Why do people play on PVE servers?

I was a tauren warrior in vanilla.

Oh hahaha it’s true. Very small. But how did you know. Have you been peeking? :wink:

1 Like

The problem with the whole “It feels more dangerous!” argument is that there is absolutely nothing stopping you from flagging for pvp on a pve server.

On a pve server, the pvp is real. Virtually all pvp on a pvp server is non-consensual. And most of that is made up of ludicrously pitched battles. “If it’s red, it’s dead” is what sociopaths tell themselves to justify the digital equivalent of running up and down the beach kicking sand on people’s beach towels and stomping on sandcastles. No one ever saw a full health character 5 levels higher than them, or someone who vastly out-gears them, or who is a class/spec that theirs has little chance against and says to themselves “If it’s red, it’s dead!” before barreling head first into oblivion.

There is plenty of world pvp to be found on a pve server, you just can’t giggle and cackle like a mental patient as you mow down people half your level who are just trying to play a game and have fun.

“It’s not enough that I succeed, other should fail” - David Merrick

I’m not saying everyone on a pvp server thinks that way, but enough do that it makes no difference.

8 Likes

I think non-PvP server players assume its a nonstop occurrence when in reality I would classify it as “uncommon” to even engage other people. Unless you’re fighting over a mining node.

1 Like

WPVP isn’t supposed to be consensual. It’s supposed to happen when you least expect it, hence the element of danger associated with it.

1 Like

Says who? there is no one right way, there may be a way someone prefers but no one ‘correct’ way.

2 Likes

I’m too nice when it comes to ganking. I normally don’t mess with lowbies if they are questing or fighting a mob. I have actually helped them on occasion if they are about to die. They give a wave and say “thanks” sometimes and run off to wherever. My thoughts are usually that there is a person like me on the other end just trying to level. I will hit them if they are my level or higher. I don’t care if they are higher and i lose. Im not dying in real life. lol. I always get ganked by a high or max level player. NEVER been attacked by my level or lower when leveling. (cowards!!! lol)

1 Like

Not getting ganked while going about your business.

With the exception that the beach has a rule equivalent to pvp servers stating you are allowed to kick sand on towels and stomp sand castles.

Most beaches have rules about behavior/harassment.

1 Like

Yup, and if I had a choice between playing on a beach where people are free to kick sand in my face, and one where I can build my sand castles in peace, I’ll choose the latter, because I don’t personally have any desire to kick sand at people.
That’s why I play PvE

4 Likes

Because I am intelligent enough to realize WoW has never been a PvP centric game.

IF I had something to prove, I would do it in a game designed to do it in. Why be the tallest gnome in the circus? Why not just be the Tauren you claim you want to be?

3 Likes

I was leveling my Zandalari Warrior recently in Voldun (Warmode) and I helped a fellow leveling horde member take out a 120 that was attacking him. We were around 112 or 113. The next thing I know is there are two full alliance raid groups camping turn ins at Vulpera Hideaway. Not a fan of people not allowing me to play the game.

A PvE server gives you the element of both worlds… if I want to fight the enemy I can enable PvP or join a battleground, but if I just want to relax and go gathering, or questing I can disable PvP. A PvP server is a PvE server with “Griefing” enabled… sure… if I want to PvP I can go about anywhere and have at it… but if I want to relax and go gathering or questing I am at the mercy of other people ganking me. If a bunch of level 60’s are running around Redridge and I just picked up a bunch of quests there… well, I have to waste time running to another zone.

I think most people on a PvP server are good. They have their own rules they follow, and respect other players. But then there’s “that guy” who gets bored and just goes around killing lowbies. And “that guy” ruins the experience for me. What is the point of killing low level players?

“Because it’s PvP”? That excuse is worn out. PvP = War, and even war has rules. This is a video game and the rules are much much different. If people followed WoW PvP rules for war, then we would say it’s okay to slaughter innocent women and children “Because it’s PvP”

“Because the game allows it”? Yawn… that doesn’t mean you have to do it. Real life allows you to murder people, but you don’t do it because it’s wrong. Some people have no moral compass and use this excuse to justify griefing people.

