When are we getting normal flying?

False. Regular flying is not “being removed” at all. We will return to regular flying in 11.0, but we will still only have dragonriding for Dragon Isles. It’s an obvious thing. It’s a mated mechanic around which critical design choices were made. It’s like garrisons on Draenor. You simply have to have them and there’s no opting out. The way to opt out is to not do that expansion.

Eventually, dragonriding will be a feature that is only relevant to one expansion in Chromie Time, and some people will choose to level up in Dragonflight for that reason and because they like the quests. Others will avoid it the way most people avoid Vashj’ir when leveling now.

Going forward, Dragonriding is unlikely to be a thing. Our existing mounts don’t work when applied to that system, and our mount collection is too critical to permanently de-emphasize, so it’s already doomed to remain an expansion feature of Dragonflight.

With that in mind, and knowing that Blizzard already knows they’re not going forward with this system, you can see how unreasonable it is to expect them to allow players to subvert a feature with such a brief lifespan rooted in the heart of this particular expansion. Letting people opt out of Dragonriding in Dragonflight is impractical. It renders irrelevant a critical anchor feature with an already limited scope.

That’s why they won’t do that.

But rest assured, “normal flying” isn’t going anywhere, and you will “normal fly” next expansion.

Same time as you have in every expansion since WOD.

When you die.

Literally- in ghost form, we’ve got normal flying.

1 Like

Again. What you have cited is a Wowhead article writer’s interpretation of what was said at the roundtable - and as I pointed out previously - it was not explicitly stated that old flying would be added. When even more recently addressed, Ion Hazzikostas stated that players are free to use their old mounts in the old world, with no mention of using them at all in Dragonflight.

It may well be that regular flying is added at some point. But for the author of that WOWHEAD article to definitively state that it will was jumping to a conclusion that has not been announced.

1 Like

If that is the case I am done with wow. They can keep this mentality and watch their game die for all I care. I left before and I will leave again. I will be gone in a few days and will come back when normal flying is added to the expansion. It is the only way I will buy it so if they do not get it in game soon I will skip this expansion like I did Shadowlands. I will watch the Forums light up when players get tired of dragon riding mechanics over and over. Why? Because people are lazy they will get tired of working to fly just watch.

7 Likes

I personally don’t hate dragonriding. I don’t love it either. It’s fun sometimes, and I haven’t found myself OVERLY hindered by not having regular flying. Love the fact I can customize my dragon and all that, it’s very cute, and the races are fun even if I’m not great at them.

That said, I wouldn’t mind regular flying to come back sooner rather than later. There are some things I’d prefer regular flying for, and some things I like zipping around with dragonriding. Even if I had to go at 100% speed on a regular flying mount or something. I understand where the regular flying enjoyers are coming from, along with the disability aspect. Having both kinds of flying is good.

1 Like

Like I said I have no problem packing up and leaving it is up to them to develop a game that appeals to a wide variety of play styles. I guarantee you after 3 months people will tire of working to fly. They will get lazy and will want their easy mode of travel back. Mark my words here and mark them again Blizzard will allow regular flying. If they do not there will be a mass walk out because people will ture of being on Dragon mounts and look over to that awesome mount drop they worked endless amounts of time to get and miss flying on it. Just watch and see!

1 Like

Hey, that’s my line.

probably another year, and even then blizzard will make us go through a bunch of bull crap to unlock it… to be honest i am so tired of a this " EXPANSION" feature we all earned in TBC has now has become this on going patch privilege feature that we have to wait, then grind to earn every single time, its one of many reasons that i continue to hate so many parts of blizzard stupid ideas for this game.

3 Likes

You forgot motion sick. Apparently the entire worlds population of people with motion sickness play wow if you believe these forums. /s

2 Likes

Agreed.

