Why do people think Chris metzen can change the narrative of WOW?

thanos and cpt murica and iron man saved marvel
also logan

1 Like

That’s incredible considering Stan Lee had zero to do with the production of any MCU film. He would literally show up for his cameo and go home.

2 Likes

Actually… yeah.

I seen the threads back when he was with Blizzard and I seen the threads after he left. It went from hatred to nostalgia.

I can’t remember what famous person said this but it was something along the lines of your music career takes off after you die. Same principal applies here.

2 Likes

If Metzen can prevent the terrible writing that resulted in a Dollar Store Thanos retcon who was “secretly behind everything that’s ever happened in Warcraft”…yeah.

1 Like

i did dig stan lee cameos

1 Like

Well his position sure did change quickly from creative advisor, so safe to say he is or has been rather working on 11.0 and is giving me a tad more hope in the game from a story point of view.

I do kind of doubt what bell hears is all too credible or at least should not be taken seriously. There is always some sour person that won’t be able to do a self insert so they whine on twitter or somewhere.

I think Chris Metzen now from the title has a bigger impact potentially.

Now I’m actually interested in blizzcon to come.

1 Like

You don’t think he had creative input? Cause he for sure did. Kevin would utilize him a lot and at times it changed the direction of the stories to be either more inline with the comics, or create a new portion of the stories that made sense in todays world.

2 Likes

the movies follow comic storylines, and they ran out of popular ones around endgame.

1 Like

Wasn’t disagreeing with you that most are like you said, just that some of us didnt / dont / havent changed our opinion of him

2 Likes

Back on topic, metzan signals change and change is welcome after BFA/shadowlands. I didn’t hate either at a micro level. Questing was fun and the world building was solid. Dungeons felt good, and the art team killed it.

The wheels fell off on story and class balancing.

Micro stories have been great, but I think it’s because they have room to breathe and junior devs can play in the sandbox a bit. Stretch out and tell a fully fleshed out, but grounded story with a clear start, middle, end.

Macro Story has felt pieced together and full of left field plays for shock value/surprise because someone is still caught up on Buzzfeed being a reliable source of marketing. The story is buckling under the idea that any finality is fatal, when really change and growth are good.

Reading how dumpster tier a story is doesn’t make me want to sub to your game, even if the subreddit is on fire for a few weeks. They need to get back on track, because even story beats you can anticipate are enjoyable if done well.

4 Likes

Fair enough but tbf when you start off your reply with “nah” it kind of makes me think you were disagreeing with me.

2 Likes

poor choice of words. foruming while netflixing…

1 Like

kinda want to see a cage match with ion vs metzen

1 Like

oof tovi squaring up

1 Like

Hmm no. I have no problem with Sam. I was just explaining my reply.

3 Likes

Is that the new insult du jour? Low testosterone? Why is it always a health condition? :woman_facepalming:

1 Like

Metzen’s role is advisory. Steve Danuser is still the Narrative Director lead.

I will say compared to last expansion: the lore, story telling, characters, etc. are a major improvement.

It must be so much harder to write lore for a persistent MMO game compared to a singleplayer RPG game like BG3.

3 Likes

You can read sooo much into that too. Essentially, they are a bit spicy that team erotic assault is gone.

2 Likes

Well, especially since WoW keeps going and going and going far past anything they likely planned for. I would bet they had written the entire BG3 story plus more for possible DLCs very early in the development process.

3 Likes

No one can lose in this game. Ever. If they lose, OMG FAVORITISM CUZ WOW IS RL LIFE AND IS SRS BSNS.

I give Metzen’s work all kinds of heck because I’m a bitter jerk who couldn’t do what he does in a million years, but the reality of his audience is that its impossible to please all the time.

3 Likes