Why are there so many errors in the new quest text?

I’d argue that is already accomplished, if the main things people are complaining about is “Raven’s” vs “ravens”. People clearly understand it. But they are typos, that should be fixed.

They are also considered extremely minor/non important bugs, that are much further down the food chain of things to be fixed.

I understand your point.
Sorry have to go just logged on to computer to check weather ended up getting caught up on the forums.
Bad storms coming through.

1 Like

The devil is in the details. If you are sloppy on something as simple as quest text then what are you getting wrong on a deeper, more complex level?

3 Likes

Anyway-people not caring about this kind of thing is part of why our society is getting dumber all the time. Idiocracy, here we come!

5 Likes

As a person that worked in QA for 2 years, it means they are fixing the deeper, more complex issues.

Example, when I first started and I was in general QA (worked at EA. Don’t hate me), a text issue bug was considered a “Class D” issue. Which is the furthest down the totem pole you cold get.

Class A were game crashes.
Class B were things that stopped play, but didn’t necessarily crash the game
Class C were things more important than text issues, less important than B
Class D were non important things that different effect game play at all, like text errors.

Yes, they all need to be fixed, but Class D were the least important, and were gotten to when nothing else was needed.

And lets be real, 8.2 launch has had the deeper more complex issues that needed to be fixed at a higher priority than quest text.

actually, by blizzards own standards, i’m amazed that there isn’t an apostrophe in both versions… regardless of which is correct.

if you read quest texts, this is a very common mistake… but after having a bit of a back and forth with various reps, there was apparently some reasoning behind why this happens, and how nearly all possessives are managed like this.
(it was years ago… i can’t recall the “why”, but it wasn’t really a good reason) :stuck_out_tongue:

still bugs… which should be reported here:

eeep.
stay safe

1 Like

Yes. I didn’t mean to imply (if I did) they shouldn’t be reported and fixed.

Glad i’m not the only one it bothers.

That would mean they are using the same QA and development team for all parts of the game. Instead, a good game company splits it up into sections. There should be an engine development and QA, a network dev and QA, quest and lore dev and QA, art dev and QA, and so on. And then a final QA that tests the entire package.

The team that comes up with the lore and quest text should have proofreaders and copy editors that catch these sort of errors before they ever get out of their department. That so many make it to the final game indicates there isn’t a focus on quality at all, most likely extending to other aspects of the game.

3 Likes

one which makes my eye twitch, is in tk where there’s yelling about the sin’dorei
… my brain wants it to be a capital s. :confounded:

1 Like

Yeah, except that isn’t how real life works. Maybe in a perfect system you can have 50 different QA departments, but that isn’t how it works in practice.

Text issues will always been see as low priority, because it doesn’t effect gameplay. In every company.

Giving the same amount of weight/time to an unimportant issue, as an important issue, is a recipe for losing money.

I’ve done software development for a few major companies and many of them take their software seriously in this manner. It’s a shame that more don’t.

3 Likes

I’d say text issues in non video game software are a much larger issue than text issues being referenced here. There text is important and vital. Here it isn’t.

Blizzard is a C-tier developer these days. You shouldn’t expect too much from them, especially after they literally canned their QA department. It also doesn’t help that this patch was obviously rushed out the door to compete with FFXIV.

4 Likes

Was it actually shown that their QA Dept was canned? I don’t remember that listing in the breakdown of layoffs.

Just checked, for Blizzard as a whole company, across all games. They lost 11 QA members.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/blizzard-layoffs

Maybe we need some proof readers hired for these “claims”.

Don’t think they’ve had a QA department for a few expansions now. If they do, they’re clearly being paid too much.

1 Like

Yep. And they also don’t listen to bug feedback from their betas/PTR. It’s painfully obvious that Blizzard is no longer the great developer they once were.

3 Likes

define “these days”?
…because the literacy levels dropped through the floor in Cata.
let’s not pretend this is a bfa issue.

2 Likes

True, but there are people who still believe that Blizzard is the AAA dev they once were. It doesn’t help that even though BFA has been universally panned, people are saying they’re “quitting until Classic” while being too dumb to realize that Blizzard doesn’t care if you’re playing Classic instead, as long as they keep getting their money.

Nothing is ever going to change and the good days of Blizzard are sadly just a fading memory at this point.

1 Like

You do realize that 11 full-time QA members is a lot, right? Just 2-3 extra, dedicated QA people on WoW alone would make a huge difference. It would take one person a day to proofread the quest text from the new patch.

2 Likes