Whispers defaulting to realId chat when not friends

So for a couple of my guild members, when I try to whisper them, it goes to the realId chat instead of the in game chat. These members are not on my realid friends list, and to them it shows up as some random person chatting to them that they cannot respond to. In addition it shows them in blizzard launcher socal tab as a friend of mine but offline.

This has now happened with 2 different people, and only happens when they are on specific toons. Anyone have an idea at what could be causing this? I’ve opened a ticket before, but that didn’t solve anything

First to try is /resetchat

If that doesn’t work, do a full UI reset.

1 Like

chat reset no dice, full interface reset no dice. Interestingly enough, if they whisper me and I do the quick reply with the R key, it goes to the whisper chat. If I try to do /w name though, goes to realid chat

are you using any chat addons?

nope, no chat addons. And when I did the reset to test, I had no addons installed.

Does your friend’s character name share the same RealID/BattleNet Name?

1 Like

That is odd. Are you certain you don’t have them as BattleTag friends? Do they see you in theirs?

Have you tried removing them from your social tab?

In both cases, neither are in my realid friend’s list, and as far as I’m aware, they have never added me. when I did notice the chat in the social tab, I did delete it, but as soon as I was back in game and tried to whisper, it defaulted to the blue text of the realid chat. The second one, today, is able to chat with me through this, but neither of us are on each others realid friends

This sounds awfully familliar to this thread…

Have you tried the solution they offered?

apparently changing my character didn’t change my notifications. There were some suggestions on https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/whispers-to-one-person-showing-up-in-blue-not-on-realid/169437/6 that I posted 2 months ago when it happened the first time. I’ll try the add/remove on realid and see if it has any success.

As I said on the other forum post, I did find out that I am able to whisper by right clicking their name in the guild community chat and selecting whisper. The issue only stems from typing /w name for these 2 specific people.

no dice on adding then removing the battlenet friend. Think its time to report this as a bug.

A thought has occurred to me and could be the cause of the bug. I confirmed with both people and both of them have their battlenetId the same as their in character name. This might be the cause of the bug

1 Like

Thundertotem did ask if that was the case about two hours ago, but I’d definitely recommend submitting a report on that one. Definitely weird.

1 Like

Yeah looking back at what Thundertotem posted, I think he hit it on the nail. I misread what he wrote as did they share a name similar to another on my own realid friends list, not if the character shared a name with their own realid.

1 Like