Whispers to one person showing up in blue not on RealId

So trying to diagnose a minor, but annoying bug. When I’m whispering one person in my guild, for some reason the chat is being marked as a blizzard whisper, and even when I go out to the blizzard app, my whispers to them are showing up in my Social tab. As far as I can tell, I don’t have them saved to my realid friends, or have him listed in my character friends. Also, if they are replying to those whispers, I’m not seeing them at all. Any idea what could be the cause?

I’m having the same issue. I get whispered and it shows up as “W from” in blue with no name and no way for me to reply to them. Pressing R doesn’t even work.

Any solution to this would be nice.

Hey all,

Typically when I see issues like this, they are caused by corrupted game files / settings. Please complete all 3 of these steps to verify and resolve the issue:

1. Reset the Interface Files

2. Reset the game settings

3. Login to a character that’s affected by the issue, then type /resetchat into the normal chat menu then hit enter (just like an emote!)

Let us know if this works for you!

Had this happen to me recently, found out via other means who that person was. We both ran repairs, both came back clean. We both reset the interface (WTF folder, etc…) and even removed all AddOns and no change. They were still able to whisper me, the text came thru as a RealID light blue with no name attached. My whispers to them were normal.

So, we did the whole exchange RealIDs and it appeared to fix the issue, their name now shows up normally via RealID chat and normal whispers and both properly colored. We then both removed the RealID and whispers went back to normal and didn’t show up as “no name and light blue”.

So, not convinced it was a Client issue but somewhere along the way some bit was flipped incorrectly and exchanging the RealID forced new setting to be written and seems to have corrected the problem.

GL!

Does this work around work for you - if you don’t mind adding them as a battletag friend temporarily? If so, I believe you’re looking at a bug. I’d report that on the bug report forums instead.

Edit: posted in the wrong chat, this was my own necro