+ score for 278 conduits and to perfect my gear as well as valor to upgrade all my pieces of gear.

Season 1 it took me well over 40 runs in Mists to get my trinket, I got lucky and got it off a +0 on the second week’s run, so I didn’t have to spend weeks in one dungeon just for one piece of gear.

It’s been well over a month since I made the swap and I only just recently got my staff and upgraded it with valor. And I’m still missing the necklace from Mythic Arti to perfect my characters stats.

You don’t get the stat value you want in just a day, it’s a long tedious grind and it’s harder for some people than others, because of luck.

You don’t deserve to be given perfect stats that you think you need, without putting the effort into getting them that everyone else had to do. Countless hours, of the SAME content, all day for days and days, per item.

You do the work we did, you get the rewards we did. I’m not trying to sound mean about it but I hate the fact people want what we worked for, literally for free as if you’re entitled to it, and then say oh but you guys think you’re entitled to it, well yes. Yes we are. We worked for it, you didn’t.

Someone won the lotto for $50m, are you entitled to $50m too just because they got it? No. That’s a bad analogy but I think it sort of gets the point across.

Simply because FF is FF and WoW is WoW. They might both be MMOs, but they are not the same MMO.

1 Like

I appreciate your well, thought-out response. It truly added to the overall conversation.

The whole point of playing a competitor for anything is to see what could be better. FF gearing is better. FF’s overall formula rarely changes, which is arguably better. FF open world content is better (Also subjective).

RuneScape used to be one of the largest MMORPGs right next to WoW, even beating them some years in the past for #1 MMORPG at the time.

It was a MMORPG that required a lot of solo content and later added a raid similar to WoW that quickly died.

RuneScape is pretty dead now, not just because it became a pay to win game back in 2011, but because they added an AH that had just about every piece of gear in the game there. And money was easy to obtain, so everyone and their grandmother could have the exact same gear.

I played RuneScape since 2001, I quit shortly after it was sold to a CEO and the “everyone gets the same stuff” plus pay to win started.

I was a dedicated completionist player over there, I did all the content and mainly by myself or with 1 other person, gear was hard to get back then as it was now (in wow), and it was fun to do. Once they made it so everyone can have everything the population died, and died, and continued to drop.

Imagine if WoW did the same?

Which are all highly subjective. WoW has a long history of rewarding players who do end-game content and push for progression in them. Earlier expansions of wow offered nothing for world-only players. Seems like a problem that showed up once they started giving world-content players gear they didn’t have to earn. Gear that rivals normal raid for doing nothing.

Vanilla
Burning Crusade
Wrath

All of which only rewarded end-game play. World-content players didn’t get squat back then.

2 Likes

In FF you can buy 10 levels ilvl lower gear from the AH. 590 when max is 600 I believe. You can then farm the standard resource through dailies to make it 595. It’s a fairly moderate financial and time consuming process.

You can then also get 595 from a capped weekly resource through dailies and other content. Which can then be upgraded to 600 only with end-game raid resources.

I’ll play devil’s advocate for a moment. FF also has a die-hard fanbase who appear to see no wrong in the game. I thoroughly believe FF has lived off of that fanbase for most of its entirety. That’s why they’ve changed practically nothing over time (Outside of class abilities and new classes).

WoW changes so much. I feel a lot of us take it for granted. New and excited is a net-positive formula even when we hate it. It breathes life into the game no matter how poorly thought through it was.

WoW isn’t like FF in that it can’t live on graphics and vanity items alone. It needs new and better. It needs to continue being the best gameplay MMO on the market.

Rant over. I think WoW needs new and better gearing models. I think it could take from FF easily. People will be upset but they’ll continue playing the game once they notice it doesn’t effect them.

Change already happened, you get gear similar to normal raid ilvl that people never got years ago.

Big change like giving people close to mythic raid gear which requires so, so much effort is when that specific content will die, because why do it?

RuneScape is the best example I can think of as to why that type of drastic change is bad.

