Why can older games that had less money, less tech and less teams give player housing but WoW cant?

I demand that dance studio first.

Then they may begin on housing but never before. Until then I have them locked out of that part of the development section at blizz HQ with my mind.

1 Like

As I understand it, the landscapes of Kalimdor and Eastern, as they were originally designed, had no overall viewpoint from the air. Apart from routes taken by gryphons etc, they had no multi-dimension views. So in order to make player flight available across the entirety of Kalimdor, the game had to be entirely redesigned to enable that. So not only was the game engine required to handle all the flying methods (up, down, hover, land, launch, etc) in an environment not designed for it, it also had to be able to allow flying through a 3 dimensional world. I imagine that wasn’t done by a flip of the switch.

A basic example of that is Silvermoon. If you go to where there is the break in the wall between Silvermoon and the ‘old’ city, you can see views of the old part through the break but you cannot get past the break - because the views are only two dimensional. It’s not meant for travel through, just to see.

Now, I’m not a programmer and I don’t know all the technical language, but I remember very clearly that being explained at some stage before Cata (or maybe during its launch or shortly after), perhaps to explain why it took so long to bring it into the game.

1 Like

As the guy that replied before me these people are not underpaid. That said the state they live in is the problem and the company which has made billions off the IP has two choices. Move from the current state to a state that is more friendly to its workers or continue where they are and what they pay their employees.

Why should a California Blizzard employee and Blizzard employee who lives in any other state which have the same skill set, same job title but a much lower cost of living be given essential extra pay because it’s “California.” That employee has to make a choice, stay working in the state or move to another state in the same field or transfer to another Blizzard location in another state.

As far as staffing, that is what budgets are for and since the IP isn’t what it used to be, they just don’t have the money especially if in California to hire more staff (example if you hire a person for $115k, you need 7,667 subscribers to support 1 coder). Also recycling assets is done in practically every game as it’s far more cost efficient to do that then always do something new and exciting.

You want bigger budgets for the teams to hire more staff, then ask those at the top to take a pay cut. Cut out shareholders’ so that more of the money can go back into the company and they hire more people, replace aging equipment (poor hamsters), and slowly change the code so they can add in features most people would like, even if it’s not for everyone.

That all said, may your day end with some form of loot you need from the RNG gods.

1 Like

blizzard already gave us player housing during the Warlords of Draenor expansion with the Garrison Housing Complex.

Every time someone says that, somewhere a fairly dies. Or possibly a Gnome. :cry:

He addressed it in an interview a couple of years ago.

I think the issue is they really don’t think it will add much to the game and it would be a large drain on resources to do. Honestly, while I would love to see a robust player housing system created. I am more worried it will be another garrison like system with little to no player agency and just be a huge waste of effort.

1 Like

Why are you stealing Edamann’s obnoxious schtick

2 Likes

True simp in the wild

2 Likes

The issue with Garrisons was that they were required to progress your character and provided a one-stop shop for gathering, AH, crafting, gearing, and gold farming. You were encouraged to AFK in your Garrison as opposed to city hubs. Cosmetic housing only offers more benefit to the game and gives casual players more to do.

3 Likes

If I can plop down a gnoll tent, I should be able to plop down Teldrassil, a ziggurat or at least a 2 bed mud hut

:ocean: :dragon: :ocean: :dragon:

1 Like

I, too, hate when someone tells me how it works in the real world when it’s not the answer I wanted. One day you’ll understand how it works in the real world, until then you’ll just have to stay angry.

1 Like

You put together a narrative that really doesn’t have any bearing on what you’re asking.

Finally a sane comment on thread.

Back in the day you used to be able to exploit holes in the 2D meshes all the time to get into weird places like the unprogrammed wasteland below SW or the uninstanced version of ZG.

Ahh, those were the days.

It’s a private title/game from a private company. You have 0 saying on the matter. You live in an illusion.

Where did they actually say they couldn’t?

We know they’ve said the tradeoff in other content would be too high for them to do it, but that’s clearly a case of “we’re choosing not to and here’s why.”

Blizzard is a small indie dev studio, obviously.

I’m not really sure why people are obsessed with Player Housing as it would just be another place to hearth to.
Still, I suppose it would allow for Professions to have new things to make (like curtains for Tailoring, fire-grating for Blacksmith,etc.).

No ones angry. I’m more surprised people still defend blizzards terrible service