Why do people ignore FF14's issues?

i understand you don’t want your favorite game put into a negative light …but you also can’t tell me you know what happened for something you 100% weren’t there for.

wiped multiple times to close calls in some savages for the day. it’s clearly a healing issue and i refer him/her to whitemage guides. I’m sure he/she took it to heart but there’s no way that should have warranted a 2 day suspension.

i still play though. i’m one of the veteran red mages of jenova =)

It’s not an easy problem to solve. The reason the “present” game is so fantastic is because of the investment everything previous to it engenders in the player. Even if all that previous junk is a painful slog. I don’t blame anyone that doesn’t make it, nor do I fault them for their skepticism that what comes after is any different. FFXIV does not sell itself well in the beginner experience.

2 Likes

*laughs in 6.2 for a year

Oh ya, definitely. People complain about everything always lol

I kind of disagree with this premise. I won’t say that ARR is perfect, and there are definitely too many of those ‘go talk to Bob, then come back, then talk to Jane, then come back’ quests… but I think ARR does a pretty decent job of selling itself to its target audience while also being accessible for brand new mmo players.

It is a JRPG in MMO guise. So it’s a story game first, and that is what you’re here for. And if you don’t like that, you probably won’t like late game either.

Who FFXIV doesn’t sell itself well to… is MMO veterans. But I don’t know that the intro should be targeted at vets. Vets know what MMOs are afterall. But that’s another discussion entirely… so I’ll just kind of leave it there lol

1 Like

And it’s a discussion I think we’ve touched on before. I think the only people that the FFXIV beginner experience might be suitable for is someone who is entirely foreign to the concept of video games, or at least has very limited experience with them. Now that I mention it, the only person I got into the game that never had issues with the pacing had only played Animal Crossing games before. Everyone else - even those who had never touched an MMO - were fed up with the pacing long before they neared 50.

Fully agree. The impact of important world and character building that happened in ARR can still be felt all the way to the end of Shadowbringers. It will continue into Endwalker as well.

That has been very much not my experience. Mostly only MMO vets who try to rush to end-game get tired early. Everyone else I’ve introduced has not gotten frustrated with it… because they don’t expect to go to endgame straight. They do some main story, then they go do some gold saucer, level some crafting, level some alt classes, go just spend time chatting to people, etc. etc. etc…

It’s really mostly just MMO vets and the people who are given the ‘IT GETS BETTER AT ENDGAME’ advice and rush through trying to get to the ‘place it gets better’ that get frustrated, in my experience. People who go in with no expectations who are just told ‘hey here’s a game, go have fun, and I’ll be here to chat with as you do!’ tend not to have that experience… in my experience anyways.

Edit: And I do want to specifically call to attention that this isn’t to say that these players have been like ‘WOW ARR IS PERFECT!’, many of them have had criticisms of the early game in some small fashion or another… they just haven’t gotten overtly frustrated with the experience. Obviously nothing’s perfect and I’m not saying it is.

1 Like

It’s not just getting to level 80, MSQ complete. It’s just getting to Heavensward that I see people struggle with. If they can make that hurdle - when the story begins to pay off, when their class kit starts to come together - they can see it through.

I mean, one of my WoW veteran buddies can’t get through the MSQ because he’s distracted by chocobo breeding. That’s a different sort of problem entirely.

The issue is those initial levels not representing what the game is, overall, at all.

2 Likes

I still disagree. I think they represent them quite well. The story focus, the slow gcd, etc. None of that goes away. And trying to pretend it does misleads people.

Sure we get ogcds that make the pace feel less slow, but it is still the same combat. And sure the payoff for some of the story buildoffs happen… but it’s still the same story. And the same story focus.

If you don’t enjoy your time in ARR, you probably won’t enjoy Shadowbringers.

That’s my belief, and it’s held true in almost every case I’ve encountered. I’ve known so many people who pushed through ARR like ‘oh my god this is awful’ and then got to stormblood/shb and were like ‘when does it get better?’ because it’s still the same game.

