When are we getting normal flying?

And you’re wrong… they already announced regular flying will be coming to DF later in the expansion. I’m guessing 10.2.

1 Like

they just sold you a fish to rope you along.

Nope you’re still wrong. Regular flying will be released no matter how it upsets the dragon riding only cult. :woman_facepalming: :rofl:

3 Likes

keep hoping.

it’s coming. just around the corner. just one more month of sub.

d’oh missed this deadline. but soon.

I’m going to have a lot of speculation in this post but I will explain my thinking (so take that for what it’s worth).

I don’t think that Blizzard is going to make many (if any) changes to either flight system… and I don’t think Dragonriding will spill over into the next expansion.

At the core, I don’t think that Blizzard’s stance on original flight has changed. As such, we have been given this new system that eliminates some of the things that they were not fond of about old flight… but the impressive speed of the new system creates a new issue (as it will require larger zones to fly in, or else it makes the world feel small).

Now, if the new system had really packed in the customers and vastly increased subs, then the extra development cost of making larger zones would easily be covered and Dragonriding would probably be here to stay. But most (unofficial, unverified) evidence seems to suggest that it has not had that effect, so beyond DF, it would just be an extra cost without a financial benefit to support Dragonriding.

With all of that in mind, they would probably plan to just scrap the new system as an “expansion feature” and return to the old, time gated system that they don’t really like… so the last thing they would want to do is make it “better” by increasing the speed.

As a side note, it would not surprise me if the last patch zone or two in DF do not allow any sort of flight, as that would soften the blow for Dragonriding’s removal.

It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Don’t need to hope but I will bookmark this so I can come back and laugh more.

I’m not waiting around. I’ve had enough of gated this and gated that. Can’t fly unless you fly what Blizz says you can fly, and only fly.

I cancelled my Sub yesterday. WOW is nothing like it used to be…for me.

6 Likes

Well, in my case, I like Dragonriding but I have no problem to keep playing IF regular flight had the same speed as Dragonriding (at least as an option, I don’t care if it’s an achievement like Pathfinder).
Say, 310 from day 1 and 830 through the achievement 6 months later.

Now, I might stop playing if Dragonriding is taken away and regular flight has the same speed as always (310).

It doesn’t make sense. I honestly don’t see the point.
It’s like being given an Nvidia 4080 and they say “ah no, they’re having too much fun, here, go back to the Commodore 64”.

I will never buy anything from Nvidia again.

You have to think about this:
Dragonflight is the first expansion SINCE MoP where players can fly from day 1.
That’s almost 10 years. 8 if we count since WoD.

They are going to take away Dragonriding and common flight has only 310 speed ?
Yeah right, they’re going to need a miracle if they want me to buy the next expansion if things go that way.

2 Likes

That’s essentially what they did though, when they attempted to kill flight in WoD and put everyone back on ground mounts… so (unfortunately) they have proven in the past that they are capable of this kind of absurd thinking.

Personally, I think that attempting the removal of Dragonriding will be a huge error in thinking, but then we have been down this road before… so who knows?

Almost every way. It can be difficult to land on very narrow places with dragonflying, which is pretty much the one thing I would use slow flying for if it is added.

1 Like

In the next expansion, at the end with a massive pathfinder achievement to get.

Regular flying has one important bonus, it doesnt crash my character when I launch into the air. DF does that often.

Usually a year or so after launch. It coincides with pathfinder IMO.
I’m thinking it’ll be once a new zone is released that can’t have flying and the old set of zones were made redundant so they kind of just enable it at that point.

The movement glitch/crash is so sadly common not even regular flying is safe from it. Nor are players not flying. Freaking Wild Charge (Boomkin), Fel Rush, etc. can trigger it, too. It’s a genuinely annoying issue.

1 Like

i wish they would’ve given the finger to the haters and just kept flying out at WoD…

I’m not sure how well that would have worked out for them.

If you consider the fact that they have gone out of their way to present us with an alternative (dragon riding), it would suggest that their data supports that trying to remove it was ultimately a bad financial decision. I’m more surprised that it took this long to attempt something that approaches a solution.

That said, it’s all probably too little, too late. My entire friends and family group (including myself) left the game after years of play due to the flight changes. It inspired us to try out some other games that we had not considered… and most of that group has never ever returned to WoW (not even for DF).

I would imagine that situations like that were not rare, and that inspiring customers to break the habit has had a long term effect.

A year or so. Next to the last patch is my prediction

I can’t wait until we can use regular flying in the Dragon Isles! The sooner the better as far as I’m concerned. In fact, it would be great if Blizzard would just tell us their intentions now, and tell us if there will be a DF Pathfinder, or if we will just buy flying for DF expansion? It would stop a whole lot of hand-wringing and anxiety for players. It’s mean not to tell us now.

7 Likes

No idea but I will be very sad when we have to revert to slow flight for the next expansion…unless they keep dragon riding outside of the isles.

Normal flying feels dirty and weird now. Like, no physics? That’s just wrong.

Dragonriding>air swimming