Why do people play on PVE servers?

Started on PVP server in Vanilla.
Got ganked a lot in STV, Barrens, Stonetalon… I earned my levels.
Enjoying max level & then “Paid Character Transfer” happen mid 2006?

PVE people came to PVP servers, imbalance happens not in my favor.
Decide its not worth it to level on a PVP server, ever again.

Because pvp isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. Played on a few pvp server’s and
and just didn’t care for them. Frankly I don’t like looking over my shoulder every five minutes at the thought of getting ganked. I would rather freely quest without the hassle of pvp. You want to play on a pvp server go for it.

2 Likes

This is how I feel and why I am torn. I have fond memories of being ganked (well not that part) and calling in the defence/area channels for help and have some high level goon squad come and save you and gank them. Which leads to all out war when more people of each fraction show up.
Yet now being older and less time. Sometimes just might want to quest without the worry.

1 Like

As far as pvp is concerned I’m only interested in BG’s. So naturally a PVE server is the best option (thanks to cross realm BG’s). I can’t be the only one who just wants to BG and not world pvp.

1 Like

i played alliance on Dethecus in vanilla…
Played on a different pvp server in TBC.

Pvp is what you do in battle grounds and arenas.
What happens in the open world on pvp servers is not pvp, its professional griefing.

If i do play classic i want to spend all my time progressing my character. I have no interest in being somebody else’s entertainment at the expense of my own time.

7 Likes

If I want PvP I have EVE.

The wpvp in wow just feels hollow. It feels empty. Oh, I got killed by that guy, or yay, I killed that guy… but why? It’s just kind of there.

1 Like

It’s interesting seeing all the variations of the “not a true scotsman” argument.

The problem becomes that I want to do something in the game, but I can’t do it, not because I don’t have knowledge or skill, but because another player finds it fun to deny me access to a part of the game I’d like to enjoy. WPvP can literally make WoW unplayable at times (I’m looking at the high level mage who decided that the character 30 levels below them wasn’t allowed to quest in Tanaris…).

3 Likes

Yep, so “fun” and “exciting” that you rolled a Druid so you could stealth past them :smirk:

1 Like

I’m old and have experienced a lot of stress in real life. Now that I’m retired and have almost no stress, I’m enjoying myself on a stress-free, carefree PVE server.

PVP servers are definitely not my idea of fun. Besides, at my age, reflexes and quick-thinking are not part of my skill set anymore.

It’s wonderful that there are a selection of servers that meet almost everyone’s needs. Freedom to choose is a wonderful concept. Putting people down for their choices shows immaturity.

1 Like

Since you missed my point… Leveling takes that long on a PvE server once you get a bit in. Longer if you’re pretty casual.

I don’t play on Playgrounds. I’m a Grown Woman Retired from the US Navy back in 2005.
You on the other hand seem to have a HUGE Internet P***s based on your past postings.

In Real Life your condition is called “Little D**k Syndrome”

It’s ok, many Men…(in your case Boy) have it. Nothing to be ashamed about.

Carry on.

10 Likes

Sorry, but those of us who have played on PvP servers (in my case for the last what, 8 years on private servers?) the dream you guys sell leaves us frustrated when we find out its a lie.

PvP players paint a picture of a faction war thats never ending and beautiful. Suspense around every corner, massive battles that put Braveheart and LOTR movie sequences to shame! Never ending fun that extends far beyond slaying dragons and gearing up!

Only to find out, that once you finish getting BWL/AQ gear at max level world pvp dies because no one will attack you. In fact, other 60s actively run from you when you show up. People will attack your guildies on their level 60s and log/hearth/vanish when you show up.

Its frustrating as hell to realize all those dreams people sold you were a lie. Maybe if you are lucky… MAYBE you may fight with a guild or two outside a raid instance on raid night… but other than that? Yeah… its nothing. Level 60s ride right by each other and farm right next to each other instead of fighting. Its like everyone wants to punch down, but once it becomes a challenge they lose interest.

6 Likes

That’s why you see the person you quoted and the rest trying to spin “It’s not the REAL game if you’re not on a pvp server!” line. Their fun depends on other people not having fun.

3 Likes

Bc they’re casuals

I have no proof other than my word, but I don’t play on a pvp server to gank people.

I play for the full immersion of a big, beautiful, and dangerous world of excitement, that only a pvp server can offer.

Some of my favorite times in Vanilla were when big WPVP events happened. The most memorable situation happened when I was hanging out in Goldshire at level 58 with a couple of 60’s. An Orc Warrior and an Undead Mage showed up and flagged for PVP. The three of us decided to engage, heading toward the edge of Westfall after we pushed them out of Goldshire. Eventually, it escalated into a 20v20 situation in Westfall. It lasted for hours, and it was incredible. This was well after BG’s were in the game, but WPVP can be exciting, community-driven entertainment.

All that being said, I prefer playing on a PVE server, because I want to engage in WPVP on my own terms. It’s not boring when you’re actively choosing to engage in it. The only situation that makes it boring is repeated ganking, and that is not the majority of WPVP on a PVE server. I much prefer WPVP over BG’s because it isn’t limited to a static environment. The human element is much less restricted in WPVP, and can lead to amazing community-driven content.

2 Likes

I played my old main on a PvP server for 9 years. I’ll take my experience over anyone’s protestations “they’re not like that” any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

The reason is simple when you think about it. Consensual vs. non-consensual pvp. Whether that is better or not is subjective, and thus cannot be ‘proven’ one way or the other. Choose what you want, and have fun.

Back then, I had two servers that I played on: Arthas (Pvp), and Silver Hand (RP-Pve). You can have both in that sense.

Okay. Ive been on a pvp server for 10 years now, and have been ganked, which is what pve advocates main issue is appearently, hundreds of times.

I can tell you that the majority of that ganking happened during the period of time after 3.3 dropped and just before cross realm went live. Because lots of players ceasing going out into the world in favor of standing around in dalaran and what ever capital to run random heroics.

This left gankers largely unopposed.

Edit: The ever increasing fixation of players on arena, and rated battle grounds have also played a part in leaving gankers unopposed.