That isn’t to say you have to be like ‘ARR IS THE BEST THING EVER’… but if you don’t, based solely on what you encounter in ARR with no outside influence, see enough good to want to continue on the game’s merits alone… you’re not going to find those merits later. Because it’s still the same game.

1 Like

It might be “The grass is greener on the other side” like someone else had pointed out. Its a false assumption because nothing is perfect and everything has flaws. I’ve played both games and I see the good and not so good points. Also, some people are upset for their reasons and tend to lash out emotionally. And then trolls doing their troll thang.

Theres a lot I love about wow and some things I’d like to see improved or added or changed. I’d love to see more constructive helpful conversation on social media and forum chat. I understand some folks aren’t helpful inclined. We’re all different. But our words and actions help make our community either a welcoming and friendly place or a negative rude place. I’d like to see all hair colors added to all races (but velf tentacle hair stays as velf only options along with more natural hair colors like black and white hair. No i don’t want to hear it over that). I’d like to see dye for armor or transmog, add again the ability to buy our skills at our trainer, Covenant flexibility, more dark or spooky zones, more non magic ranged classes or specs, I can keep going!

With FF, its not a game i love nor one that makes me super giddy to log into. I can see why some would feel that way about it but the scenery, the empty questing world which always made me feel like i was playing a solo game, the rare amount of zone/city chat/talk, clunky or janky combat, and boring alt class leveling are stumbling blocks to me. I can get over most of that but I can not get over an almost nonexistent social experience during the time I played ff14. Its not okay to me to say it gets better at the end. I got to lvl cap before and my experience really didn’t improve other than being pressured to raid on a class I didn’t want to raid on.

Each of our experiences are somewhat different and its easy to fall into the trap of grass is greener. But it isn’t at times and its important to weigh what we lose when we fall into that trap. Its good to appreciate the positive, be helpful and constructive on the negative, keep trying, and exert patience. Also, it’s okay to play two games at once and not beat one to death using the other. Thats how I see it at least.

We’ve just had divergent experiences, I suppose.

I actually find it’s the MMO veterans that give the early game the benefit of the doubt. It’s the newcomers to the genre that tend to give up when they’re going through a dungeon with 1… 2… 1… 2… 1… 2… ad nauseum. Oh, sorry - forgot AoE! 3… 3… 3… 3… Oh, time to let Alphinaud preach for 2 hours again…

It’s like when your significant other becomes indifferent and you start hanging out with someone else to make them jealous.

1 Like

Also, just spotted many of the posters that tried and failed to give FFXIV a shot:

2 Likes

I find the newcomers tend to be like ‘oooh the animations on that class look cool, let’s go start leveling that. Okay I’m now a level 15 in 6 different classes and 3 professions… what do I play now. Oh right! Main story! Let’s see what Alphinaud’s up to, I’ve kept him waiting long enough’ while the vets tend to be like ‘oh god another 2 hour monologue… sigh I give up’ because many MMOs teach their vets to hate story. lol

There is a WoW pet that you got for buying Mountain Dew called the Warbot, they eventually made it free for everyone

1 Like

Blue Bot > Red Bot

It’s down to the simple fact for some reason it’s normal behaviour to bash WoW

If people behaved this like on the ff14 forums a lot of guys would be considered raving lunatics

Theirs some complaints on the ff14 forums, but a lot less than on here. Not because of the quality of the games, it’s due to the quality of the player

We got so many edge lords who think it’s cool to hate on WoW

?

Every major patch adds a raid. Hardcore on even patches, casual on odds. Not every bit of content added needs to be an esport.

This expansion also had an additional three raids tied to Bozja, two casual and one hardcore.

Stop whining about games you don’t play.

1 Like

It’s interesting how you complain about people complaining about WoW while simultaneously complaining about WoW yourself, or at least WoW’s community.

2 Likes

Complaining = pointing out.

Ok.