Went from 250k+ players online, servers were capped at 2000 players at a time, almost all realms being full. Now you’re lucky to even see one realm with 100 players on. Nobody’s playing it anymore because it changed so drastically and people are getting things everyone else had to work for in the past.

Take the fun out of the game, you don’t have a game anymore.

1 Like

End game was a different thing. It was introduced one raid at a time, when it was ready, full of bugs far worse than are put in now, you didn’t have a mapped plan that told you when it was going to be released and what the item level increase was going to be, and they didn’t have the ilevel thing where you just make item++ with stat++.

It was the EverQuest model.

Now, honestly, it seems different. Mythic is end game in the sense you can’t push to the highest echelons without great gear, but you can get started immediately. It’s not really endgame anymore.

What’s my point? Dunno. Maybe back in early WoW they could put all the spirit gear into raids where you needed it while putting something else open world. Now they’ve closed off too many routes to “separate but equal.” We have a rat race to high ilevel.

Yeah I agree, it’s a different feeling than it used to be. The point was that people weren’t up in arms like they are today about world-content gear.

1 Like

It did but clearly people want more. Isn’t it strange how they feel they can even ask for it despite how much WoW has changed? That’s one thing WoW does better than FF. People ask for change because they believe it might just make the game a little more for them. (FF players don’t really want change lol).

I don’t know much about Runescape, but from what I’ve seen visually, I think it’s a no brainer it would eventually die off.

WoW’s gameplay is the best on the market. Take that away and I wouldn’t doubt it would meet it’s demise soon after. The gearing model doesn’t shouldn’t effect how people perceive the fluidity and responsiveness of the gameplay.

… I’d also love to get rid of RNG based end-game gearing.

Those people who want more need to put the same effort everyone else had to, to get that gear. Like, if you give people a finger they want the whole hand, and the arm too.

RuneScape was arguably the best MMORPG, albeit extremely grindy (Absolutely no contest on the nature of how grindy it is, one specific thing came out many years ago that literally was a 6 month grind and it was a requirement, but it wasn’t bad because the game was super social and the content was kind of fun). It was ahead of it’s time if you compare Early RuneScape to Early WoW, like back in the early 2000s.

The creators of the game cashed in their hard work and sold it off to a company that wanted big $$ and completely ruined the entire game literally day 1 by releasing pay to win. If that never happened, RuneScape would probably be the #1 MMORPG right now. It literally had everything people desired and all forms of content for all types of players that each had their own unique rewards the other players didn’t have access to, but were all equal in one way or the other, idk if that makes sense? Like, if you did just quests, you didn’t need a PvE’ers gear, you had your own special gear that you earned from questing that benefited your type of gameplay, and so on.

I absolutely hate RNG because there can be weeks on end, even sometimes an entire patch, where you get absolutely nothing. But, as much as I hate it, I also enjoy it when I finally get that piece of gear I was after, because of that sense of completion after all the pain and suffering.

The gearing aspect of it is what separates the different types of content though. The exclusion is the 0.1% of players that do high end things for strictly achievements or to be in the spotlight. Everyone else does it for the enjoyment of unlocking that new piece of gear, learning a new fight, and pushing their limits with everyone else.

If everyone had the same gear available to them, there’s no more pushing limits because everything is going to be significantly easier when you outgear the content.

1 Like

What is a open world player?

You telling me that there are people who do not raid, m+ or pvp? What do they do then? Leveling? lol

I know some people play for RP purposes tho, is that what u talking about?

People who just do quests, world quests, kill rares etc. Anything outdoors I guess.

The thing is, you do have options. Just because you decline to participate in the options that exist, does not mean you have no options. You’re coming across as asking for the rewards from doing content x without doing content x.

I mean everyone kind of does that no? We need to do that to get rep etc… To unlock stuff to finally do the good content.

Wait a minute, there a people who does that as a main content activity? Like for real? They LIKE doing that on purpose? I thought everyone hated that “you have to do WQ and kill rares etc to get rep and unlock stuff” kinda bs

today i learned

1 Like