Why do people play on PVE servers?

So I can avoid sociopathic d-bags?

5 Likes

I don’t care for World PVP overall. Rather just enjoy questing/grinding in peace. If I want WPVP I can go to the zone objectives, or gurumbashi, and as well as queue for battlegrounds.

2 Likes

No it was happening in vanilla as well, people on the out numbered or worse pvp faction moved away from that faction/server. No reason to think it won’t happen again.

2 Likes

I played on a PvP server for a year back when I first started playing. Never again. I don’t even use warmode in BfA.

I prefer PVE servers because I like being able to go about my business in the world without getting ganked. Nothing fun to me about leveling a lowbie alt and having some max level idiot come up and one shot me, or trying to get into a dungeon and getting camped.

1 Like

Sometimes you want to play without being bothered. Maybe you have limited time to play and don’t need it filled with being corpse camped.

PVE server.

Sometimes you want to be bothered or bother someone else and don’t mind the occasional set back.

PVP server.

You can have toons on both.

A PvE server is for those who don’t enjoy PvP. A PvP server is for those who do enjoy PvP.

Glad I could clear that up for you.

5 Likes

Some people prefer desert over everything else.
Some get really stressed at games with players as well, so someone killing them would make them throw their computers out of the window type of stress.

It probably has to do more about emotions, those people who throw the game controller at the tv because their friend beat them in smash bros or something.

Because pvp in this game is horrible. Wasn’t implemented right and the honor system is pathetic. Battle grounds? Eh.

1 Like

World pvp is fun for a couple hours then it becomes a huge pain in the azz.

1 Like

You can get that same element of danger by playing flagged on a PvE server. The only difference is that you can’t get the drop on the other player, but they can attack you at will, if they so choose.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again… I saw more wPvP on my PvE server than I did on my PvP server. I don’t know the reason, but I think it might have been the fact that people weren’t afraid to start something because they knew they could just unflag after 5 minutes, if they wanted to go back to PvE.

PvP servers do have a charm to them though. There was an evil joy in dropping a freezing trap on Alliance players when they were busy with something, even if I didn’t engage them further. Trollish behavior.

Once, while leveling, I managed to freeze a level 70 who was mining a khorium vein (or maybe a different ore, I forget) in Nagrand. I grabbed the node and then just danced in place. He quickly unfroze and murdered my dumb face. Then he went and murdered every other leveling Horde in the area. He ganked for ages and it was all my fault. Fun stuff.

3 Likes

I have limited time to play and don’t want what precious time I have to be interrupted by being ganged and corpse-camped. Pretty simple.

As others have said, if I want to world PvP, I flag and go play, then when I want to go back to questing I turn my flag off. Best of both worlds.

4 Likes

Because I actually want to play an RPG and enjoy it, not get stabbed in the back at level 20 by a level 60 and be corpse camped and teabagged repeatedly while having to beg to be bailed out when I was in the middle of an interesting quest line.

6 Likes

I played on a pve server in vanilla and a pvp server in TBC. I didn’t really see much difference…aside from the occasional gankster. And on the pve server, there was always wpvp somewhere if that’s what you were looking for SS/TM was a near constant thing. I also remember people hanging out near the BG portals (back when you actually had to go there and click on them) and also around Black Mountain.

I loved BGs in vanilla, but I never played WoW as a pvp first game. Which is why I’ll more than likely be on a pve server.

1 Like

Some people don’t like PvP. In retail, I don’t enjoy PvP, in Vanilla through WOTLK, I do. Just because someone else doesn’t hold that same opinion doesn’t mean they should be forced to play on a PvP server. If they want to quest, farm, and do what they so choose without getting ganked, so be it. Let them. We have plenty of people willingly playing on PvP servers that can be killed for doing so.

I prefer PvP servers because I’m competitive and enjoy killing players competing with me for quest mobs, drops, or just being in the area that I’m in. Or fighting another player when I’m at a disadvantage or I don’t expect it. Not everyone thinks and feels the same way as I do. They aren’t harming anyone by playing on a PvE server.

1 Like

A) The whole “Horde vs. Alliance” thing is contrived and silly, given the entire point of Warcraft 3 was that the faction war was wrong and needed to stop. The only people who take WPVP seriously are the ones who really don’t seem to care about the lore or just want an excuse to gank/screw around with other people’s ability to play the game.

B) As a general rule I’d rather be able to choose if I PVP than let someone else decide if I get to log on and do what I wanted, or log on and have an hour wasted because some jackass thinks that his enjoyment is more important than mine.

The second is the most important part. While PVP might be fun sometimes, in the end it lets somebody else decide if/when you get to play the game, and if you get to do what you intend to do when you log on. Someone else should not be able to dictate what you can do in a game that you pay a fee for. Especially when these people seem to do it legitimately to try and goad you into calling for help, so they can get to do what they want (world PVP/screwing around) while preventing you from doing what you want.

On top of that, there’s a general stereotype that people on PVP servers tend to be jerks, and while that’s not at all true for the majority I’m sure, it’s true enough that you tend to see a lot of condescending replies from people on PVP servers in regards to people who don’t.

5 Likes

Because I’m a carebear.

This is where you lost me, this doesn’t make sense. On a PvP server I’m limited to one style of play. I can’t run through any zone I want and decide to only PvE, I’m forced into PvP, there is no choice at this level. That’s why you decide to play a PvE server, where you can manually flag in open zones, play BGs, or arenas.

1 Like

Thank you. There is no “challenge” when the majority of the fights are 5 to 1. I don’t pay a monthly sub just to have my game time ruined by a bunch of psychotic jerks. I play on PVE or RP servers because the communities tend to be less toxic and I can PVP at my choosing.

Also @OP, world PVP is not the only activity that separates an MMO from a single player game. Dungeons, Raids, Battlegrounds, Arenas,World quests etc. are all activities in WOW that separates it from a single player game.

3 Likes

To give a response other than “I don’t like pvp” … I can’t always focus on the game 100%. Between babysitting, college, taking care of my grandparents, and the other things I have to get up and down for I can’t give the attention required for pvp all the time. I like to play on pvp servers, but it’s not always possible. Also, I have developed a rather severe anxiety issue over the years. Some days I just need to log in and zone out, and the pvp environment doesn’t help on those days. But, I also don’t group for quests, dungeons, etc. when I’m like that.

3 Likes