Why do people ignore FF14's issues?

I would say that calling the players ‘edge lords’ and stating that FFXIV just has a ‘better playerbase’ counts as a complaint.

The people who play the games aren’t that much different. It’s probably fair that more of the bad apples get weeded out by FFXIV’s moderation, but FFXIV has its share of bad apples too. It also has its share of whiners. And WoW has good people who play it too.

WoW’s community has a seriously weird mix of self-hating and egotistic that is hard to reconcile.

6 Likes

Let’s take a step back and think about why it is this way. Wow devs have actively been antagonistic toward their players. They never listen and when they do “listen” they implement features in the most monkey paw method imaginable. Take the most recent valor points for example. When people say they wanted a valor points vendor I’m sure they meant for valor points in exchange for gear. Did we get anything remotely related to that? Nope we got a valor “upgrade” system where you have to re-earn every piece of gear AND time EVERY SINGLE dungeon at various levels in order to receive the “PRIVILEGE” of upgrading their gear.

It’s a blatant disrespect of players time and not at all what they wanted. Decisions like that is why wow is, deserving mind you, being bashed.

I mean it’s pretty obvious if you spend any time around the ffxiv community that they’re quite fond of their devs and game in general

Comparatively, if you didn’t understand the dynamics of wows playerbase you’d think the WoW devs personally pissed in everyone’s cereal.

I’m not saying the WoW devs make the best choices all the time, but the hate they get from people who play their game for many hours a week is phenomenal

And it’s not exclusive to WoW but we have it quite bad

Dawnspirit, you express yourself in a very fair-minded way here, so you get an upvote.

The Diablo 3 General Discussion used to have (still does?) a similar problem where Path of Exile played the role that FFXIV has been playing here lately. I grew to hate POE even without playing it (I did watch some reviews) just because POE players kept promoting it incessantly on D3 GD. It wasn’t enough that they enjoyed POE. No, they wouldn’t be satisfied until everyone else hated D3: RoS [edited] and left for POE like they supposedly had done.

1 Like

Oh 100% the relationship between the FFXIV team and the playerbase is way better than the relationship between the WoW team and the playerbase. But that doesn’t mean the players are better. lol

And yes, no dev team ever deserves vitriol unless they’re doing something blatantly not ethical. Changing the game in a way a person doesn’t like is not ethically problematic. So ya, the way the devs get hate is absolutely not acceptable.

1 Like

Which is equally frustrating, because these kinds of people almost exclusively ruin it for everyone else.

If you’re someone who likes the game and refutes dissenting opinions, it’s because you’re actually just a Blizzard shill.

If you have legitimate criticisms that can be leveraged at the game (because Shadowlands does have issues), you’re largely overshadowed by the screaming toddlers who don’t seem to understand that the problem is much more complicated than they would like to believe.

You’re either one extreme or the other. There’s no in-between for these folks.

1 Like

Sadly this has become the default for a percentage of the most vocal of the playerbase.

It’s actually quite bizarre behaviour from a bunch of what I’m assuming are 20-30+ year olds.

Well that’s the biggest difference between FF14 and WoW.

FF14 devs are very safe and stick with a tried and true formula, while WoW devs insist on trying new things every expansion, often to the game’s detriment.

You have a beef with things that exist in WoW, while I’m bored after 2 months of FF14 due to things that don’t exist.

1 Like

There are plenty of things to do in FFXIV.

2 Likes

Biggest issue I have with FF14 is that the jobs are more like specs, they are not remotely as deep as a wow “class.” I picked it up a while back and got a black mage into the 30’s (I think) and though I am aware I’d get a bunch of hardcore new spells right before cap, I just really hated the simple “fire fire fire, switch to ice for mana regen for a few, back to fire fire fire.” I read some guides, decided maybe I’d rather have a different job though I couldn’t decide what, and so I never actually subbed, just played out most of the free month.

I came of age with 8 and 16 bit final fantasies, so there’s way more nostalgia for me there considering I actually hated the WC RTS games utterly to the point it’s kind of shocking I picked and stuck with this (MMO) franchise.

I might go back eventually, but I think at this point it’s more likely if I quit this game I’ll just move on from MMOs entirely. I’m past my prime as a video gamer, I can’t even get past the first boss in most of the modern console games I’ve tried. I’ve never been that good at this game, I mostly just solo level, maybe some LFR at cap (haven’t even touched that in some time) or duo random quests with my brother who can play all of an hour a week. Today I played a few hours of TBC and it’s maybe the second time I’ve played all month, enthusiasm is just kind of gone. I know there’s no endgame for me there, I’m not social, I don’t want a guild, pugging tends to suck.

When I tried vanilla classic I joined a guild to level faster and the mage running the dungeons was a total jerk talking down to everyone and expecting everyone to follow his OCD instructions to the letter. Not one of us were having fun (except maybe the mage who would rather power trip on lowbies than, you know, do cap stuff), but none of us wanted to level the hard way. A few days of that and I was out. I’m not doing that again.

I need new hobbies in my middle age I think. No other MMO is going to change that, or at least I highly doubt it.

FF14s jobs early on are really, really boring but most get a lot better at max level. one of ff14s biggest weakness is its early game is absolutely atrocious.

however I disagree a lot with the supposed depth of wows classes. Sure some stand out but seriously how many dps specs consist of “press 1, press 2 when it procs, press three when bar is full, press your % dmg buff cooldown every 3 minutes.” maybe add a dot to maintain here or there.

3 Likes

Entire thread is two night elfs circle jerking being butthurt that male Viera are being “delayed” without “lore” reason.

Sorry snowflakes, there is almost? Maybe more? than 30 years of FF lore stating that Male Viera are rare and have much lower birthrates.

But I think we all know what kind of community is slobbering at the mouth for bunny boys, and they definitely have a running record of being toxic.

3 Likes

Yeah, I may have overstated the depths of wow classes. All I meant is that each wow class is (almost) equivalent to three jobs in 14, especially if one or more specs is tank or healer. It is good to know that the game gets better later, I do really want to like it for nostalgic reasons if nothing else. If I pick it back up I may go summoner, Rydia was pretty much my favorite character in FF4 and it looks like a lot of that is in there.

the only good thing wow has good is Blood Elf, everything else sucks.

TO be fair on this point. WoW’s “challenging” dungeon content comes from doing the same dungeons over and over just on higher difficulties. They’re not mechanically difficult, and only become hard as the numbers become bigger.

This is how I got through ARR. Decided it was cheaper to just be able to make my own gear so I started leatherworking. 15 levels into LW, I realized I needed the rest of the crafting classes to not have to spend tons of money on mats. So I’d knock out some story, go do crafting when I needed a break, run around and RP, knock out side quests, etc.

Never had this problem. Not saying you didn’t, but I’ve never found FFXIV to be lacking in social aspects or community.

2 Likes

FF14 does have some pretty horrendous content droughts. That’s actually the reason I hopped over to WoW because they were having an expansion release while FFXIV was still on the same content from almost a year ago. But I imagine this is the type of territory that comes with MMOs.

Most of the armor is cosmetic, and ultimately won’t help you with your in-game experience.

1 Like

FF14 kinda gets away with it by having “story” patches that add a bunch of story quests but only maybe like 1 dungeon and some updaets to whatever side activity they went with (eureka bozjan etc)

End game armor progression is super dull in both ff14 and wow but at least ff14 dosnt jerk me around with it.

This is part of the character boost. If you want to boost from scratch, you’re doing both. Let’s not list it separately. Also, WoW doesn’t even bother having you do 80% of the story anymore, since Chromie Time is a thing.

FFXIV patches are a lot more consistent than WoW patches. And they’re only 3 months into the current patch. Hardly a drought.

I -DO- think FFXIV has a lot of issues. There’s a reason I can only stand to play it for roughly 1-2 months per expansion. But it’s very subjective and what I see as an issue might be a boon to someone else.

1 Like

I’m sure players that have issues with their game discuss it plenty enough on their game forum

i wont say for certain youll find a job you like, just that the classes early on are much much simpler and duller compared to max level. I think both ff14 and wow struggle with having meaningful depth in their class design. Summoner is a good pick i think its one of the more skillful jobs. Definitely stay away from tanks and healers though as they are super simple and jobs are very homogenous within their respective role. In that respect i will agree wow classes are much better.

1 Like