When did the community opinion on Calia change?

I want to steal this and post it EVERYWHERE.

Or maybe you’re not just as representative as you think you are, especially given that 90 percent of the playerbase don’t give a copper about the story , much less the Menethil soap opera that some folks keep trying to manufacture.

3 Likes

Light-raised undead and all schools of magic being capable of necromancy was and remains a profoundly stupid addition to the lore. Calia’s the poster-child of that idea.

Also her “Bright Lady” Sylvanas inversion is tedious. Additionally, I don’t like her look. She looks more like she’s made of marble, like a titan keeper, than any kind of undead.

2/10 would not res again.

11 Likes

I think people only hate the whole The light and other cosmic forces can raise the dead thing is solely due to Blizz wanting to do a inverse with Calia and make her The bestest girl who can turn those bad boy forsaken into the bestest bois ever

It’s solely based on how dumb Calia is as a character and I haven’t seen anything to disprove that

Nobody really seemed to care during WoD when the Shadowmoon were using void magic to raise undead after all.

10 Likes

Here’s a fun little thought that has no consequence, but is relevant:

What does Calia lack that most Forsaken undead have, visually?

Bones.

What nation had its very own graphical change to the WoW client, and what was the change?

China, and they removed all depictions of bones.

What is the primary tint of Calia’s appearance?

White.

What color is associated with death in Chinese culture?

White!

But then most Forsaken characters dont resemble the actual player models. Ah well.

6 Likes

I actually don’t disagree with this.
In my opinion Lilian was a lot cooler when she was a rogue agent (no pun intended) that was only loosely affiliated with the rest of the Forsaken at best and the Forsaken were happy to leave it that way because she was doing a great job wreaking havoc on the Scourge and Scarlet Crusade for them.

EDIT: Removed a bunch of unnecessary stuff.

14 Likes

i mean even voss was undeveloped, she went from hating the forsaken to joining them with no explanation and now she just drops the hardest pro forsaken rhetoric i’v ever seen

8 Likes

She talked back to the Weaver, which coordinates a vast web of spies and assassins, Voss got some cojones.

5 Likes

Remember how it keeps being mentioned that no one writer at Blizzard controls the fate of any character on their own?

Voss is another example of this. She was created to show that the Forsaken could make their own notable characters, and the original author’s intent was that she get away from the Forsaken to get out from under Sylvanas’ vice grip on Forsaken representation. The author clearly believed that Voss wouldn’t see any role standing in Sylvanas’ shadow, so they wrote her to be an independent agent.

Now we fast forward an expansion or two…

And it’s clear that the Forsaken don’t have any characters of note that make an appearance for longer than a single questline. None save Sylvanas and her lover Nathanos represent the Forsaken anywhere outside of the Glades. Desperate to fill the bench since the Creative Lead at the time expressed his desire to remove Sylvanas from the Horde, the writers at the time picked an assortment of Forsaken characters to backfill the bench and become the Desolate Council which would run the Forsaken state while Sylvanas guffawed on the Warchief Throne.

Of these characters, Voss was thrown in because her questline in Tirisfal was about a third of the updated Cataclysm storyline for the zone, along with her appearance in Scholomace.

She’s basically the Forsaken version of Garona, the Orc Rogue who was also a free-agent until suddenly showing up in the Horde’s ranks in time for BFA inexplicably.

12 Likes

I’m convinced that Lillian Voss has been the pet character of at least two different writers over the years, possibly three. That’s the only way I can explain her complete change of personality between MoP and BfA. Especially since the end of MoP Scholomance implied that she died.

They were shoving a lot of neutral characters into the Horde at that time. Gazlowe was put in around then as well. For a while, they even seemed to be flirting with the idea of trying to convince Horde players that Valeera Sanguinaar was Horde.

6 Likes

FWIW, Voss was pretty popular among some of the forsaken playerbase when she was introduced in the Scholo revamp, a lot more than Calia ever was.

1 Like

Wasn’t Voss introduced in Forsaken leveling revamp with The Cataclysm? Her appearance in Pandaria Scholomance was a return. Then she loudly announced that she was, in fact, dying.

Then she came back again in BFA. Turns out she was fine. Dumb.

2 Likes

Most people i talked to didn’t really like voss, cause she was infact not a forsaken

1 Like

I love voss, and she’s a great character that grows to become forsaken, literally by the faction itself despite fighting for its ideals.

People just like. Hate the idea of character growth, so they refuse to see her as anything other than level 1 “aaaa i hate undead” Voss.

Voss is the epitome of ‘actions speak louder than words.’

She literally never had an arc though, she is in one character state and then another, we don’t see her grow we just see her bounce from 1 mindset to the diametrically opposed one, I would also say she never fought for the ideals of the faction she just killed necromancers, which was very against the faction

5 Likes

Unless there’s some missing suplimental material I don’t know about, she “dies” in MoP an undead hating hunter of necromancers and re-emerges as Lilian: Agent of the Forsaken in BfA.

As I recall she had a role in the rogue order hall, but I can’t really recall her characterization there.

Also didn’t she have some kind of unique shadow magic power in her initial introduction storyline in Cataclysm? What happened to that.

She still has it, its never explained

10 Likes

As far as embodying forsaken ideals, yes. She does. Even if those very traits ironically put her at odds with the forsaken.

She’s strong willed, independent and struggles with self-loathing but ultimately finds her existence worth-while.

I think Calia was fine as a character, it’s forcing her into Forsaken leadership that infuriated the Forsaken and Horde playerbase because it wasn’t something earned and she seems like a more Alliance-aligned character that doesn’t have business being involved in the Horde’s internal affairs to begin with.

I always thought she could’ve worked fine as an ambassador and spending her time restoring and healing Tirisfal Glades and the Plaguelands as a sort of her a character arc to try to atone for her brother’s mistakes, and working closely with Alonsus Faol. Could even add some mystery by having rumors of a Pallid Lady healing others. But speedrunning her into their leadership just soured her character and it’s one of those things where people probably feel too fed up to care anymore.

10 Likes

Adding more lightforged undead made her feel less sue with her special powers I find