Why do people play on PVE servers?

And people wonder why there’s a stigma toward PVP’ers…

7 Likes

There are rarely if ever any fair fights on PVP servers. Not many people pick fights they think they will lose.

1 Like

That has zero to do with it. No amount of skill is going to overcome a 20 - 30 level gap or a 3:1 ratio.

1 Like

This happens. But then there’s the times when a ganker bites off more than they can chew and get rocked. Nothing is better than beating back a ganker that opened on, and you were able to turn the tide and get them instead.

Not all pvp servers were filled with gankers that just ran around all day looking for level 22 nooblets in ashenvale or something. This mostly happened in the world that developed slowly after arena, patch 3.3 random dungeon finder, and finally cross realm zones came into being.

These additions pulled away/diluted populations of ‘good guys’ that would in the past have come to mete out justice to the gankers.

With wow classic we get server only communities back. Free from arena, random dungeons, and cross realm. There will be good guys in the world again. Bad guys beware.

2 Likes

When you hear the stealth sound of a rogue and the hair on your neck doesn’t prickle, you play on a pve server.

When you run all the way to SM alone and sit outside in the road afk waiting for the rest of the group, you play on a pve server.

When a fight over a node with a member of the opposite faction is a foot race and an exchange of emotes, you play on a pve server.

When your memories of STV is just a zone full of easy kill quests, you play on a pve server.

1 Like

If you are on a PVE server and you still want to stand out as a tough guy, you still have the /spit emote that Blizzard gave us. Cool I guess because you get to insult a player but have no fear that they might actually hit you back. You can feel all mean and bad without really risking any skin at all.

1 Like

so imagine my surprise while questing in westfall, when a message pops up saying sentinel hill is under attack. i hate that. wpvp is then had on a pve server. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

oh you mean it doesnt sound the same in a battleground? :thinking:

1 Like

Interesting Us v. Them thread. The OP question is posed to pve server players.

Most of the responses are basically the same mine would be (although more eloquently put). My time on a pvp server lasted until about level 25 when I was crossing Hillsbrad Foothills to get to Shadowfang Keep. Never made it. Never logged back on to that server.

What’s laughable is all the pvp servers players answering the question when it wasn’t posed to them. It’s like they want more fodder to roll on pvp servers.

2 Likes

Yea, we are here defending pvp servers from the accusations, and misinformation spread by pve server players. The question posed resulted in answers as to why pve is better. Ergo we, are here.

It certainly is tougher as alliance, with two leveling instances in horde territory.

But alliance have travel advantages at 60 from Ironforge. So if you can survive it on the way, you’re better off in the end. At least in that aspect.

Never made it huh? As many hexagrams of the iChing have it - perseverance furthers.

For many of us, hardships and learning to overcome them makes us stronger.

I assume most of the PVE players are afraid to answer.

The question has been answered ad nauseum. Choice. Generally, players who roll on PvE servers like having the choice of when to engage in PvP rather than having other players force that choice upon them.

I am not especially into PvP and have always played on PvE servers, and yet I still have over 8k HKs (almost entirely from pre-cata content), so PvP still happens, even on PvE servers.

I simply find world PvP, when it happens because people are just bored, so hey let’s attack lowbies, to be meaningless and uninteresting. I have enjoyed world PvP when there was a reason to be fighting, like for control of the closer graveyard in Zangarmarsh, or Halaa battles, or defending faction cities. I haven’t really PvP’d much since Wrath, but I will still flag up if I see “Cathedral District under attack,” because Horde defiling the Cathedral of Light has always been, and will always be a killing offense. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s totally fine. Your choice is entirely your own. But advertising 8k HKs is hardly a selling point for PVE pvp play. 8k is about an afternoon’s work for a honor/rank player. I’m exaggerating a little, but not much.

My point is that even people who don’t care about PvP, still end up engaging in it at times when they choose, it is simply not the part of the game that they focus on. Obviously some people will PvP more than others. I could have easily had many more HKs if I PvP’d more, or I could’ve had almost none if I almost never did. 8k is a reflection of how much I personally chose to PvP. YMMV.

1 Like

I could have been full Naxx geared if I raided.

That’s generally the idea.

The problem with these types of threads is that the people who roll on PvP servers know exactly why PvE players roll on PvE servers, but some can’t stop themselves from insulting PvE players for being “care bears” or bad at the game or whatever. PvE players don’t care about any of that nonsense. If we did, we’d roll on PvP servers. Instead, we roll on PvE servers and do as we like.

3 Likes

So if you guys don’t care, why do you always take the bait? PVP’ers see sparring on the forum as sport. Sometimes we even gank.

You don’t know why because you don’t get it. It isn’t stress that makes them just stop and die, it’s the fact that you are annoying them and they want it to be over with so they can get back to what they were doing. What is the point of fighting back when the person who attacks you only does it because they have a big advantage?

I know how to fight a relatively even fight if that is what I want to do. I have done a few battlegrounds and I don’t just stop and die if attacked there. I do the job I came to do. I’m not great at it because pvp just doesn’t interest me much, but I will do my best if I have put myself in a situation where it is appropriate.

I would occasionally get flagged on the pve server back in the day and generally my response to getting attacked was to either flee if it seemed possible or just die fast so I could get my pvp flag timer off so I could get back to things that mattered to me in the game. It also seemed more satisfying to just die and show the person that I just didn’t want to play their game and give them the satisfaction of a lopsided fight.

It isn’t stress that makes many just stop and die, it is often just contempt.

2 Likes