When are we getting normal flying?

That player’s crying has socially redeeming value. When they whine about other people who they want out of their game it is constructive and will result in tens of millions of new players subscribing who would never have considered playing until after the person to whom you are responding drove away the majority of the playerbase.

It must be tough being forced to play a videogame with millions of players against whom she seethes with anger.

3 Likes

Eh regular flying to me just seem extremely dull and pointless now, id rather use flight paths lol.

Dragonriding is just superior in every possible way.
Fast af

1 Like

For some reason some people feel the need to be rude and hostile. Not sure why, they must be fun to be around.

1 Like

There’s a disclaimer on the bottom there’s more info to come and features will evolve.

hopefully never. dragonriding is way better and way more fun.

I mean, we aren’t asking for dragon riding to go away so you’d still be able to enjoy it. I personally don’t want to go fast and I think regular flying is more enjoyable

13 Likes

I hope never.
Unless the mount happens to have the same speed as Dragonriding.

And even if it has the same speed I’ll probably still use Dragonriding because it’s more fun and interactive.

I can only think of using the flying mount to be AFK in the air.

The answer is probably “never.”

Dragonriding is an expansion feature, and Blizzard seems adamant about the idea that you should use only dragonriding in the Dragon Isles. They created the experience that they wanted to create, and they seem happy with that.

They understand that you are unhappy with it, but to make standard flight available would necessarily subvert the reasons they introduced dragonriding in the first place. If we could hover on old flying mounts, we would all do that. It’s convenient and makes things easier to deal with.

Blizzard doesn’t want that. They want to force you to adapt to their expansion, and by refusing to introduce normal flying, they end up succeeding at that. You may complain, but in the end, you’ll either dragonride or quit and they know that.

That’s why they aren’t going to budge.

but i didnt say for it to go away.
Just stated it feels dull, boring and pointless when compared to Dragonriding which literally saves me TONS of time i would lose by afking.

Why not? if there is the option to do either normal flying or dragonriding, what does it hurt to have it in game?

4 Likes

And you’re totally welcome to feel that way and have that experience. It’s just different from my experience and we could both have what we want if they had both flying types in game

5 Likes

It isn’t actually a “success” if they have designed a mandatory feature that deliberately excludes part of their current playerbase who have a variety of disabilities and other impairments that keep them from using it, then lie about bringing back normal flight to string them along and keep them paying for a sub. I would call that a colossal failure.

Losing any players at all by forcing them out of the game at this point is something Blizzard shouldn’t want, given that apparently numbers and participation are down.

12 Likes

This community really is sad. “I hate regular flying so they need to remove it” “I hate mythics, remove those” “lfr isnt real raiding, delete it.” If you dont like something dont do it plain and simple, stop advocating for the removal of things just because it doesnt appeal to you. Games like this are about having lots of options and playing what you find enjoyable.

10 Likes

I think economics will win out and it will eventually appear.

Too many people paid cash for flying mounts that can’t be used in current content… that is eventually going to wear on people.

A possible fix for that is to let old mounts use an adapted form of Dragonriding mechanics, but in the end, making it look polished on all of the various mount styles will probably cost way more than just allowing old school flight (which should already be built in).

And there is still the issue with motion sickness. If there is any evidence that it is costing a significant amount of revenue, that will force a change too.

My personal guess is that they create a no-fly patch zone (maybe a dragon cave complex) and cram all of the best stuff in it, then start allowing old school flight in the previous zones that no one will want to be in anyway.

1 Like

And yet, they clearly aren’t concerned about that. I think the Dragonflight numbers were better than anticipated and I think that makes them feel justified and self-righteous in sticking to their guns.

The disability argument isn’t one they’re concerned about because they have provided reasonable accessibility settings that should mitigate most of the reported vertigo/motion sickness. The people who cannot play even with those options properly configured are likely an extreme minority, and catering to them at the expense of the control exclusive dragonriding gives them over the player experience is likely not seen as worth it.

I’m not telling you that you can’t have normal flying, I’m just answering your question - Blizzard isn’t giving you normal flying. They don’t want to. They want to force you to dragonride, and if you’re the one in 10,000 players who would actually quit over being forced to dragonride, they don’t consider the loss of your subscription to be significant - particularly since their statistical data implies most who quit over something like that will be back if the next expansion doesn’t feature dragonriding.

My guess is still months away unless subs really drop badly.

I’ll admit that it’s possible, but my prediction is that, unfortunately, dragonriding will be scrapped in 11.0 and relegated to the Dragon Isles. “Normal Flying” will be the only option elsewhere, and Dragonriding will be the only option for this expansion’s content.

It will suck if that’s what happens, but I believe that’s how Blizzard will do it, because that’s the sort of road they’ve taken in the past.

Dragonriding really is just a gimmick because our mount collections can never be sensibly converted into that system and we’re left with a fundamental problem if we think about making it a permanent expanding feature going forward.

So I doubt they even bother with it after this expansion.

In World of Warcraft, the ability to fly in the game world was originally introduced in the expansion “The Burning Crusade,” and has been a feature in the game ever since. In the latest expansion, “Shadowlands,” flying was not immediately available at the launch of the expansion, but was added in a patch later on.

As for when regular flying might be added to the game in the future, it’s difficult to say for certain. Blizzard, the developer of World of Warcraft, tends to announce new content and features for the game well in advance, so if there are plans to add regular flying to the game, it’s likely that they will announce it through their official channels. In the meantime, you can keep an eye on the official World of Warcraft website or social media accounts for updates and announcements about new content and features for the game.

I believe this is the most likely scenario. Either they scrap Dragonriding in future expansions, or they nerf the living crap out of it and time gate its release like traditional flight.

I severely doubt that it goes live in the next expansion like it did this one.

1 Like

I love dragonriding but it does kinda cause some lag issues when I go super fast and I would enjoy the regular flying option at some point too.