When are we getting normal flying?

I don’t like the momentum mechanics or the extra speed. I want to go slowly at a steady altitude and pace. I want to stop mid air to look admire the scenery. I don’t want to go fast. I have totally different priorities with gaming than you do.

I am perfectly capable of dragonriding. Heck, the other day I gave a ride to an older gamer who was stuck at the intro quests because they were upset and couldn’t progress the story. I don’t think it’s cool for those gamers to be left out or made to quit out of frustration, either.

10 Likes

lol.

Post that on an official Blizz page and watch people quit in droves.

4 Likes

why would they quit though?

There are a good chunk of players who are sticking around for the prospect of Normal flying returning.

And not just because they may not like Dragonflying…many have a vast collection of flying mounts they can’t use properly in the isles atm, plus the drakes we have are very generic…and very much the same ride everyone else has.

1 Like

Are you asking why they would quit based on the theoretical requirements you posted?

I dunno.

YES, regular flying can be a more passive or /afk experience. That can be a good thing, sometimes.

But… dragon flying, in addition to being WAY faster, and requiring an active participation, also has ~“stay mounted while Mining”.

I’ve got 40+ guys, and all of them except for 2 have at least one gathering profession.

The `“stay mounted while Mining” is sort of a cool deal, no?

the herb and mining buffs to stay mounted apply to normal mounts too.

I gotta agree, players spent years farming a cool mount, they want flying. The generic 4 colors of dragonflight drakes is not as good.

1 Like

We know the mechanics work in the zones based on corpse recovery, so I imagine it wouldn’t be too hard to introduce.

5 Likes

Id be happy with a few more dragon riding skills.

There are a lot of moving parts in the equation.

As they are now, the two systems are separated by the old “speed versus accuracy” scenario, so the choice you make depends entirely on what is most important to you.

When they eventually allow old flight, they really should not increase its speed, because that would negate the choice of speed versus accuracy. Likewise, if Dragonriding makes it into further expansions (which I highly doubt), they should not decrease its speed… as it would have the same effect.

Personally, I am not a fan of the speed of Dragonriding. I prefer to fly slower and a bit closer to the ground, so that I can see terrain detail a bit better. If I were doing nothing but traveling long distances from point to point, with no allowances for getting side tracked, then Dragonriding would be the way to go… but in almost any other circumstance, I prefer the old, slower flight.

3 Likes

This topic reminds me of this topic:

“When are we getting normal flying?” You’re not.

“I’m excited to see what original owners of the Feldrake will be getting!” Nothing.

This is a personal taste thing (which is great!), but for me, hauling a** close to the ground is fun. Not everyone is going to agree, of course.

1 Like

That makes no sense; you can AFK on your dragon mount sitting on a mountainside.

The whole “but folks will AFK in the air” argument is pointless, anyone can AFK practically anywhere on any mount.

Dragon riding is absolutely faster.

Legacy flying has more utility.

We can have both.

That’s my hill.

7 Likes

I have no way to prove it.
But I am absolutely sure that regular flying with a speed x1000 should be much easier to control than Dragonriding at 830%.

After all during the BETA they were modifying the “gravity” affecting the mount, I really don’t have the right words to describe it.

Most importantly, with regular flight you have the luxury of stopping in the air and looking for the best path. Or the best place to land.
With Dragonriding it’s decisions you have to make in that second and if you get it wrong then you have to regain Vigor or spiral around your target until you find the way.

The bottom line is that all of these arguments come about because of a lack of options.
Dragonriding should have the “Hover” option, even if it has CD.
And regular flight should have 310/830 as options.

After all there are people who like the speed of Dragonriding but not the “effort” it requires.

1 Like

Enjoy flying at 310 like a loser.

Lets hope they keep the ability to dismount people

I do not know if anyone else finds themselves doing this, but when I go back to the old world, I want to press my lift off button.

It doesn’t work though.

2 Likes

lol, your bots are disabled

I like dragon flying, rock climbing, and pretty much everything.

The only issue now is landing into a very laggy Valdrakken.

I’m routinely getting > 1,000ms latency

:dragon: :ocean: :dragon: :ocean::dragon: :ocean:

No they didn’t. Release both and it’s a win win. People that want to dragon ride can and people that want regular flying can and that makes More people happy. Happy people stay subbed longer.

6 Likes