No, because my opinions are backed by fact. Such as the facts that
a) Blizzard has been struggling with making an engaging world environment when people can trivialise it with fake flying a.k.a. airswimming; and
b) has tried to restrict airswimming time and time again from outright banning it in WoD to using various time and effort gating measures to attempt to retain engagement with the world and mechanics for as long as possible; and
c) now has a viable replacement for airswimming

Yes, there is and that is that barring gimmick fights they have never allowed flying in PVE or PVP instances because it’s obvious that that would trivialise encounter mechanics. TBC fake flying a.k.a. airswimming with infinite hover is the worst mistake Blizzard ever made and they’re finally close to finding a partial solution to it.

why? You know that mounts don’t “exist” serverside don’t you right? When you cast a mount “spell” all that happens is that your character on the server gains the flag “ismounted=yes”. When you dragonride, all hat happens is that the flag that follows is “flightmodel = dragonriding”

No, they’ll allow you to dragonride with them in Dragonflight. You don’t get to choose the flight model just because you have a cosmetic mount. And you can continue to use airswimming in legacy zones. They never promised that you’d be able to airswim forever.

Which is why they’ve learned from their decisions and are betting that it won’t happen if people have dragonriding.

You think that most people are like you. I think that most people are fine with dragonriding and at any rate won’t unsub over having it instead of airswimming. Hopefully I’m right. No mass unsubbing and they can finally get over the biggest mistake in wow, TBC airswimming.

No, Because just like the game designers, I can recognise that airswimming is bad for the game.

exactly.

of course. But if the game designers agree and they put effort into making an alternate system so that infinite hover+airswim doesn’t trivialise the content and promote disengagement from the world environment as much that opinion is as good as fact in this game.

the fact that because of class and covenant choices you couldn’t access the balls in the puzzle in ZM is a bug and should be fixed. People who choose not to dragonride should be given access to all areas they could reasonably be required to go via ferries, flight points and ground mounts.

Is this conjecture / hypothesis or are you aware of a source that said that they’re going to limit dragonriding to Dragonflight and resume airswimming flight next expac? My conjecture is that it’d be much easier to come up with some in-game justification for our old flier mounts to get the dragonflight model and to restrict airswimming to legacy content areas only.

Some people were complaining that they found rapid movement tough to manage and I was wondering how they got to patch 10 without ever experiencing rapid movement in wow.

1 Like

Actually, it’s not. People seem to forget the game has only not had flying for 2 of the 18 years it’s been out. It’s literally been a core of game design for almost 90% of the game’s life.

Their big objection to it has more to do (I believe) in that it’s easier to build worlds without flying (and therefore cheaper) than with it.

:cookie:

6 Likes

Their big stated objection before WoD was it didn’t allow them to control how we encounter danger. They gave the specific example of a fort with a target in a tower and how we could fly straight to the tower, skip all the garbage mobs, and fly back out. That was the only explicit reasoning ever given for limiting flight.

Which is why dragonriding, which still allows us to fly straight to the tower, skip all the crap, kill the target, and fly back out, once again skipping all the crap, makes no sense.

9 Likes

Bingo, their stated reason makes no sense. That’s why I suspect it was more of a budgetary reason.

:cookie:

4 Likes

I went to SW and flew to DMF. What. A. Beating. Dragonriding forever!

2 Likes

hopefully never. I don’t know about other professions, but I am certain it exists for all the gathering professions, you train max knowledge in it you can get harvesting while staying mounted.

other than that, good riddance to old flying. I hope it never returns, but that will not be the case.

1 Like

Well it does because of a few reasons, your first character had to go around and collect the dragon riding glyphs, so you had to boost it up and train the skills, so it slowed us down a bit.

Then the next alts, well it doesn’t matter by that point.

Then you can’t just hover in there, you have to glide around in some cases to get in to the area other wise you’re still not circumventing the content like a regular flying mount could as easily.

Yes, we were slowed down for 2 whole hours…in an expansion that is going to last 2 years.

We can helicopter around quest areas on our dragons like we do with regular flying. I’ve done it. I’ve seen plenty of others doing it. It’s not some great challenge to circumvent content with dragonriding.

3 Likes

not everyone uses addons or handy notes.
so don’t be such a hyperbolic person.

So then if you can do that with Dragonriding, then why even complain? Your issues you have with it would lead me to believe for nefarious reasons you want to bot gather or maybe you just think it’s engagement, but you fly high in the air and afk fly in a direction…which isn’t really gaming.

In the end you will get what you want, the expansions only been out for a month, so chill out and they’ll put flying back in the next expansion to the way it was before. Stuck on the ground grinding achievements to unlock flying…not at all preferred.

1 Like

Dragonriding > Normal flying. You should be grateful that you are able to fly at launch.

2 Likes