Why do people play on PVE servers?

There you go with that reading comprehension of yours again. I’d like you to quote where I said I wanted to gank anyone. It’s the danger that makes the game fun but go enjoy that epic target dummy combat.

You were defending ganking.

That’s enough for me.

This 100%.

PvP servers are like Mos Eisley spaceport… “Nowhere will you find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.”

Simply not fun places to play.

5 Likes

Sometimes, world pvp can be fun. Even on my old PvE server there were constant, massive raids at Tarren Mill and that one outpost in the Barrens.

That said, World pvp is not -always- fun. Sometimes it is extremely frustrating, and can downright make you want to stop playing. When I’ve had a rough day at work at just want to come home and relax, do some leveling/pve questing/whatever, and then I end up constantly getting ganked by some self-important rogue who gets his rocks off at depriving others of their ability to play the game… that’s definitely not fun in any way.

On a PvE server, you can avoid that. You can turn on your pvp flag when you want to, you can join the big orchestrated PvP raids on enemy towns/cities, you can do battlegrounds when you want a more ‘balanced’ PvP environment, but you can also do your questing in peace when PvP is the last thing on your mind.

For me there is absolutely no appeal in PvP servers for those reasons. If I’m on a PvP server I can never avoid PvP, whereas if I’m on a PvE server I can do either PvP or PvE at my leisure.

4 Likes

If I wasn’t going with rogue, not 100% sure I’d be playing PvP, I’d probably still play it, but being ganked sucks hard. That’s one of main reasons I’d race to 60, to avoid being ganked by 60s, at least to reach 45-50 before gankers get to 60, they usually gank 20-40 zone.

The problem with PvP servers (in my opinion) is that there are players of different levels, but no compensation.

Levels are a system for the PvE game. And levels are necessary to add a structure to the game.
But actually - from a roleplaying point of view - a player from Northshire could also knock down a Molten Core veteran.

It would have made sense here if there had been low lvl protection from the start of WoW.

Means as much as:
Players who are more than X level below someone cannot be attacked, except:

1. They are already in a pvp battle (this includes a low lvl player attacking you).
  2. You perform an action in the game world that would be to the disadvantage of the higher level player. E.G.: Kill a Rarmob, loot ore deposits, open a treasure chest and so on.
2 Likes

Oh my God. I knew I liked you.

1 Like

While PvP servers do have some major downsides, I still love it for 3 reasons.

1. It feels more immersive to me: If you were at war the enemy would not wait for you to announce you were ready to fight.

2. You can turn the tables on someone who ganks you sometimes. If you are good and someone jumps you and you STILL WIN that is an awesome feeling.

3. It forces faction comraderie and fights can escalate to epic proportions as everyone calls in their friends to help, which is just fun and makes for great stories.

This is actually a very good summary of things. Although outside of Classic’s context, it runs into minor problems once flying is added into the mix.

Shepard’s and wolves alike can’t do much about the wolf who doesn’t want to face either the shepard or another wolf.

1 Like

:rofl:

Just how I view it. I refuse to allow my enjoyment of the game to be ruined by someone who can’t bully others in real life, so they bully others in a video game.

7 Likes

A-freaking-men.

And I’m not even religious.

2 Likes

There is NOTHING gained by attacking lowbies, it doesn’t win the war, just like there is nothing gained by killing the bread vendor at x-roads. WE know it’s a game, WE know what advances our agendas. Killing lowbies is just being a jerk UNLESS they were just attacking your faction mates (even those at the same level range) OR they are in your way to some resource.

We should all be doing things to make the game more fun, that is what builds a community.

4 Likes

TLDR
The game is meant to be played on a pvp server. If you don’t have time for it, or just want to raid, or you are a pacifist, I’m sorry to tell ya, you are missing out on a huge portion of the immersion. I’m peaceful my self, but if you gank me I’m getting my main and its on! This adds multiple variables to the game, and of course fun.

For others, a little story.

When I first came to WoW, I rolled on a pve server. Greymane. I thought it sounded “cool”. When ever I encountered the horde, I always thought it was a bit odd that they couldn’t attack me. After all, the game was based on the animosity and war between the horde and the alliance. Later a friend invited me to run a toon on coilfang-us pvp.

When I first came to coilfang I didn’t notice much difference between my old pve and the new pvp server. Later in strangle thorn I encountered a hostile enemy player for the first time who ganked me. It immediately changed my perspective of the game forever. I was absolutely hooked.

No longer did I just have to stay on the road while exploring this dangerous, beautiful world, but now there was things running around more dangerous than tigers and lions. Every action became more meaningful from that moment on because of the element of danger presented by a pvp server.

1 Like

[citation needed]

5 Likes

If blizzard had intended for the game to be pvp they wouldn’t have made pve servers in the first place. Oh and you know modeled the game after another game that is almost entirely known for it’s pve.

PvP was literally just an after thought in WoW, it’s painfully obvious that for launch someone just said well this is Warcraft so I guess it has to have pvp, let’s make some servers where you can attack the other faction.

2 Likes

Consider that in modern, all servers are normal now. And we have warmode for world pvp. The dev implemented this for 2 reasons. 1 its easier to run the game with less server types, and 2 they want to encourage players to world pvp.

The game went live with 2 factions that are at war. The evidence suggests that pvp is where its at in terms of the most immersive experience one can have in the WoW.

1 Like

I mean if you don’t know the lore of warcraft you could easily adopt that stance.

And yet, despite all that…

They still segregate people that want to PvP from those that don’t.

They had to offer incentives to get people to world PvP to satisfy the small number of people that wanted it all the time.

Most of the “War” in the game has come from fighting opposing faction NPCs or working together with the opposing faction against NPCs.

The entire world is built around questing, dungeons, raids, and other PvE things.

Battlegrounds were added to give them somewhere to segregate PvP players off to.

I’m sorry, but WoW is a game built around PvE, and that is the bulk of the game. PvP is simply there, and shouldn’t be considered an integral part of the experience.

6 Likes

Lore is horde vs alliance not pvp. PvP has as little to do with Lore in WoW as it did in WC2 or 3.

At that we will have to agree to disagree then. Good chat :slightly_smiling_face: