Why Do People Hate Anduin So Much?

their relationship

their relationship

their relationship

ugh did you have to phrase it like that?

1 Like

It boils down to a lot of people projecting or not knowing how trauma works/not caring for it because they were taught to suck it up and hold the opinion that everyone else should.

I am not speaking to his character development or how it may have been botched (i.e. whatever argument there may be for that), but he is where they’ve decided they want him to be and if people don’t like that, then whatever. Cool. Who cares.
I’d go so far as to say he isn’t written for them and never was.
There are plenty of other ‘manly’ characters in the game. Take your pick.

1 Like

I’m here for escapist fantasy.
Sometimes, that means the ‘real’ can go to hell.
I’m not saying Anduin should NOT be traumatized by what the Jailer did to him- he logically should.
…but you know what? I don’t give a crap about him, and I never really have. I’m not interested in being forced to watch him go through therapy.

1 Like

he is soft. weak. unfit to be king.

we need a thug.

1 Like

There has been younger kings in the real world that did just fine. He was a teenager not a baby and in world like Warcrafts? Thats practically an adult. I don’t understand the current trend of people defending weakness. Life is hard, everyone suffers, you either deal with it or you don’t. Those are the rules. Anduin doesn’t seem to make the cut.

Assuming we knew the state of their mental health behind the scenes?

no one is forcing you to watch the trailer.

What does the mental state matter? It’s the actions, You can be sad, you can hurt, you can feel the pain of a thousand cuts inside. It don’t matter so long as you are able to act in a manner suited to be a leader. There is no room for emotions to cloud judgement, no room for irrational actions and choices… You have to be logical, you have to be able to lead. When they talk about the sacrifices a leader must make, these are those sacrifices.

A thug is too far, but I think the problem is that many of the peaceniks in Warcraft come off as too forgiving/vacillating? They constantly project weakness instead of strength. Baine suggested peace during BFA right after the Alliance raided Daza’Alor and killed Rastskhan, and looked like an udder (get it?) fool doing so. Thrall and pre-Mana Bomb Jaina didn’t really have this problem (well, Jaina did a bit).

2 Likes

Monarchies didn’t work because while people need to be ruled, they all want freedom. Monarchies don’t allow for true freedom so people rioted against the system and it broke down. Just as the same will happen to our current systems some day because they too don’t offer genuine freedom.

Perhaps people expect characters in a heroic fantasy setting to behave like heroic fantasy characters who have dealt with trauma.

Can we talk about Frodo Baggins?

Let’s talk about Frodo Baggins.

Frodo was a wealthy member of the Shire gentry who hadn’t done much in his life other than write letters and debate what to have for supper (and dinner, and lunch and brunch and breakfast).

And then, all of a sudden, he’s fighting the Witch King of Angmar in the Other World, and manages to stab him in the foot with his Barrow-Blade.

Not bad for a chubby gentry from the Shire.

Two weeks later, he gets a fast horse from everyone’s favorite Glorfindel, rides on ahead (remember, he GOT STABBED 2 weeks earlier) and stands off by himself (well, he had a horse with him) against the 9 Ringwraiths at the Fords of Bruinen:

With a great effort Frodo sat upright and brandished his sword.
“Go back!” he cried. “Go back to the Land of Mordor, and follow me no more!” His voice sounded thin and shrill in his own ears.
“By Elbereth and Luthien the fair,” said Frodo with a last effort, lifting up his sword, “you shall have neither the Ring nor me!”

Not bad for a chubby gentry from the Shire.

That’s how characters deal with trauma in heroic fantasy literature.

1 Like

Twink death.

But for real, Anduin-hate started in MoP, and has been going on since then. As someone said, it probably stemmed from his not being “masculine” enough or whatever.

For me personally! I don’t hate Anduin. I love Anduin! He’s one of my favorite characters. I loved him in MoP, with his optimistic and pacifist approaches, tinged with naivety of youth. I also like how they are portraying him in the newest cinematic! Boy has been through a lot! He’s traumatized!

What I really, really didn’t like though was how the writers handled his journey from Point A to Point B. Shadowlands was particularly unjust.

Anyway! My two cents.

Varian was constantly in a bad mood.

Jaina had her … interval of time marked by bad mood … after the bomb.

Magni’s been adamant about higher issues and not much of a leader lately.

Meqquatorque fell short of reclaiming his kingdom repeatedly…

Tyrande … elf biology is just different…

Notice how wow’s lore has no real political structure anymore? there’s been no mention of the Nobles of Stormwind in like 20 years. Horde changes warchieves every other expansion. Alliance has no succession relevant in any way beyond Humans…

the vision of this universe is blurry. very blurry.

And using the same formula over and over again is boring.

We’ve had plenty of characters who have dealt with their trauma in the way you describe already. These different types of trauma management can coexist.

Fantasy can be whatever you want, so why not this?
A good question indeed.

2 Likes

Probably because it’s world of warcraft, and not world of lets hug craft.

3 Likes

A lot of Horde players were annoyed at having to follow Anduin around and do what he says all expansion, starting with the Horde leveling experience in Krasarang.

MoP was the start of Blizzard’s blatant “only the Alliance matters” phase.

4 Likes

Again, boring, and frankly strange to believe a franchise can’t explore different avenues of storytelling just because of its title.

Fair! I admit I only played Alliance-side in MoP, so I’m woefully ignorant of the Horde-side impressions.

TBH the hate for Anduin in MoP is probably in-part due to the Alliance hate toward thrall during Cataclysm. Alliance constantly complaining got the Warchief exiled, and then instantly Anduin everywhere and he hasn’t stopped showing his mug.

There are plenty of non-heroic-fantasy-games where people talk about their feelings. You might want to check one of those out.

1 Like