“Because they are the enemy and I cannot allow the enemy to grow stronger”? ok… well, now you are RPing… because you don’t kill the enemy permanently… they will eventually reach level 60… all you are doing is hindering someones progress.

The real answer? There is no answer. You are just a jerk if you kill lowbies. <3

3 Likes

Some of the best World PvP I encountered was on PvE servers.

All you have to do is /pvp and it’s go time.

Consensual PvP is where it’s at.

3 Likes

As someone who originally played on a PvP server consistently from 2004 vanilla release all the way up through Cataclysm (then on/off again ever since), I want to play on a PvP server for Classic. I absolutely loved the experience I had there, especially in vanilla. I have no regrets and, given a time machine, would pick PvP every time for vanilla.

But, I also realize that a lot of what gave that experience its charm was that WoW was new to everyone. To put it simply, we were all stupid and fumbling around. Nobody knew exactly how to play the game, nor was theorycrafting and min/maxing a thing to the degree it is now. Everything was very organic and new for the whole player base.

Now, world PvP is going to be one of the sweatiest things there is. The number of min/max documents circulating from optimal leveling routes to BIS item lists and such is pretty significant. It is not going to be the experience I had in 2004-2005. Dynamic world 1v1 PvP where you contest questing areas against the opposite faction that slowly grows into a back-and-forth brawl is something I just feel won’t be common.

Roaming teams of people focusing on grinding Rank 14 or just plain griefing with tuned min/max builds and BIS gear that know how to wreck with their class is going to be way more common than 2004-2005 WoW. This is just inevitable for an MMORPG as time goes on and people learn the game.

Those of us on PvP servers remember the 1, 2, or 3 people who were notorious for being excellent at PvP and camping high traffic areas. That is probably going to be 10, 20, or 30 people+ now at least.

As much as it pains me, I will be rolling PvE for Classic WoW to avoid the intense sweatiness that I predict will exist on the PvP Classic WoW realms.

3 Likes

Too bad I can be flagged without me doing it so it’s NOT consensual PvP if its ona PvE Server.

I would pay extra to be on a sever and never have the ability to flag. Just teleport like happens in Dalaran.

didn’t they get rid of pvp/pve servers since it’s just something you toggle on now and phase into pvp or pve?

The appeal of a PvE server is that the best part of a game for me is playing against the environment - quests, mobs, dungeons, raids. I prefer coop games over competitive, even in physical sports. Even the board games I pick lean toward coop over having 1 traitor or teams playing against each other.

I do sometimes play competitive games, but only when I get to selectively choose those I play against - friends who are good sports.

It doesn’t matter how many PvPers are good sports, because the very nature of being able to attack someone attracts the ones who are not good sports at all. They will always look for ways to gain advantages like attacking someone whose health is low after fighting mobs. Whenever you see someone brag about ways to make someone get armor durability hits, that’s not a good sport who just enjoys PvP - that’s schadenfreude (pleasure derived by someone from another person’s misfortune.) I choose not to engage by playing on PvE realms.

I started on PvP servers - Horde on Ner’Zhul and Alliance on Crushridge. My experience as a 30ish dwarven hunter in STV almost made me quit playing WOW. I wasn’t being allowed to enjoy the PvE aspect at all.

After I moved to PvE and then RP-PvE realms, I enjoyed wPvP where I could make an active decision to /flag and engage, and I enjoyed PvE where I could make an active decision to not be flagged and focus on the world instead.

An amalgamation where I can’t actually enjoy the half of the game I want to isn’t of any value to me. I don’t feel limited because BGs and /flag exist as options that are always available - but on my terms.

3 Likes

Says the rogue.

1 Like

PVE servers are solid for people who are just starting the game and want to get to know more without being camped.

I swapped from PVP to PVE because of this back in the day, then back to PVP after knowing my way around a bit.

Keep in mind though if you FLAG yourself for PVP in a PVE realm you will be venerable as if you are in a PVP realm. I enjoyed that much because I could dip into and dabble with people messing with me if I had too.

1 Like

Fine, so “fun” and “exciting” that you GOING to roll a Druid so you can stealth past them :smirk:

Same deal, your words and actions don’t match.

I changed my mind. I’m going to roll an undead hunter.