Why are most people going to a PvP server? ⚔

I’ll be on a pve realm, so don’t worry they’ll be empty or unsupported. They were popular way back when, and I see no reason why they won’t be again.

3 Likes

I could just as easily say vanilla wpvp is brain dead and boring af. Yay… i got ganked while fighting a mob, so exciting…

2 Likes

I quite like it. Sure I’ll PvP, but I like my PvE and my PvE separate. I want to choose when I get killed. If I want to just quest and hunt rares in Ashenvale, I want to do it without a level 60 killing me every time I try and tag a quest mob. I want to do PvP when I’m ready and willing, in BGs or by doing /pvp. PvP realms force it on you, so I’ll be going PvE.

1 Like

Getting ganked, camped etc. usually teaches a player to be more mindful of their surroundings. If you fly in to a contested zone and world defense is blowing up you know the other side is fighting nearby for example. If you come around the bend in the road and see skeletons of your faction all around there’s probably danger nearby.

There’s ways of moving around that minimizes your chances of getting attacked even if you are not a stealth unit.

It comes to this. Do you want to have the threat and, for some the thrill, of the chance of an attack by the enemy faction around every corner while questing.

Or do you wish to happily quest at your leisure, being able to do what you want when you want largely in the game world with the only danger coming from the wildlife. And still enjoying pvp occasionally on your terms.

It comes to that. Pvp players generally speaking, feel that a pvp server provides more meaningful progression and full immersion.

Pve players feel that playing on a pvp server isn’t necessary to achieve progression and full immersion. And pve players can still engage in tons of consensual pvp.

Immersion is subjective, progression isn’t. And progression is exactly the same on a pve server as it is on a pvp server.

1 Like

This is all good and nice but it’s not reality. The reality is as soon as you cross the border between Darkshore, into Ashenvale, in your sweet low levels, a level 60 will kill and corpse camp you for the next few hours unless you log out and do something else xD. It soon becomes tiresome.

If it’s fair PvP fair enough, but being ganked by someone 40 levels above you repeatedly isn’t PvP.

Actually the other guy raises a good point, if someone has time, I don’t sorry, were world first more common on PvP or PvE servers?

1 Like

I’m rolling PVE mainly because I’ve already done the PvP server thing and while I loved it I just don’t have the time to play that I had 14 years ago. I just want to login and do my thing.

1 Like

Absolutely and most people who plan on rolling PvE are in the same boat.

For me personally I would rather PvP in a battleground. I like keeping the two seperate. Out in the world is not the place for PvP (in my opinion) so this is why I am rolling PvE.

2 Likes

No offence, but it wasn’t even close. By far the majority of servers were (and still are) PvE.

4 Likes

Indeed, I wish i could find the article but it was something like 60% pve 40% pvp in vanilla. Despite yes many of the top guilds being on pvp realms.

2 Likes

I think its funny peoples comments on here, PvE servers are awesome community of players, just because we schedule our world PVP (Flag Up) vis running around being trolls ganking lowbies that are attempting to enjoy the game.
Yes PvP servers are fun(I have leveled on both types over past 14+yrs) for those who enjoy looking over their shoulders 24/7
But on PvE you have the choice to zone out on grinding out a Quest or some mobs or Flag up and kill people. It just seems like every PvP hardcore player doesn’t understand that players can “Flag up” at any time on PvE server and taunt others to fight or just Que for a BG, those of us that do play on PvE servers just like the ability to have a choice.

2 Likes

This is it totally. It’s always the PvP players taunting the PvE player base with accusations of “care bear”, “git gud” etc. It’s never the other way around. That gives you insight into the differences between the two communities as well.

I’m pretty sure I’ll be rolling PvE for that reason.

4 Likes

Couldn’t have said it better myself. +1

2 Likes

they are desperate for gank fodder and think pve players are too passive to be good at pvp

5 Likes

Yeah… there’s a bunch of bravado, and chest beating competitiveness over it all as well, which I get. I played competitive sports for years and honestly it’s the same thing (with perhaps less honor and sportsmanship, as well as all the toxicity that can come with the anonymity of online).

For those who enjoy PvE it’s a preference for co-operative play, which is the diametrical opposite of what most often motivates PvP.

2 Likes

Progression on a pve server is technically the same as on a pvp server, but on a pvp server you can argue that progression carry’s more weight and feels more meaningful because of the challenges of a pvp server.

Pvp servers are not this constant gank fest. When you do get ganked and camped, again, most players quickly learn to move more carefully around contested areas as a result.

1 Like

Blizzard thought so much of PVP servers that they recently converted them all to PVE. The idea that more players were on PVP servers than PVE, from the beginning, is simply wrong.

5 Likes

Yeah I was thinking that. I was sure in my mind that Nordrassil EU, my first every server in 04/05 whenever it was was PvP and then after a break at some point I came back and it and a load of others were changed to PvE.

I still think it would be interesting to see 1.12 raid progression based on top servers and if progression was better on whichever type. I wouldn’t know to look mind you.

Right and whether that carries more weight or not is subjective. Either way the progression is the same.

I still have yet to hear what you can do on a pvp server you can’t do on a pve server. Hell on a pve server i can flag myself and guess what same as on a pvp server.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure I’ve read that Blizzard didn’t even want PvP servers at first, and they decided to add them at the last minute with the caveat that they basically just weren’t going to deal with all the baggage that comes with them.

3 Likes