When did the community opinion on Calia change?

Did they add more? The ones in the Hollowfell priory look pretty conventional, as far as undead go.

Where’s the flawless alabaster skin and white latex thigh-highs?

Maybe 70% of Calia’s problem is her model. If she didn’t look like a perfect marbel statue; if she actually looked undead, I feel like most people wouldn’t have rejected her. Looking monsterous is a large part of why The Forsaken were, well, forsaken. The living feared them and pushed them away.

What happened to Calia isn’t a curse it was more like apotheosis. Woe is me, beautiful AND immortal? What am I if not a slave to this torment.

10 Likes

I vividly remember walking into Zuldazar, seeing Valeera and thinking “What the f* is she doing here?”

The discrepancy from the rest of the forsaken is so strong that every time I see her amidst the actual forsakens I have whiplash

13 Likes

She showed up in the Garrison Inn in WoD and the Rogue Order Hall in Legion

3 Likes

What’s odd is the Arathi Holy Undead look jacked tf up. More ghoulish than your average Forsaken by a pretty considerable margin.

8 Likes

The Sacred Flame is doin’ quite a number on those fresh corpses if they resurrect lookin’ like that. Hell, Derek Proudmoore was at the bottom of the sea for YEARS and rose not even half as bad, LOL.

Side note: How Metal would it have been if they were raised all charred and horrible? Now THAT’s a Lightforged undead that I’d want to play.

4 Likes

Cause they’re amateurs and don’t have our refined skill set.

8 Likes

Calia sucks and should be removed by force.

Like hell I would, I do not like her either.

Calia was raised by Faol, Anduin and the Naaru Saa’ra, and the interesting thing there is Saa’ra was a Void beast named Saraka the Lighteater who you purify early in the Conclave questline.

So maybe the secret sauce for Calia’s glow up is you need some Light that used to be Void.

I don’t remember anyone caring that AU Gul’dan used Fel magic to make an undead Mannoroth, either.

3 Likes

Yeah. Sometimes people let their dislike of a particular NPC or story beat ruin everything else.

1 Like

IDK if it changed, personally, I still dislike Calia.

I always thought it was just regular necromancy and it was the fact that he was a pitlord that was making him all felfire-y. Gul’dan nor any other warlock or demon are locked to just Fel magic. They can do whatever kind of magic they like. Warlocks and demons just default to Fel because it’s what they’re best at and it’s easily the most efficient type of magic if your objective is making an alive person not stay that way.
Literally no one would use Fel magic if it wasn’t the absolute best at killing :poop: because that’s what offsets the fact that it is also easily the most corrosive to your soul well except the Void which Warlocks also use.
Honestly the only difference between a Mage and Warlock canonically speaking is that Warlocks are effing crazy and are almost all cutting their lives short with their reckless pursuit of greater power.

Wait what were we talking about? Oh right. No I don’t think Mannoroth was raised with the Fel.

1 Like

i don’t mean to be that dude, but did you play thru the fight? the spires from which gul’dan’s warlocks are channeling their powers are called fel spires, he pulls fel energy from fel iron summoners… it’s not, like, subtle which flavor of gatorade dude is drinking to power his magic during that ritual

Calia exists to be palatable to alliance players. The horde playerbase wasn’t a consideration.

6 Likes

Oh seriously? I only did that raid once on Raid Finder. I only remembered 3spooky Mannoroth.

2 Likes

I suppose Calia was a weird elephant in the room for the writing team. Given that they had a living heir to the throne of Lordaeron who wasn’t Forsaken and didn’t interact much with the Horde (outside of the champion and Priest Hall). I guess the solution was to make her a “liminal” undead to bridge both factions, but the origin was very contrived with odd lore implications. Almost gives me some Med’an vibes.

Her sparse appearances since BFA and not being the de facto leader (even though councils are a little overused in Wow) are probably what helps mitigate the backlash.

I am not sure what they could do with her moving forward unless they lean into her becoming a more religious figure within the Forsaken. Yet that would also take away from lore development for the Cult of the Forgotten Shadow. And I don’t want her to become a light/shadow “balance” priest.

Idk, maybe the council’s diplomatic arm to the Alliance? That seems like it could keep her in a sweet spot.

1 Like

Being diplomatic to the alliance is about all she is good for, she can’t be religious cause the forsaken already have a religion that i’d rather see get screentime over the faith the of the living

9 Likes

Didn’t Golden say something on twitter about begging for her and being allowed to use her or something like that?

She fits in the usual Golden self insert role, thats for sure

12 Likes

I agree. I think her story would overshadow the Cult of the Forgotten Shadow.