When did the community opinion on Calia change?

After the Before the Storm she was received extremely poorly. After BfA she had effectively become the most hated character since Med’an.
Now I’m seeing people all over the place willing to stand up and defend her despite her intrusiveness and bad character writing only getting worse.
Did Blizzard just finally wear the community down? Or did the people who hate her type of character just jump ship when they saw the way WoW was going leaving behind the minority who actually liked her?

Either way, I still hate her with a fiery passion. They don’t even try to make her fit into the story she intruded on. At least make her do SOMETHING Forsaken-y. Cannibalize a corpse or something, she can use a knife and fork if she has to.

4 Likes

Nah the forsaken fanbase still pretty much across the board hates her.

39 Likes

Yeah the people who are affected the most by her still hate her. But the community as a whole appears to have softened on her.

I remember there was a time when almost everyone hated her. Not just the Forsaken fans.

Voss confirming why Calia is hated by most Horde players

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GXY1dnJbQAAqsmI?format=png&name=900x900

18 Likes

I think the initial wave of hatred came when she was first brought to prominence as a Forsaken character and it was perceived that they were trying to awkwardly hamfist her into the narrative as a Sylvanas replacement. (The Pallid Lady? Huh?)

Coupled with the fact that they basically used dialogue between her and Margrave Sin’dane during the reclamation of Lordaeron to stare at the playerbase like ‘SEE? IT DOESN’T MATTER THAT SHE’S A LIGHTFORGED UNDEAD OR WHATEVER. SHE’S STILL FORSAKEN.’ Basically handwaving a lot of the history/struggle and characterization of what makes them ‘Forsaken’ in the first place.

Whether it was always intended or if they did it from community backlash, it seemed like her involvement in a lot of Forsaken-centric storylines was more innocuous than everyone anticipated, and it kind’ve tempered the especially vocal Calia opposition, with her most recently prominent appearance as a liaison for the Forsaken to help with Gilneas’ reclamation.

TLDR: I think the opinion is still VERY poor but it’s probably that there’s less reasons to complain about her because her recent appearances have been pretty sparse.

27 Likes

Yea, i’d say the reason you don’t see the complaints as much is because for the most part Calia is being kept in the corner and only has been wheeled out for one questline

21 Likes

Blizzard made Calia Alliance.

• She’s best friends with all Alliance leaders but Tyrande.
  • She has lived with three (3) different Alliance leaders for a time.
  • She tried to get the Desolate Council to betray the Horde and join the Alliance.
  • Her first act as “Forsaken” was to enable an Alliance spy.
  • Her first act as a member of the Desolate Council was to aid the Alliance.
  • Her second act as a member of the Desolate Council was to aid the Alliance.

Blizzard thinks “wow, the horde has no reason to dislike the Alliance in the story” and then doesn’t grasp that the Horde player finds issue with that specifically and hates her even more for that, ontop of all she’s done.

28 Likes

She still sucks, she’s just not front and center.

Blizzard could have softened the Forsaken post-BFA without introducing a leader that takes an absolute dump on the forsaken story themes.

She makes Baine look like a diehard Horde Patriot.

I think the only people who actually like her are the weird diehard Alliance fans who just like that Horde fans hate her.

20 Likes

I know I still hate her.

18 Likes

Still dislike what they did with her.

Lightborne Undead.
Walking among the Forsaken going, “How do you do, my fellow Forsaken?”

It really feels like Blizzard has short-term amnesia sometimes. They pushed Calia as a Sylvanas replacement and expected what? The playerbase to love her? Why? She’s done nothing except hang out with the Alliance beforehand, and now they’re pushing her onto the Horde?

I’d honestly rather Calia had remained alive and replaced Benedictus as the Archbishop of the Church of the Holy Light. At least then that vacancy would’ve been filled and she’d be out of the picture. Let her preach tolerance and acceptance of the Forsaken and the rest of the Horde from that position.

24 Likes

I don’t think anyone is serious if they post positively about Calia.

I think it is more of a “Ha-Ha” moment for Alliance Partisans. Something to drive a metaphorical screw driver into Horde and Forsaken eyes.

Alliance Partisans : “Oh yeah Calia is the bee’s knees. Long may she reign over Lordaeron…” then they burst into laughter.

Maybe over time, some people put aside their disgust for her, especially if she isn’t on screen. I don’t think that means she is gaining any new fans, just the hate subsides over time.

13 Likes

Is this part of 11.0.5? What prompts her to say that?

1 Like

This point was just reinforced by Blizzard somehow resurrecting Jaina’s brother, Tandred, and making him the Champion of the Pallid Lady and a replacement for Nathanos.

17 Likes

I think the big fear was she was going to replace Sylvanas and cause a big aesthetic change for the Forsaken. But so far the Forsaken are still blasting humans with omincidal goop while laughing maniacally so safe bet that’s not the case.

So now she’s more baffling than threatening. Just sort of there being the Forsaken’s token straightman character.

18 Likes

You’re thinking of Derek Proudmoore. Tandred is captain of the kul’tiran fleet

6 Likes

Oops. You’re right. I meant Derek and not Tandred.

It was just so freaking blatant what they were doing that it utterly disgusted me.

20 Likes

Nobody will ever replace my boy Nathanos. He was the epitome of sass :dracthyr_heart:

11 Likes

Yes it is from the ptr. We know Calia sucks because only alliance fans adore her.

3 Likes

My beef with Calia type of character is that I got the impression that Blizz just wanted to turn the Horde into the Alliances red state… it felt like the Horde was purposely being diminiss the the point of just being a red Transmog to the Alliance or being Alliance in Halloween. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve said since the start that hatred of her is overblown. She’s meh as some new, random, weird writers pet. But it is whatever.

1 Like