Why are be being forced to choose what era to play in?

the result is the same as deletion

That’s not how that works lol. Also the fact that you think how it worked on private servers is how it will work on Blizzard servers is hilarious. Blizzard has a significantly more complicated system (obvious to anyone with a brain). So its clearly not that simple.

oh really? care to enlighten me?

Its one server with no backend systems like the anti-cheat, battle.net, ect versus 50 servers with a myriad of backend systems. You really, truly think they can open a .txt file and just ctrl c + ctrl v “Applejakx.exe” from the stalagg.vanilla folder to the stalagg.tbc folder? Come on, you cant be that stupid

They literally said in the lead up to classic that their BIGGEST CHALLENGE was getting the private server vanilla code to work on their systems. So that should tell you whatever worked on a private server is not going to work on the official servers.

not a txt file, a .db file. these are accessed through mysql or other db manager. its really complicated at first but really its like networking and excel sheets combined but at the end of the day its just a bunch of drop down menus and rows of names with different modifiers

yeah because 7.3.5 legion client is entirely new c++ stuff that is completely incompatible with the 2006 client and they had to manually enter all data points and rigorously test to ensure compatibility

Stop arguing semantics with people and dodging the actual arugment. I obviously know its a not a txt file. My point is that its a lot more complicated that you are making it out to be and there are going to be issues that come up that Blizzard doesn’t want to deal with.

1 Like

Using a process that worked on a private server immediately invalidates it as a process that will work on the official servers.

1 Like

That’s not how THAT works…

I’m not going to waste time sitting here explaining basic programming to you. It can’t be done the way you are suggesting.

Period.

semantics are important when we are dealing with such a specific issue

hmmm

it could be, youre right

fair point

not true

I don’t even know how to respond to you anymore.

You realize I was being facetious right?

And yes, any technical process that worked on a private server WILL NOT WORK on blizzard servers. They had to rewrite the code to work on their servers. You said that yourself.

1 Like

the name is irrelevant anyway. its just for consistency, since everyone going to tbc from classic, will presumably be put on the same servers together. iow, when people on whitemane decide to go to tbc, they will all end up on the same server together. append whatever name ya want -whitemane2 or whiteman-tbc, or whatever. the name is there to show you are arriving on the same server together, from the server you were on. i suppose the big issue would be consolidating from different servers on tbc .

Classic and TBC will be ENTIRELY separate games just like Classic and Shadowlands are.

It’s going to require it’s own download/client and all.

Many things will work differently including items and such. There’s no reason to think it’d be as simple as just choosing which “clone” to play in classic or TBC through a single client.

That isn’t going to happen.

Everyone is going to have to make a choice. Do you take your char to TBC or leave it in classic?

you talking to me?

Then why go on about it if it’s irrelevant?

Also, why does it need to be consistent? Just to make people like Joyson not have a hissy fit about “losing” a server they never owned in the first place?

“Oh, it’s ok, what if we let you have the same name as them so you feel better about it?”

That’s like a parent trying to “bargain” with a petulant child. This is where the term “snowflake” gets its traction.

I definitely agree that they are two entirely different games.

It is starting to make more sense. I listen better, when people aren’t screaming in my ear about all of the negative things about who I am as a person :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

The whole Copy & Paste thing can still be done even with this. But, I get it. “Resources” and all :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Maybe not for BC :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I decided to change my mind and keep my Classic Toons, Classic and just start “fresh” in BC. I was going over, in my head, what I like about BC, and there’s not much about BC, that I do like LOL So, I’d rather keep my progress in Classic and treat BC as a different Game and identify whatever progress I have in BC as that game’s progress. I’m good with “being behind”.

i was just explaining that the name is just text. text is not the actual name the server engine recognizes, rather the programmable address of the server is. and if its in its own folder on the cloud, it wont even know the other server names exist. it runs codes you tell it to run and text just makes it easier for the programmer to separate the data into subfolders.

And I was trying to explain to you that it’s NOT but you kept insisting otherwise.

So again it doesn’t work like that.

interesting. i’m trying to imagine how a server name in a different sub folder of a different folder, would have anything to do with a sub folder of another folder unless instructed to do so. i’m confused. not surprising lol