Why are be being forced to choose what era to play in?

oh true, but the idea was to keep both versions of the game vital

character.db
copy
paste

BECAUSE YOU DON’T OWN YOU SERVER.

Good grief, you called me insane?

Blizz can tell you to switch servers or shut yours down entirely ANY TIME THEY WANT. They have that right. THEY OWN THE SERVERS.

Copies are not the way period. Make your peace with the WOW GOD.

#nocopies

Honestly? I’m just happy they are doing it this way just to piss off Joyson.

Blizz, feel free to take any other ideas Joyson has and do the complete opposite. You have my approval. The Dude is insane.

4 Likes

at the cost of changing the game? not worth IMO

I never said they didnt

correct. all i’m saying is you share same server names so people from your server on vanilla, will be on your same server on tbc. and both versions of the game can interact via the game’s chat interfaces, such as the various channels for lfg, general, trade.

Exactly. He’s not worth listening to anymore. He’s like Ben Shapiro, he’ll take a fallacious argument and hammer it down until you are so frustrated you don’t want to deal with him anymore.

I now have him ignored.

He’s getting a transfer to a new server, but he thinks he “owns” his current one, and he doesn’t.

2 Likes

lol and you call my argument fallacious

adjective

1. based on a mistaken belief.

so does my ex gf lol welcome to the club baybee lol

Again… doesn’t work like that. You can’t share the server, physically or even “in name”.

Classic only folks have to be on an entirely new server (under the plan they are implementing) in order for them to continue playing Classic.

The ruleset for Classic and TBC(Classic) are entirely different. They can’t exist in the same space.

1 Like

Your Ex and everyone else in this entire thread would get along so well.

2 Likes

Rofl. I’m not a software engineer but come on.

There will absolutely need to be resources devoted to this. A LOT of resources. There are a myriad of small details that will need to be considered. And this will undoubtedly generate a ton of support tickets for things that went wrong. Again, Blizzard is not known for doing things smoothly. Name the last time something big like a mass character copy went smoothly with no issues. I’ll give you the answer, its never happened.

That is even considering the fact that its not a 1:1 copy. There aren’t going to be nearly as many servers for legacy vanilla, there are like 50 vanilla servers right now (im at work Im not sure of this number but I think its at least 40). That is probably going down to like 10. Thats a huge issue that they don’t want to deal with. Solution is to try and nudge players toward TBC.

3 Likes

The verbiage is COMPLETELY different, for starters.

Transfer/Advance vs. Delete

…but I’m not going to teach you how to read English in this thread.

NOTHING is being deleted. You either choose to keep your progress in Forever Vanilla…or you choose to go to TBC. You can’t have both. Or as I’m sure as you have said to many others during Vanilla’s life-cycle…

Re-roll, scrub.

4 Likes

Blizzard may drop the ball on bots, and cracking down on gold buyers and sellers but they are doing the right choice in

I saw this coming and i knew Joyson was going to kick and scream and cry murder on forum… wipe your armor the tears are rusting it.

2 Likes

okay if its a separate game it can have the same server name, cause the name is just text, the programming parts are separate. okay they are already doing this because you get to go with your mates on classic, to the same server on tbc, but maybe not the same server name. so my suggestion was to retain the name and then tie classic and tbc together via chat channels. they can do this. you can already do a variant of it on retail via cross realm stuff

Can you find anywhere in the server lists of Retail and Classic where they have the same name?

They can’t do that with Classic and TBC either.

Holy cow, there are some really daft people here.
I am in no way holding any ill will against my guild or anyone for that matter for choosing to play TBC. You’d have to be pretty dense to get that from my post.
My entire position is that I would like to remain playing classic on this character (The version of the game I enjoy the most) while also taking said character (whose achievements aren’t entirely his own) along to TBC with the rest of the guild.

The way it is currently worded has lead me to believe this is impossible and it really shouldn’t be when there is already a system in place that would make this problem irrelevant.

1 Like

you dont even have to understand how software works to do this. when the private server folks were reverse engineering blizzard servers, they found out the game stores character data in a single spreadsheet like file and its constantly being updated. just copy that file and paste it in the tbc directory.

sure they can. for example:

[this is a link]<----text. the actual programmable part, the address, is google.com
[this is a link]<----text. the address is yahoo.com

both are called “this is a link” but programmatically, go to different servers

1 Like