Why do people play on PVE servers?

I remember in vanilla when I first went to hillsbrad. I was amazed that you could attack other players. Level 60 night elf hunters were running up and down the road killing everyone. Low levels were running around in groups causing trouble. The place was so lively and exciting. I couldn’t even level my character because I got so addicted to doing world PvP there. Those days were the days when I had the most fun playing this game. I’m thankful to the level 60s that killed my low level character. They made the game really fun for me. And I’ll make sure to keep my server exciting, just like it was back in the day.

If you don’t want that, I have some bad news for you…

I used to be into that sort of thing when I first played in Vanilla, but these days I am more of a “live and let live” type person. Even in Warmode today in BfA I tend to leave folks alone unless I have a quest or achievement involving killing people. I just don’t really see the point of putting yourself at the mercy of some bored rogue while you are trying to kill mobs and quest. Especially when even PvE servers have PvP options right there and waiting in the form of battlegrounds and city duels.

But if that’s what you’re into, no judgment. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I played through vanilla and tbc on a pvp server. It was a huge pain at times, and a ton of fun at others. There was always those who just wanted to make you quit playing, but then there were those times that what started off as a 1v1 turned into a massive battle with guildies and anyone else that came to help and it was awesome. Sure you lost an hour or more that you could have been questing/leveling up, but those memories are just as much my enjoyment of the game as anything pve related.

All that said, it’s also nice to be able to go about your business without that worry and aggravation. There is a choice for good reason, and there is no right or wrong.

I never quite liked it because the act was mostly meaningless outside of some very minor honor. In general, compared to proper PvP MMOs, there is no risk, no real loss, no real gain = no real point.

Had they made central encampments in zones that you could conquer for your faction that would have been an actual reason. Like if the Hordes outpost in STV could be captured by Alliance giving you the best hub in the zone for questing, an easy route to SM, class trainers, profession trainers, a griffon, etc.

They could further this by making it so if you own the most outposts on a continent you get a world buff on that continent. Could be something like honor gain increase, reputation increase, PvP related things that wouldn’t mess with raiding. Maybe world buffs that you couldn’t carry into raids, but could use in dungeons, and generally made questing easier.

Unfortunately the game has nothing like this so, yeah, its pointless.

1 Like

I believe something along these lines was implemented in BC. I don’t quite recall the name, however I remember there being strongholds that both of the factions battled over in a WPVP setting.

This in-turn, from memory, gave certain advantages to the faction who controlled the stronghold.

I leveled this rogue on a pve server during tbc because world pvp was boring and meaningless to me, I only cared for arenas.

Well, for some players, the nicer people you find on a PVE server are desirable. For some, the lack of the ganker mentality is a real plus. For others, being able to play their limited play time in peace without being disrupted by a sad little rando. Mostly the last.

2 Likes

Yes having your time wasted is how you prove you’re not “lazy”. Good one, your “mindless fun” is imbalanced garbage, nothing more and your ganking isn’t going to change that fact.

1 Like

Um.

Who said anything about me doing ganking? I’m rolling on an RP-PVE server.

This is a miraculously stupid attempt at an argument. Vanilla has a hundred times more PvE content then PvP, there is way more to get from Vanilla PvE than PvP

2 Likes

It’s almost like that just exposes that your crying about flying being the cause actually isn’t correct and WPvP just sucks, and is why people need to be bribed into doing it now.

2 Likes

What?

Junny, I’m not accusing flight of anything. What are you on about?

If you’re going to attack someone, make damn sure they deserve it first.

1 Like

I played on both PvP and PvE servers; PvP with my guild, PvE solo. Despite the fun I’ve had with my guild on the PvP servers, I have always preferred PvE.

• Sometimes I just want to relax and run around gathering materials without the worry of gankers. I don’t enjoy being on edge all the time.

• I still have the opportunity to PvP on the PvE server. You can flag yourself at anytime to invite PvP from the opposite faction. In fact, I saw more PvP in Vanilla on my PvE server than I did on my PvP servers. No one wanted to really start trouble on the PvP server, whereas I was constantly participating in world PvP while leveling on my PvE server - good times running to Crossroads in revenge raids or defending Astranaar.

• I enjoy world PvP, especially massive gank battles or town raids, but I don’t want to harass anyone who isn’t interested at the time. PvE servers are totally opt in; anyone participating WANTS to, which makes it more fun for me.

• Outside my guild, the PvE server just had generally more pleasant people. There was a significant difference in attitude between the two server types, I’m sorry to say.

1 Like

Some people just dont like world pvp. Specially the gauntlet that is STV and similar zones. The amount of time that getting ganked adds to your leveling time is too much for some people.

Here goes. Imagine that you’re running along, doing your thing, trying to get task A done. Suddenly, you’re attacked. Maybe you were in the middle of a fight with a mob, maybe you were picking a flower, whatever. Now you’re forced to fight, even if you didn’t want to. So, you die, cause they’re a rogue, and they got you stunlocked to death. You think, “Ok, they moved on, time to get back to task A.” Nope. They’re camping your corpse, and every time you res, you’re killed. Again and again, until you rez at the spirit healer, or log off for an hour or so. I guess you aren’t getting task A done!

That’s why I don’t do wPvP.

1 Like

You can flag yourself on a PvE server. So’s ya know.

1 Like

its called pve sever

People that play on PVP servers and look down on PVE server people are lame.

-signed, a pvp server player.

4 Likes

Thats sort of been my point. If we want to get an accurate representation of what the world is supposed to look like, then PVP would be it.

You aren’t supposed to be picking flowers in a state of peace. The world is meant to be scary, and danger needs to be looming around every corner when you leave the castle walls.

I at least believe that was the original spirit of the game.

However everyone is entitled to play however they like, this isn’t a bashing post.

IMHO only.