"Why are Night elf Fans so Angry"

Yeah, this is the sad part. On alliance you will basically be going from a human starting area too a purely human questing area in BfA, you barely interact with non humans, and the only mounts you get from those rep vendors are horses. They essentially are just trying to remove all identity from the non human races and just kind of have them as supporting cast members.

I’m trying to remember if you interact with a single non human character in BfA questing. I’m guessing just because it’s easier to write for only humans.

Yeah the new player experience removes any reference to the burning.

But this isn’t surprising since they have been trying too sweep it under the rug, and only occasionally allude to it.

2 Likes

You do quite a few errands for Tortollans, but of course, they’re not playable.

1 Like

Its as if the pre-expansion events happened and then we went and did something else unrelated.

I liked that version of him too, just he had no business calling shots for the entire Alliance. Blizzard letting him speak for the Alliance and start a war as early as Wrath was a jump the shark moment that showed us they had no clue what to do with the faction except copy the Horde.

8 Likes

At least it was a believable and in-character response to the situation. His backstory being a direct ripoff of Thrall’s was the thing I liked least about him, though.

3 Likes

The Alliance is heavily into tradition, class systems, closeted racism, and monarchies. Ultraconservative no question.

The Horde is technically more tolerant, but has its own races issues as well as runaway capitalism. Some races are very traditional, but they keep it to themselves. I’d say they are left-leaning in the traditional sense of the word like Europe does, not using the joke system Americans use.

1 Like

Yes, and that could have been a great story full of inter-faction drama as a upstart causes some faction tension. Instead Blizzard had everyone except Jaina shut up and submit to their new God-Emperor.

5 Likes

I have played through the Alliance starting areas in Classic and Retail, and the Alliance is the exact opposite. It’s the happy funtime rainbow Alliance that leaves noone behind, and even if the villains seem to have a point initially, they are proven wrong shortly afterwards.

I’ve never looked at Orgrimmar and thought “Hey, this reminds me of Sweden’s left-wing policies.”.

2 Likes

Jaina cries and calls Varian ‘her king’ in the Allaince version of Deathbringer Saurfang fight.
HE’S
NOT
YOUR
KING
YOU
ARE
A
SOVREIGN
RULER
OF
YOUR
OWN
NATION
AND
EVEN
IF
YOU
WEREN’T
YOU’RE
KUL TIRAN/DALARANI
NOT
A
STORMWINDER
!!!

21 Likes

It would be nice if the alliance leaders realized they were the actual leaders of their own nations instead of beholden to the whims of whoever sits on the stormwind throne. That would require blizzard to realize the alliance is more than just stormwind humans though so that won’t happen.

15 Likes

Exactly! The game makes you do things revolving around the wishes of the human king as if we’re supposed to take orders from him. A slight change in the quest text would work wonders. Alliance is not an empire where we all bend the knee to our supreme ruler.
Like for example in BfA when Tyrande goes to Anduin for help. I loved how she gave that brat the finger and walked away. That filled me with pride and joy, also made me hopeful the writing could change but we all know how that ended up. In that same quest line we meet up with Shandris and Maiev but that scene was written as if Anduin gave us permission to go fight for Night Elves. I AM A FREAKING NIGHT ELF and I don’t care what he thinks. If my High Priestess is calling for reinforcements of course I’m gonna answer her call.
That is pretty much the core problem when writing Alliance stories. We need to have each nation feel Independent from one another.

10 Likes

Blizzard: In the Horde, everyone has to obey the Warchief, and that’s bad!
Also Blizzard: In the Alliance, everyone has to obey the High King, and that’s good!

23 Likes

Wrathion even calls Varian “your king.” That’s not how an “alliance” works, child.

Like, excuse me?! The last time we Kaldorei had a monarch, BAD THINGS HAPPENED!!! I could care less what some jumped up ape on a throne thinks.

6 Likes

That is a stupid take. Varian tried the peaceful solution, TWICE, and he got kidnapped the first time and nearly had his son assasinated the second time.

1 Like

No it’s not. Varian is a glorified ape on steroids. Dudes a toxic man child that I wish had his neck snapped by a orc the moment he opened his mouth.

Varian represents everything that is wrong with the alliance

3 Likes

People need to stop throwing terms around without knowing what they mean.

What is wrong with the Alliance is Andiun and Jaina and their passive attitude towards the existential threat that is the Horde.

Yeah I get the story was wrong to make Varian become the king of everbody because in MoP Blizzard thought what the Alliance needed was a blue warchief. But Varian and Genn were the very first characters to actually behave logically towards the Horde.
Now we have Tyrande and… kind of Jaina? Before she relapsed.

As far as the Alliance should be concerned, the Horde are pack of hostile savage monsters that are out to kill them. And the Horde has done nothing but reinforce that misconception.

4 Likes

Sadly, as written, it’s repeatedly shown to NOT be a misconception, to the frustration of Horde and Alliance players alike.

17 Likes

Unfortunately, that true and characters like Varian recognizing that fact makes more sense than someone being a… man child? Wouldn’t it be more childish to think like Andiun?

2 Likes

But Anduin says the Horde can change, so they can.

That’s true, when I think of man-children i think of Meme Anduin and people who play Gnomes.

1 Like