Why did blizzard implement warmode and destroy the concept of PvE and PvP servers?

I personally hate warmode. If I wanted PVP. I played a PVP server.

If I wanted a mix, I would play on a PVE server.

It just adds another layer of phasing into the game, and I am already not a big fan of phasing. Quest phasing. Chromie time phasing. Oh gawd. I cannot see my friend. Forgot he had warmode on.

I just find it really annoying. Specially when you try to make groups nowadays.

1 Like

As others have correctly said, it was supposed to create a better playing field for PvP while dealing with others who rolled on a PvP server by accident or to play with friends.

It didnā€™t work out, though. Now itā€™s just two shards: PvE and Ganking. Which is even worse than it was before.

When I level a new character now, I turn on War mode at level 20, where I donā€™t see a single other player until I get to Dragon Idles where I am instantly farmed by fully geared level 70s until I am forced to turn it off.

Simple reason: Alliance cried about getting ganked.

2 Likes

This is EXACTLY it! They rolled on PvP servers for the thrill of the possibility of having their toon killedā€¦ Then they whined when their toon was killed. These are (or will be) the same types of players who will roll a toon on Hardcore modeā€¦ then complain that their toon died and they have to start over.

IMO, the idea that most players on a PvP realm were there only because their friends were there makes absolutely no sense. Soā€¦ thereā€™s a guild of 20 players who are only there because Timmy and Tommy started a guild on a PvP server?? Wouldnā€™t all those players roll on PvE server and if Tim and Tom want to join, they can come there?

Those who whined about PvP servers REALLY wanted a : ā€œPvP only when I want it and only if itā€™s a fair fight and only if people will help me if Iā€™m losing, and only if I donā€™t dieā€ server.

BTW: I am a Rogue. A very, very poor rogue who attacks everyone I seeā€¦ and loses most always. Total deaths from PvP: 8437266534 ā€¦ Total seconds whining about it: Zero

1 Like

War mode was the worst thing to happen to wow in my opinion. PvP servers were the way to go, and if you didnā€™t like pvp, donā€™t join a pvp server. Simple.

1 Like

War Mode is the best solution to the problem; PvP servers essentially trapped players into a Mortonā€™s Fork; either play with their friends and get chain-ganked by sweatlords, or play PvE and donā€™t get to play with friends since characters took a while to get up-and-running in the olden days.

The problem with War Mode is that the rewards donā€™t make sense; it should reward bonuses to Honor instead of XP and Gold. Now the cynical side of me says this is a ploy by Blizzard to try and supply more warm bodies to WM for gankers, because War Modeā€™s rewards donā€™t make sense for either mode.

The death of Emerald Dream WPvP will always be my biggest WoW heartbreak.

yā€™all really out here reviving 3-year old threads.

2 Likes

Yessir itā€™s time for change

1 Like

Strongly disagree. Nobody is forcing you to play on a pvp server. If your ā€œfriendsā€ want to have a character on a pvp server, so what? Maybe they prefer that and you shouldnā€™t want blizzard to ruin that with this lame ā€œwar modeā€
solution which pve players thinks work but really does not. You guys donā€™t get it.

1 Like

Youā€™re correct, but said friend should understand the risk that, if I jump on their PvP server, they would know there is a chance of getting ganked by the opposing faction.

If said friend doesnā€™t care, thatā€™s okay. Theyā€™ll understand I want to have fun THIS way, which is PvE, and weā€™ll both be on our merry way.

After all, one game shouldnā€™t oppose a friendship. Huge rule of thumb.

ā€¦ also, Iā€™m replying to a necro user. Yay.

But if pvp players PREFER to be on a pvp server because they donā€™t like war mode (I know many pvp players hate war mode) then why should they be stopped from playing the game how they want to?

Theyā€™re not stopped. Itā€™s an additional obstacle, but a small one.

An easy solution is going to a high pop server and turning it on.

no clueā€¦ all of us on PVE servers only asked for was to not be able to be ā€˜trickedā€™ into having our PVP flag turned onā€¦ Although, most of the PVP servers were so one sided to one faction that pvp never really happened.

They are stopped. Myself and others in this thread/other threads want a pvp server without war mode. So yes, we are forced to play on a pve server and ā€œopt inā€ to pvp, which creates open world problems. That is not how we want to play the game.

Its simple PvP servers 99% were lopsidedā€¦
Majority of People wanted to be on PvP server as long as it was easy to quest with no pvp

And warmode showed that most didnā€™t want to PvP in a more even environmentā€¦
As much as it can be even

Entitled much?
Developers decide how they want the game to run - so either you adapt or quick stomping your feet 'cause you canā€™t have PVP servers.

Ah yes, what a response. I want to play with my friends, so I have to endure the multitude of ganks and NPC town depletions that further slow an already slow leveling experience. Or, as you suggest, I intentionally avoid playing with my friends in a multiplayer-focused game.

Is War Mode perfect? No, it could use some tweaks (friends/guild always visible regardless of WM status, rewards need to be oriented toward PvP advancement not PvE advancement), but itā€™s way better than essentially being held hostage on a PvP server for the crime of wanting to hang with your buddies.

The only thing PvP servers do is force lowbies (including those freshly hitting max level) to endure the gank tax throughout their careers.

1 Like

How is this entitled? Itā€™s people like you who probably cried about dying in the world so they took away pvp servers. It was part of the original gameā€¦ you are slow a f

1 Like

Then donā€™t join? And if your ā€œfriendsā€ prefer a pvp server you should be happy for then that they are playing the way they want to. If they wanted to be on a pve server with ā€œwar modeā€ they would be. Why would you want your friends to be forced to play the game you want it to be?